Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

I lost my fishing license. Do I have to buy another one to fish?

No. You can obtain a replacement license. Go online to to download a replacement application, or send us this information: type of license you lost (annual, lifetime, senior citizen’s, etc.), your name, date of birth, address, driver’s license or Social Security number, location and approximate date when you bought your license. Replacement costs are $1.50 for annual licenses; $5 for five-year licenses; and $10 for lifetime licenses and senior citizen licenses. Mail your replacement application and a money order to ODWC License Section, P.O. Box 53465, Oklahoma City, OK 73152. Annual licenses bought at can be replaced for $4.50 by returning to the license sales page online.

Who qualifies for a disability license?

The disability license is available to any person who has been a resident of Oklahoma for six months and is receiving disability benefits through Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, Railroad Retirement, United States Postal Service, or Multiple Injury Trust Fund. Applications can be downloaded from or requested from the Wildlife Department. Proper verification of receipt of benefits from the appropriate organization must be submitted with a completed application. For more information or to get an application, call (405) 521-3852.

I have a problem affecting my farm pond. Can you help?

The Wildlife Department’s Fisheries Division offers free technical assistance to landowners who have questions about managing ponds on their property. Many times, problems with fish diseases, growth, harvest, aquatic vegetation control and clearing muddy water can be diagnosed over the telephone. Any landowner in Oklahoma is eligible for technical assistance. Call the Fisheries Division at (405) 521-3721. You may be referred to a fisheries biologist in your area for additional assistance.

I’m going to Grandpa’s farm and want to fish in his pond. Do I have to buy a fishing license?

No. Resident owners or tenants, their spouses, parents, grandparents, children and their spouses, grandchildren and their spouses are not required to have a fishing license when fishing in a private body of water on land that is owned by the resident owner or tenant.

Where can I find information about lake water levels in Oklahoma?

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers operates a telephone line listing lake levels, planned water discharges and times, and water clarity. The number is (918) 669-752, or go online to For current Oklahoma water data from the U.S. Geological Service, go online to

Is the Alabama rig legal? How many hooks can it have?

The rig is legal to fish with in Oklahoma. There is no limit on the number of hooks.

Am I trespassing when I fish from my canoe or boat on a creek or
a river?

Water is considered part of public lands, so it is not considered trespassing. However, the land surrounding the creek as well as the creek bed is considered private.

What do I need to know about registering my boat and motor?

The Oklahoma Tax Commission requires most boats and outboard motors greater than 10 horsepower to be titled and registered. To learn about requirements and to download forms, go online to or visit any tag agency.

How can I find out about Oklahoma’s boating laws and boating safety manual?

The Oklahoma Lake Patrol oversees boating laws and safety. Online versions of Oklahoma’s boating safety manual are available at

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Department of Wildlife Conservation allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Department of Wildlife Conservation Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Department of Wildlife Conservation neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: