Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Deer Management Permits (DMPs)

Brought to you by:

Hunters possessing a DMP may take one antlerless deer per permit in addition to any deer that may be taken with a regular big game license or bowhunting and muzzleloading privileges.

  • DMPs may not be used for legally antlered deer (at least one antler 3″ or longer)
  • DMPs may only be used in the WMU for which they are issued.
  • Hunters may transfer or receive up to 2 DMPs from other hunters (see box this page).
  • Refer to chart for information on when DMPs may be used.

Applying For A Deer Management Permit (DMP)

2011 dmp.eps

  • DMP Application Deadline: Close of business on October 1, 2011.
  • You may apply for DMPs at all license issuing outlets, by phone, mail or on-line beginning on August 15, 2011.
  • DMPs are available to all big game hunters age 14 years or older who purchase or possess a regular big game hunting license (12 years old for Junior Bowhunting license holders).
  • There is a $10 non-refundable application fee for all applicants, except for holders of Lifetime Sportsman licenses purchased prior to 9/30/2009, and Junior Hunters & Junior Bowhunters.
  • Know your Wildlife Management Unit (WMU) before you apply. If you are unsure of your unit, see the WMU maps or for written boundary descriptions. Your may also call the DMP Hotline for additional information at 1-866-472-4332.
  • You may apply for up to two DMPs. Both must be applied for at the same time. Application can be for DMPs in the same WMU or different WMUs.
  • Chances of selection for 1st and 2nd DMPs for Residents and Nonresidents can be viewed at They are also posted at all license issuing outlets or you may call the DMP Hotline at 1-866-472-4332. Chances of DMP selection remain the same throughout the entire DMP application period.
  • Disabled Veterans with a service-connected disability rated at 40% or greater (who are residents of New York) will receive preference on DMPs. Annually, you must bring a letter from the Veteran’s Administration, dated in the current year, with your case number and your disability percentage. If you are claiming permanent disabled status, the letter must clearly state that the service-related disability is ‘permanent.’
  • Landowners: If you own 50 or more contiguous acres of land within the WMU you will be hunting in, you will receive preference on DMP selection. Annually, you must bring your tax map identification number and SWIS code (found on your tax bill) with you when you apply. Be sure to tell the license issuing agent PRIOR to applying that you are a landowner. Lessees do not qualify as landowners. A spouse of a landowner may receive landowner preference, but both husband and wife may not apply as a landowner for the same parcel of land. Corporate ownership: only one person may be designated by a corporation as the landowner each year no matter how many 50-acre parcels are owned. The corporation must submit an original letter or certified copy of a resolution, dated in the current year, designating the individual and must include the tax map ID and SWIS code information.
  • Preference Points:
    • Preference points are won and lost on first permit selection only.
    • If you do not receive a DMP in your first choice WMU, you will receive a preference point for the following year.
    • If you were rejected for a first permit in 2010 and have a preference point for the 2011 hunting season, this information is stored in DECALS and will be available to all license issuing agents.
    • Preference points do not guarantee selection. Any preference points contained in your file are automatically applied to your first-choice WMU selection. If you do NOT receive your first choice, the points are applied to your second choice, but will remain in your file for the following year, regardless of your second choice selection results.

DMP Selection Order

During the Instant issuance, an applicant’s chances of selection are determined by an applicant’s category. The categories, in priority order, are as follows.

  1. Landowners (50 or more acres of land within a WMU) and Disabled Veterans (40% or more service-related disability). All applicants in this category will receive their first-choice DMP.
  2. NYS Residents with Preference Points
  3. NYS Residents without Preference Points
  4. Nonresidents with Preference Points
  5. Nonresidents without Preference Points

Additional Opportunities For DMPs

Bonus DMPs: If you fill a DMP in bowhunting-only WMUs 1C, 3S, 4J and 8C, you can apply for a bonus permit for a deer of either sex. Bonus permits may only be obtained from regional wildlife staff at predetermined locations. For complete information, visit our website or call a DEC regional wildlife office as follows:

  • WMU 1C: 1-631-444-0310
  • WMU 3S: 1-845-256-3098
  • WMU 4J: 1-518-357-2049
  • WMU 8C: 1-585-226-5380

Leftover DMPs: If there are still permits remaining after the initial DMP Instant issuance period closes on October 1 and the backend correction selections have occurred, the remaining DMPs may be available on a first-come/first-served basis, beginning on or around November 1. These DMPs are only available in person at license-issuing agents. Leftover DMPs will not be available by phone or by mail. The Wildlife Management Units with permits available will be announced by news release and on our website ( If you already applied for a Deer Management Permit during the initial application period, there is no additional application fee. If you are applying for the first time this hunting season, you will have to pay a $10 application fee. Fee is waived for Resident and Nonresident Junior Hunters and Junior Bowhunters, and for Lifetime Sportsman licenses purchased prior to October 1, 2009. You will be allowed up to two DMPs during the first-come/first-served application period in addition to any you may have received during the initial application period.

Deer Management Assistance Program

The Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) enables wildlife biologists to help landowners and resource managers implement site specific deer management on their lands. In doing so, the DEC issues a special permit for use only during the open deer hunting seasons and a determined number of antlerless deer tags to landowners or resource managers whose property is in need of site specific deer management efforts. For more information on the program refer to

How To Transfer A DMP Deer Carcass Tag

  • page 28 dmpfilled_1_opt_opt.pngHunter Art Fern of this DMP carcass tag must sign bottom.
  • The DMP Deer Tag is given to Pete Moss.
  • Hunter Pete Moss must record the DOC# tag on his reporting panel. This allows this DMP carcass tag to be transferred.
  • Hunter Pete Moss is allowed only two transferred DMPs per year whether he uses the tag(s) or not.
  • pmpanelw_1_opt_opt.pngIf hunter Pete Moss does not use the DMP Deer Tag, he can give it back to Art Fern or give it to another hunter. The other hunter must then record the DOC# from the DMP deer tag on his/her reporting panel.

REMEMBER: Hunting licenses are not transferable. Only DMP Deer Tags can be used by another hunter.

NOTE: To report a deer taken on a transferred DMP, the hunter who took the deer must call the automated reporting system (1-866-426-3778) or report via the internet at using the transferred DMP carcass tag DOC# and his/her own date of birth, along with other required information.

It is NOT legal to buy, sell, or offer to sell a DMP!


The Division of Lands and Forests in Sherburne, NY, will have DMAP tags available for use only on Beaver Meadow State Forest in Chenango County this hunting season for interested hunters with a valid license. Tags are valid only for antlerless deer and will be loaned out on a weekly basis, determined by lottery drawing, depending on demand. Hunters may apply in person at the Sherburne Lands and Forests office, find the application on the DEC website,, contact or send a self addressed stamped envelope to the DEC Lands and Forests office in Sherburne requesting an application. NYS DEC, Division of Lands and Forests, 2715 State Hwy 80, Sherburne, NY 13460.


Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The New York Department of Environmental Conservation allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with New York Department of Environmental Conservation Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The New York Department of Environmental Conservation neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
This is not the full law. Consult the New York Department of Environmental Conservation for further details. All persons are reminded that the statutes, code and regulations are the legal authorities.
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: