Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

"Close to Home" Fishing

Brought to you by:

Looking for a nearby lake or pond to fish?

Through agreements between Oklahoma municipalities and the Wildlife Department, these areas offer excellent “Close to Home” fishing opportunities in metro areas.

Close-to-Home Fishing waters have the following restrictions:

  • Fishing is limited to no more than three rods and reels per person, with no more than three hooks per line (treble hooks are considered one hook). No other fishing methods are allowed, except noodling is allowed in the North Canadian River from the NW 10th Street bridge downstream to the MacArthur Street bridge in OKC.
  • All largemouth bass caught must be released (returned to the water) immediately after being taken; no harvest is allowed.
  • Channel catfish and blue catfish have a combined daily limit of six; only one blue catfish over 30 inches.
  • No netting of any kind (including castnetting).

For all other species, consult the statewide regulations.

Oklahoma City – (405) 755-4014:

  • Crystal Lake (6625 SW 15th). Fishing pier may be reserved for youth-related aquatic programs. For more information, contact City Care at (405) 313-6033.
  • Dolese Youth Park (5105 NW 50th)
  • Edwards Park (1515 N Bryant Avenue)
  • Kids Lake (3200 W Wilshire Boulevard)
  • Oklahoma River from NW 10th Street bridge to NE 10th Street bridge; Wetland Ponds at Walker, Pennsylvania, and Western Avenues.
  • Route 66 Park (9901 NW 23rd)
  • South Lakes Regional Park (4210 SW 119th) – west pond fishing access is closed.
  • Waters of the Stinchcomb Wildlife Refuge (5101 N Stinchcomb Avenue)
  • Zoo Lake (2101 NE 50th) east shoreline only

Choctaw – (405) 390-8198:

  • Choctaw Creek Park (NE 23rd Street and Harper Road)
  • Ten Acre Park (NE 10th Street and Choctaw Road)

Del City – (405) 671-2868:

  • Eagle Lake (3405 E Reno)

Edmond – (405) 216-7641:

  • Hafer Park (1034 S Bryant Avenue)
  • Mitch Park (1501 W Covell Road)
  • Bickham-Rudkin Park (450 E 33rd Street)

Enid – (580) 554-1536:

  • Meadowlake Park (Corner of South Van Buren St. & West Rupe Avenue)
  • Government Springs North Park (300 South 5th Street)
  • Crosslin Park (1600 block West Purdue Avenue)
  • City of Enid Water Works (1400 block West Chestnut Avenue)

Guthrie – (405) 282-3535:

  • Mineral Wells Park (Division and Mineral Wells Circle)
  • Highland Park (Warner Avenue and N Drexel Boulevard)

Harrah – (405) 454-2951:

  • Heritage Park (1374 N Church Avenue)

Jones – (405) 399-5301:

  • Battey Mulhousen Park (N Henney Road and W Main Street)

Lawton – (580) 581-3400:

  • Elmer Thomas Park – Lake Helen (I-44 and NW Cache Road)

Moore – (405) 793-5090:

  • Little River Park (700 SW 4th)
  • Buck Thomas Park Pond
    (1903 NE 12th Street)

Mustang – (405) 376-7739:

  • Wildhorse Park (SW 59th and Mustang Road)

Norman – (405) 366-5472:

  • George M. Sutton Urban Wilderness Area (12th Avenue NE and
    Rock Creek Road)
  • Norman Lions Northeast Park (1800 Northcliff Avenue)
  • Griffin Community Park (1001 E Robinson)

Yukon – (405) 354-7208:

  • City Park (2200 S Holly Street)
  • Welch Park (615 Annawood Road)
  • Robertson Activity Center (1200 Lakeshore Drive)

Partners in Conservation

Much of the conservation and enhancement work in Oklahoma would not be possible without the vital support of our various partners and supporters. The Wildlife Department, and in turn you as a sportsman, are fortunate to have quality organizations that have made significant contributions to fisheries management in Oklahoma. These organizations are featured on our website at Please visit the site to read about the ongoing projects that enhance Oklahoma’s waterways and expand fishing and boating access.

Boating and Fishing Access Program

Boat Launch.psdThe next time you guide a boat down a boat ramp into your favorite fishing lake, look around for a “Sport Fish Restoration” sign. Every time you see one of those signs, you’ll know you contributed to improving your fishing experience.

The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation (ODWC) cooperates with cities, state agencies, counties and other government entities in the construction and maintenance of boating and fishing access facilities on water bodies across the state through the Sport Fish Restoration Program. The Sport Fish Restoration Program involves federal and state fish and game agencies, the sport fishing industry, anglers and boaters, and local cooperators.

Here’s how it works. Wholesale manufacturers pay a 10 percent federal excise tax on most sportfishing tackle like rods, reels, artificial lures, and tackle boxes. A three percent federal excise tax is collected on electric trolling motors and certain fish finders. Duties are charged for imported fishing tackle, pleasure boats and yachts. The portion of the federal fuel tax attributable to motorboat fuel completes the funding. These tax dollars are collected by the U.S. Treasury and disbursed to the state fish and game agencies.

Boating access facility improvements have included boat ramps, boating courtesy docks, restrooms, lighting, parking areas and entrance roads.

Fishing access facility improvements have included docks designed especially for fishing, enclosed fishing docks with heat and air conditioning, fishing berms, platforms, aeration devises to oxygenate fishing ponds, restrooms, lighting, parking areas and entrance roads.

ODWC cooperates with cities, state agencies, counties and other government entities in the construction, repair and maintenance of boating and fishing access facilities on a 75 percent ODWC / 25 percent cooperator cost-share basis. For boating courtesy docks only, the ODWC may purchase and install the dock after the cooperator has contributed at least a 25 percent share.

One of the nicest aspects of both the Boating and Fishing Access facilities is that they are constructed to be totally accessible to persons with disabilities. Handicapped persons simply cannot use many of the older docks around the state. These projects will introduce many water related activities that special needs individuals have not been able to enjoy before.

For more information about the boating access program, please contact the Department of Wildlife Conservation, Fisheries Division at (405) 521-3721.

Sport Fish & Wildlife Restoration

Sport and Wild Resto.psdOklahoma anglers, boaters and hunters provide important funds for expanding outdoor opportunities in the state through the Wildlife & Sport Fish Restoration Program. Here’s how the program works: Hunting and fishing equipment (along with percentage of boat and small engine gasoline sales) carries a federal tax that is collected from the manufacturer. These taxes are then distributed to the state fish and wildlife agencies by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service through the Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Program

Oklahoma anglers have benefited from these funds with expanded fishing and boating access, improved aquatic habitat and restored streams and rivers. The Sport Fish Restoration Program also supports the Aquatic Resources Education Program, which helps pass on the joys of angling to future generations.

Developed in 1988, the Aquatic Resources Education Program hosts seminars and fishing clinics all across the state where people of all ages can learn and practice fishing. During these one-day events, certified volunteer instructors work with participants to teach safe casting skills, knot tying, outdoor ethics, fish identification and other topics.


Without anglers’ and boaters’ support through the Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Program, aquatic education clinics would not be possible. So keep fishing, anglers, and thanks!

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Department of Wildlife Conservation allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Department of Wildlife Conservation Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Department of Wildlife Conservation neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
This is not the full law. Consult theDepartment of Wildlife Conservation for further details. All persons are reminded that the statutes, code and regulations are the legal authorities.
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: