Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

General Waterfowl Hunting Regulations

Brought to you by:

Legal Means of Taking Migratory Game Birds

Shotgun (conventional or muzzleloading), archery equipment or legal raptors. Shotguns must not be larger than 10 gauge. No rifles, pistols or shotgun slugs. Shotguns must be incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined.

Nontoxic Shot Regulations

All waterfowl (ducks, mergansers and geese) and coot hunting is restricted to use of federally-approved nontoxic shot in all areas of the state. Unless otherwise provided, all shotgun hunting on state wetland development units and state waterfowl refuges is restricted to federally-approved nontoxic shot only. Possession of lead shot while hunting waterfowl or coots and for all shotgun hunting on state wetland development units and state waterfowl refuges is prohibited. For more information on federally-approved nontoxic shot types, see

Waterfowl Hunting Blinds on Reservoirs

  • Waterfowl hunting blinds constructed on public lands are of two types: permanent blinds constructed for seasonal use, and temporary blinds constructed for only one hunting trip and removed at the end of said trip.
  • Temporary blinds only are allowed on Altus-Lugert, Arbuckle, Birch, Broken Bow, Chouteau (L&D 17), Copan, Fort Cobb, Heyburn, Hugo, Hulah, Kaw, Keystone, Newt Graham (L&D 18), Mountain Park, Oologah, Optima, Pine Creek, Robert S. Kerr (L&D 15), Skiatook, Tenkiller, Texoma and Wister reservoirs.
  • Hunters wishing to construct permanent blinds on Corps of Engineers reservoirs where blinds are permitted must first obtain a permit. Permits are not required for temporary blinds. Contact the local Corps office to request a permit.
  • Permanent or temporary blinds can be constructed on Canton, Eufaula, Fort Gibson, Fort Supply, W.D. Mayo (L&D 14), Waurika and Webbers Falls (L&D 16) reservoirs.
    • Permanent blind permits are issued by public drawing, annually for Eufaula, Fort Gibson, W.D. Mayo (L&D 14), Waurika and Webbers Falls (L&D 16) reservoirs. The drawings will be held on Saturday, September 17, 2011. Drawings for Eufaula Lake, Fort Gibson Lake, and Webbers Falls Reservoir will be held at the ODWC office in Porter (9097 N 34th St.). Registration for Fort Gibson Lake begins at 7:00 a.m., registration for Eufaula Lake begins at 9:30 a.m. and registration for Webbers Falls begins at 12:00 p.m. The drawings are held an hour after registration begins. Registration and drawing for W.D. Mayo will be held at Spiro City Hall (510 S. Main St.) at 10:00 a.m. Registration and drawing for Waurika Lake will be held at the Waurika Lake Corps of Engineers office at 9:00 a.m.
    • Permanent blind permits are issued on a first come, first served basis for Canton and Fort Supply reservoirs.
    • In some cases, permanent blind permits remain after the drawing. Contact the Biologist of the area of interest to see if any permits are available after the drawings.
  • Applicants for permanent blind permits must be at least 16 years old and possess a valid hunting license, HIP permit, a signed Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation stamp (federal duck stamp) and a valid Oklahoma Waterfowl Hunting license (state duck stamp), unless exempt.
  • All individuals wanting a permanent blind permit must attend the permit drawings.
  • Permit holders must conspicuously display the permit number in the blind throughout the waterfowl season.
  • Blinds must be constructed within 25 yards of designated locations. No blinds, whether temporary or permanent, shall be constructed within 250 yards of another blind.
  • Blinds must be constructed two weeks prior to the opening day of waterfowl season, otherwise the blind may be reissued on a first come, first served basis. All blinds must be removed within 14 days after the close of waterfowl season. Blinds remaining after this date shall become the property of the Department.
  • Permit holders will have priority use on their blind each day until 7:30 a.m. After this time, unoccupied blinds will be available to others. Blinds must not be locked.
  • Noncompliance with regulations will result in a citation or forfeiture of right to obtain a blind permit the next year.

Waterfowl Hunting on Department Lakes

Waterfowl hunting is permitted on the following Department lakes from Sept. 1 through Mar. 31 during all open waterfowl seasons: American Horse, Burtschi, Evans-Chambers, Hall, Jap Beaver, Nanih Waiya, Ozzie Cobb, Schooler and Vanderwork. Only temporary blinds may be used on these lakes.

The following Department lakes are closed to hunting: Elmer, Etling, Raymond Gary, Watonga and Wayne Wallace.

Wildlife Management Areas

Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs), including lakes Dahlgren (within Lexington WMA) and Vincent (within Ellis County WMA), are open to waterfowl hunting during applicable open seasons except when they are closed for controlled hunts and unless otherwise closed for other hunting seasons. Please consult the Public Lands section in the current Oklahoma Hunting Guide for specific closed dates.

Waterfowl Refuge Portion

Waterfowl Refuge Portions (WRP’s), are areas closed to all public use and access from Oct. 15 – Jan. 31, except for controlled hunt permittees on days of their hunt, and unless specifically noted otherwise. In addition, all shotgun hunting is restricted to federally-approved nontoxic shot and the possession of lead shot is prohibited. This includes WRP areas at Canton, Ft. Gibson, Hackberry Flat, Hugo, McClellan-Kerr, Red Slough and Wister.

Wetland Development Units

Wetland Development Units (WDUs) are wetland units where all shotgun hunting is restricted to federally-approved nontoxic shot and the possession of lead shot is prohibited. In addition, shooting hours for waterfowl close at 1 p.m., daily.


Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Department of Wildlife Conservation allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Department of Wildlife Conservation Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Department of Wildlife Conservation neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
This is not the full law. Consult the Department of Wildlife Conservation for further details. All persons are reminded that the statutes, code and regulations are the legal authorities.
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: