Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Access To Hunting Areas

Brought to you by:

For information, go to

Private Lands

Always ASK landowner permission to hunt on private land. If it were your land, how would you want a visitor to act?

  • Be courteous—ASK permission well in advance.
  • ASK what is permitted. What species can be hunted? Are tree stands allowed?
  • ASK if friends can join you.
  • Exercise safety—always!
  • Thank the landowner.

Many landowners use ASK permission stickers on their signs which show the landowners’ willingness to allow access to their lands. They are available for free from your local regional wildlife office or from DEC, 625 Broadway, Albany NY 12233-4754. For more information on hunting on private lands, visit our website:

Remember: Damaging bark or cutting trees, branches or plants is illegal without permission of the landowner.

Rights of way, such as for power lines and railroads, that cross private property are NOT public land. Trespassing on these areas without permission from the landowner is illegal.

FWMA Cooperative Areas

Through cooperative agreements under New York’s Fish and Wildlife Management Act (FWMA), Cooperative Hunting Areas provide access and management services to privately-owned lands in order to increase public hunting opportunities. When using these areas, remember that you are a guest on private property. Littering and other abuses will only result in closure of many excellent hunting areas.

A Word About Liability

Whether or not the land is posted, New York State General Obligations Law protects landowners from liability for non-paying recreationists engaged in hunting, trapping and fishing on their property. Because of this protection, recreational liability lawsuits against rural landowners are uncommon. This protection does not apply in cases of willful or malicious failure to guard or warn against dangers.

State Lands

For information on hunting and trapping opportunities and rules governing the use of state land, contact the regional office for the county where you would like to hunt or trap. Wildlife staff can provide information on wildlife management areas (WMAs) and Cooperative Hunting Areas. Forestry staff and NYS Forest Rangers can provide details on state forest lands and the forest preserve. In some instances, written permission or permits are required to use state areas. These are available from DEC regional offices during normal business hours.

Motorized Access To State Lands

DEC has designated roads and trails on state forests and wildlife management areas and on roads in the forest preserve for motor vehicle use by authorized people with disabilities who have a mobility impairment. The list of these opportunities, along with information on how to obtain a statewide permit for this purpose, is available by writing to the Regional Land Manager at DEC regional offices.

Wildlife Management Areas

The Division of Fish, Wildlife, and Marine Resources manages about 187,000 acres of wildlife management areas. These areas are located throughout the state and contain a variety of different types of habitat and wildlife. They are managed primarily for wildlife and wildlife-related public use.

WMAs have specific use regulations in addition to the general use regulations for state land. Hunting, trapping, and fishing are permitted, except as specifically restricted by posted notice.

On wildlife management areas, it is unlawful to:

  • Camp without written permission
  • Travel off-road by use of motorcycles, motor scooters, mopeds, trail bikes, snowmobiles or any other motorized vehicle, except as specifically allowed by a permit or posted notice
  • Remove, cut or willfully damage or destroy living vegetation of any kind
  • Construct or place a permanent structure, blind, stand or platform (includes placement of nails or other hardware into trees)
  • Leave any personal property at the time of leaving the area
  • Enter upon property posted with No Trespassing signs, except with written permission from DEC

Lands and Forests

The Division of Lands and Forests manages nearly 4,000,000 acres of land, located in almost every county of the state. From the remote locations of the Adirondack and Catskill mountains to the rolling hills of the western parts of the state and the forested areas on Long Island, a wide range of hunting and trapping opportunities await the outdoor recreationist.

Forest Preserve

Hunting and trapping are permitted in the Adirondack and Catskill Forest Preserves.
State-owned lands located within these preserves are designated “Forever Wild.” All state land rules and camping requirements apply to the preserves, as well as additional rules specific to certain areas. Contact the regional DEC office or nearest NYS Forest Ranger for further information.

State Parks

Many state parks offer waterfowl, small game and big game hunting. For more information, contact the appropriate DEC regional office or visit the state parks website ( Call each state park to find out specific hunting and access regulations. For a listing of state parks that allow deer hunting, visit the DEC website:

State Forest (Reforestation Land)

Outside the Adirondacks and Catskills, reforestation areas are the most common type of state lands. Many recreational activities can be pursued on reforestation areas, including hunting and trapping. Reforestation areas are marked with signs saying “State Forest.”

In some instances, permits are required to camp overnight on undeveloped state forest lands. Unless specifically prohibited, groups of less than 10 people may camp on state forest lands (other than developed campgrounds and wildlife management areas) for three nights without a permit. To camp for four nights or more, a permit must be obtained. Groups of 10 or more people need a permit to camp on such lands for one night. Further information may be obtained from DEC regional offices for the county you want to camp in or from local NYS Forest Rangers.

Remember, it is unlawful to:

  • Cut or injure trees (including construction of permanent tree stands, construction of natural blinds, clearing of shooting lanes around portable stands, placement of nails or other hardware into trees, or use of live trees as targets while sighting-in firearms).
  • Erect, use or maintain a building or structure.
  • Store personal property.
  • Deposit or leave any litter or rubbish.
  • Operate a motor vehicle, including an all-terrain vehicle, off maintained roads except where specifically allowed.
  • Camp without a permit when a permit is required.

Other Areas To Hunt

  • Whitney Point Reservoir Recreation Area (federal): Located on State Route 26 several miles north of the Village of Whitney Point in Broome and Cortland counties. Offers big and small game hunting opportunities. No special hunting permits are needed.
  • Moose River Recreation Area (state): Located in Hamilton County. Hunting and trapping opportunities in a 50,000 acre wilderness setting. Register at the gate. 140 primitive camping sites. Extensive seasonal road network.
  • Finger Lakes National Forest (federal): Located east of Seneca Lake in Schuyler and Seneca Counties. Small and big game hunting opportunities. No special hunting permits are needed.
  • Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge (federal): Located at the north end of Cayuga Lake in Seneca County. Offers big game and waterfowl hunting opportunities. This area is also open for deer hunting on a controlled basis during both the bowhunting and regular seasons. Permits are required. When deer management permit use is allowed, WMU 8J permits are valid. For current information on seasons, permits, maps and regulations, write:
    Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge
    3395 Route 5/20 East
    Seneca Falls, NY 13148
    Telephone (315) 568-5987
  • Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge (federal): Located east of Lockport in Genesee and Orleans counties. Offers small game and waterfowl hunting opportunities. This area is also open for deer hunting during both the bowhunting and regular seasons. Detailed information available from:
    Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge
    1101 Casey Road
    Basom, NY 14013
    Telephone (585) 948-5445
  • Long Island: For a brochure on areas to hunt and for access permits, write to:
    Hunting Opportunities, NYS DEC
    SUNY Stony Brook
    50 Circle Rd. 
    Stony Brook, NY 11790-3404
  • West Point Military Reservation (federal): Located in Orange County. Open for deer hunting during the late and regular seasons only. Deer management permit required. Contact USMA Wildlife Biologist at (845)-938-3857.
  • Fort Drum Military Installation (federal): Wildlife Management Unit 6H, located in Jefferson and Lewis counties. Over half of the 107,000 acre installation is open to the public for hunting and trapping. See the Fort Drum Fish and Wildlife Management Program web site for more information: (search for “wildlife) or call (315) 772-9636.
  • New York City Watershed Lands: The New York City Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) allows deer, bear, turkey, and small game hunting on specially designed City Water Supply lands. Hunters must possess the appropriate, valid New York State hunting license and a valid Access Permit to hunt on designated hunting areas on City Water Supply lands. For more information, including maps, go to

Public Campgrounds

Camping is sometimes available during the big game season. Reservations for DEC campgrounds can be made by calling 1-800-456-CAMP or online at

Licensed Guides

For information on licensed professional guides in New York, contact NYS DEC, 625 Broadway, NY 12233-2560 or phone (518) 402-8838.

Remember: It is a crime to possess a rifle, shotgun or firearm in or upon buildings or grounds used for educational purposes (see Penal Law Section 265.01-3).


New York Indian Reservations

Some tribal governments have made provisions for limited public hunting, trapping, fishing and snagging access, while others do not permit non-Indians to hunt, trap, fish or snag on their land. Check with the governing tribal office to determine the requirements for hunting, trapping, fishing and snagging within the reservation boundaries. A special permit is required.


ASK Permission

ASK Permission stickers, a brochure explaining the program, Landowner Permission forms, and information about fish and wildlife conservation are available free from DEC regional wildlife offices or by writing:

NYSDEC, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-4754



Use of all terrain vehicles (ATVs) and off road vehicles (ORVs) is restricted on most state land.


Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The New York Department of Environmental Conservation allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with New York Department of Environmental Conservation Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The New York Department of Environmental Conservation neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
This is not the full law. Consult the New York Department of Environmental Conservation for further details. All persons are reminded that the statutes, code and regulations are the legal authorities.
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: