Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

License & Permits

Hunting Licenses

License requirements are listed by game animal throughout this book. For many wildlife species a “hunting license” is one of those requirements. There are many different types of “hunting licenses” that meet this requirement, and rather than listing all of them with every species, we have listed them below. So, if a “hunting license” is required, you must possess any one of the following:

If you are a resident a “hunting license” is any one of the following:

  • Annual Hunting License
  • Annual Combination Hunting/Fishing License
  • Annual Youth Hunting License
  • Annual Youth Combination Hunting/Fishing License
  • Fiscal-Year Hunting License
  • Fiscal-Year Combination Hunting/Fishing License
  • Fiscal-Year Youth Hunting License
  • Fiscal-Year Youth Combination Hunting/Fishing License
  • 5-Year Hunting License
  • 5-Year Combination Hunting/Fishing License
  • 5-Year Disability Hunting License
  • Lifetime Hunting License
  • Lifetime Combination Hunting/Fishing License
  • Lifetime Disabled Veteran Combination Hunting/Fishing License (under 60 percent disability)
  • Lifetime Disabled Veteran Combination Hunting/Fishing License (60 percent or more disability)
  • Lifetime Senior Citizen Hunting License
  • Lifetime Senior Citizen Combination Hunting/Fishing License

If you are a nonresident a “hunting license” is any one of the following:

  • Nonresident Annual Hunting License
  • Nonresident Fiscal-Year Hunting License
  • Nonresident 5-Day Hunting License

Note: nonresidents who hold a resident lifetime license (hunting or combination) have the same exemptions as a resident lifetime license-holder.

The Nonresident Lifetime Hunting, Nonresident Lifetime Combination Hunting/Fishing, Lifetime Nonresident Small Game Hunting and Lifetime Nonresident Combination Small Game Hunting/Fishing licenses are no longer available for purchase. However, these licenses are honored for people already possessing one.

Resident vs. Nonresident

What’s the difference?

A “Resident” is any individual who has an established residence in Oklahoma for a period of not less than 60 consecutive days immediately preceding the date the application for a license is submitted. (Note: For the lifetime, senior, and 5-year licenses, the period of residency must be six months or more.) The burden of establishing proof of residency is on the person claiming residency status. A person holding a valid driver license shall be deemed to be a resident of the state issuing the license or permit.

For a valid Oklahoma driver license to be used as the sole source of proof of residency, it shall have been issued not less than 60 days prior to submission of the application. If a person does not hold a valid Oklahoma driver license, the Department may consider other reliable documentation for establishing proof of residency including, but not limited to, resident income tax returns, voter registration, motor vehicle or vessel registrations, and other public records documenting residence.

Residency status of children younger than 18 is presumed to be that of the custodial parent or legal guardian unless otherwise documented. Ownership or possession of real property in the state by a person residing outside the state shall not qualify the person as a resident. A person is not entitled to claim multiple states of residence, with the exception of active-duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces, and any dependents, when applying for annual licenses.

A “Nonresident” is any individual who is a resident of another state or who has resided in Oklahoma for a period of less than 60 days, regardless of whether he or she intends to make Oklahoma his or her home.


I’m a Resident Hunter. What Licenses Do I Need?

This is a reference chart only. Please read through this guide for complete information about hunter education, license requirements, and exemptions. This chart does not apply to good-for-life licenses such as the lifetime hunting or senior citizen licenses. See License Exemptions for information on lifetime licenses exemptions.

Species Hunted

License(s) residents need:

Deer: Archery

Hunting license & Deer archery license for each deer hunted (must be valid for the current calendar year)

Deer: Youth Gun

All: Youth deer gun license (antlered or antlerless) for each deer hunted. In addition:

16-17 years old: hunting license

Younger than 16: exempt from hunting license

• Youths may also harvest a turkey in counties having a fall rifle turkey season, provided the hunter has the appropriate turkey license.

Deer: Muzzleloader

Hunting license & Deer primitive firearms license (antlered or antlerless) for each deer hunted

Deer: Gun

Hunting license & Deer gun license (antlered or antlerless) for each deer hunted

Deer: Holiday Antlerless

Hunting license & Holiday antlerless deer gun license


Hunting license & Elk license for each elk hunted and written landowner permission


Hunting license & Antelope license for each antelope hunted and written landowner permission

Bear: Archery

Hunting license & Bear license (Must be purchased prior to the start of archery season.)

Bear: Muzzleloader

Hunting license & Bear license

(must be purchased prior to the start of muzzleloader season).
An unfilled bear archery license is also valid

Squirrel, Rabbit or Prairie Dog

Hunting license

Hog (feral swine)

Depends on the time of year. No hunting license is required to pursue
hog, except on public lands (see Small Game / Hog Regulations for public land information.)
However, individuals pursuing hog during antelope, bear, deer, or elk
firearm seasons must have the appropriate license for that season.

Quail & Pheasant

Hunting license

Turkey: Fall Archery

Hunting license & Fall turkey license

Turkey: Fall Gun

Hunting license & Fall turkey license

Turkey: Youth Spring

Hunting license & Spring turkey license

Turkey: Spring

Hunting license & Spring turkey license for each bird hunted

Dove, Rail (sora & Virginia), Gallinule (purple gallinule & common moorhen), Woodcock, Common Snipe

Hunting license & HIP (Harvest Information Program) permit

Teal, Resident Canada Goose,

Waterfowl (Ducks, Geese)

Hunting license & HIP (Harvest Information Program) permit
& State Waterfowl Stamp & Federal Migratory Bird Stamp

Replace License Online

If you lose your hunting license or hunter education certification card, don’t despair! You may now request a replacement online at the Department’s website.

To get a replacement application form, just log on to and click on “License.” Then select the type of license or card you wish to replace. Fill out the application form and mail it to us, along with the appropriate fee.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Oklahoma Wildlife Department | Oklahoma Hunting Guide allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Oklahoma Wildlife Department | Oklahoma Hunting Guide Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Oklahoma Wildlife Department | Oklahoma Hunting Guide neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: