Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

License information


Senior (70+)/Military Disability1

$ 5

Annual Fishing

$ 29

7 Day Fishing

$ 15

1 Day Fishing

$ 5


$ 47

Sportsman (Senior 70+)

$ 10

Super Sportsman3

$ 88

Conservation Legacy4

$ 96


Annual Fishing

$ 70

7 Day Fishing

$ 35

1 Day Fishing

$ 15

Super Sportsman3

$ 280

Lifetime Licenses

Lifetime Sportsman2 (age 4 or younger)


Lifetime Sportsman2 (age 5–11)


Lifetime Fishing


Senior Lifetime Fishing (70+)


1 For specifics concerning this license type, call 518-402-8843.

2 License type that allows the holder to hunt small and big game, and to freshwater fish.

3 License type that allows the holder to hunt small and big game and freshwater fish, plus bow hunting, muzzleloader hunting and turkey hunting.

4 License type that includes super sportsman license, subscription to New York Conservationist magazine and a Habitat and Access Stamp. The Habitat and Access Stamp is a voluntary stamp. Revenues go into a dedicated account within the Conservation Fund and are used for projects that protect and improve habitat, and provide access for fishing, hunting and other wildlife-related recreation.

License Requirements for Border Waters

Does a New York State fishing license entitle holder to fish the out-of-state portion of waters listed below?




Lake Ontario



Lake Erie

Ontario, Pennsylvania


St. Lawrence River

Ontario, Quebec


Niagara River



Lake Champlain





Delaware River & West Branch Delaware River (along boundary)



Greenwood Lake

New Jersey


Indian Lake



a All Vermont portions of Lake Champlain with the exception of The Inland Sea (including “The Gut”), Mallett’s Bay, Missisquoi Bay and all rivers. (See map in Lake Champlain Regulations)

b New York license permits fishing out-of-state portion from boat or ice only.

License requirements

Everyone must have a valid fishing license in their possession while fishing or helping someone to fish except:

  • NYS-resident owners, lessees and members of their immediate families occupying and cultivating farm lands, when fishing on their own lands.
  • Persons holding farm fish pond licenses and members of their immediate families, when fishing on waters covered by their licenses.
  • Resident patients at Dept. of Mental Health institutions and Dept. of Health rehabilitation hospitals, and inmates at Division of Youth rehabilitation centers. License exemptions must be requested for such persons through the hospital/institution by writing NYSDEC License Sales Unit, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-4790, or by e-mailing
  • Persons under 16 years of age.
  • When fishing on licensed fishing preserves.

Free licenses

The following individuals are eligible for a free fishing license and may obtain a license at any license issuing outlet:

  • New York State residents who are blind.
  • New York State residents who are active service members of the NYS Organized Militia (i.e., National Guard), or U.S. Reserve Forces.
  • New York State residents stationed outside of New York who are on full time active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and are on leave in NY for no longer than 30 days.
  • Resident patients at U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs hospitals or state funded facilities can obtain a free fishing license through their hospital or facility.
  • Native Americans who are members of the Shinnecock and Poospatuck tribes or the Six Nations residing on reservations in New York State may obtain a free fishing license by contacting their reservation or DEC’s License Sales Office at (518) 402-8843.

Lost license replacement

A lost license may be replaced for $5.00 for each license type at any license issuing outlet.

Recreational Marine Fishing Registry

Anglers 16 years of age and older who desire to fish in the marine and coastal district of New York, or for migratory marine species such as striped bass, hickory shad, and river herring from all waters of the state including the Hudson River and Delaware River must enroll in the Recreational Marine Fishing Registry. General provisions include:

  • There is no fee for residents or non-residents to register. (See resident licenses below for residency requirement).
  • Registration is effective from January 1 through December 31 each year.
  • Anglers may register at any sporting license issuing agent, by phone, or by Internet as noted below, under “Purchasing a License.”

License or Registry Requirements for Fishing in the Tidal Hudson River or Marine and Coastal District


Species Fishing For

License or Registry

North of Tappan Zee Bridge

Freshwater Species

“Freshwater” Fishing License

Migratory Marine Species

Recreational Marine Fishing Registry

South of Tappan Zee Bridge (marine and coastal district)

All Species

For additional information concerning the Recreational Marine Fishing Registry, contact the DEC Bureau of Marine Resources at (631) 444-0435 or visit the DEC website at

License privileges

Persons holding a freshwater fishing license or combined hunting and fishing license (including those entitled to fish without a license) may take fish by angling, spearing, hooking, longbow, nets, traps and tip ups; take frogs by spearing, catching with the hands or by use of a club or hook; and take baitfish for personal use, all as permitted by law or DEC.

  • The holder of a license, tag or stamp shall have such license, tag or stamp on his/her person while exercising any privilege of that license.
  • The holder of a license, tag or stamp shall exhibit it on demand to any police officer, peace officer, or the owner, lessee or other person in control of the lands or waters on which the license holder is present.
  • No license or stamp authorizes the holder to trespass upon private lands or waters or interfere with property belonging to another person.

Resident licenses

To qualify for a resident license, one must reside in New York State for more than 30 days immediately preceding the date of application for a license. Property ownership in New York State is not a residency requirement.

Residency is a fixed, permanent and principal home to which a person (regardless wherever temporarily located) always intends to return. Proof of residency is the address listed on a person’s registration to vote in elections for any public office other than school board. If applicant is under 18, the residence of parents or legal guardian shall be deemed such person’s residence.

Active members of the U.S. Armed Forces stationed in the state, and full-time college students in residence in the state during the school year (proof required) also qualify for resident licenses.

Lifetime licenses

Buy a lifetime license and never worry about future fee increases. Lifetime licenses are available only to New York State residents, but remain valid even if you move out of state.

Lifetime licenses can now be purchased at all license issuing outlets. For more information, visit DEC’s website or contact us at:

License Sales Unit


625 Broadway

Albany, NY 12233-4790

(518) 402-8843

Purchasing a license

Fishing licenses may be purchased at license issuing agents (town and county clerks, some major discount stores and many tackle shops and sporting goods stores) throughout New York State. Licenses may also be purchased online through DEC’s Automated Licensing System (DECALS), by calling 1-86-NY-DECALS. VISA and MasterCard are accepted. For further information, go to Resident license buyers also must have a NYS driver’s license, learners permit or non-driver’s ID for online purchases.


Please do not laminate your license. The heat from this process will cause it to become unreadable.


Note: Periodically, DEC or its designated agent(s) may use contact information from license holders to communicate with license holders and to conduct surveys and research involving New York State fish and wildlife. The information obtained will provide public input on fish and wildlife management actions and human interactions with New York’s fish and wildlife resources.


Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: