Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Licenses, Permits & Stamps

License Information


Regulations in red are new this year. Purple text indicates an important note.


Deer Permits are valid for the 2010–2011 hunting season. New Jersey sporting licenses are valid for the calendar year.

All persons hunting or trapping must be properly licensed. It is unlawful for any person age 10 or older to hunt without a hunting license. It is unlawful for any person age 12 or older to trap without a trapping license. See license and permit fees. See below for youth license information. All hunters and trappers must openly display their license and any applicable deer, turkey or bear permit in the middle of the back on their outer clothing and must show their license to any law enforcement officer or any person requesting to see it.

Licenses, permits and stamps may be purchased using Fish and Wildlife’s Internet sales site, from approved license agents, or by calling (888) 773-8450.

Do NOT heat laminate the durable license or permit. High temperature will destroy these waterproof, heat-sensitive documents.

Child Support Certifications

The “Child Support Program Improvement Act” requires Fish and Wildlife to collect and maintain Social Security numbers and a child support obligation certification from license applicants and to make the collection of this information part of the license application. To comply, Fish and Wildlife, working with the Division of Law in the Office of the Attorney General, created the Supplemental License Application available on the Fish and Wildlife Web site or at license agents.

The online child support application allows an individual to be certified from the privacy of their home. Once completed—either over the Internet or at a license agent—the certification remains valid for the calendar year in which the certification was completed.

Farmer License Exemption

A farmer and the immediate members of the family who also reside on the farm may hunt, trap and fish on the farm without being licensed or possessing a valid rifle permit. For details, see Farmer Hunting and Permit Information.

All farmers should have a Conservation Identification number (CID). Apply now for a free CID either at a license agent or online at No purchase required. All hunters will need a CID when Fish and Wildlife transitions to an automated deer checking system in the near future.

Hunter and Trapper Education Requirements

New Jersey requires everyone applying to hunt with a shotgun, rifle or bow must show a previous resident license of the appropriate type from this or any state, or a course completion card from the appropriate hunter education course.

The New Jersey Hunter Education Program is offered as a home study, video-based course. Students may obtain course materials at most license agents and Fish and Wildlife field offices or download from our Web site. After completing an extensive homework assignment, the student will choose from a list of testing facilities and dates to complete their hunter education course. For more Hunter Education Program details, including course material availability, facility locations, dates and course registration, go to Fish and Wildlife’s Web site or call (877) 2HUNTNJ.

Trapper education courses are offered four times throughout the state in the months of September and October. To enroll in a trapper education course, go to the Fish and Wildlife Web site or call (877) 2HUNTNJ to register.

Lost Licenses

A license, permit or stamp can be replaced at any license agent, at Fish and Wildlife’s Internet license sales site , or by calling (888) 773-8450. Licenses and permits which contain transportation tags can be duplicated at license agents or on the Internet sales site only twice. All subsequent duplicates of these license and permit types must be handled in person at Fish and Wildlife regional offices or the Pequest Natural Resource Education Center. The Trenton office is no longer open to the public for license and permit sales. A $2 fee is charged for each duplicate license/permit.

National Guard Licenses

Eligible National Guard personnel are entitled to free licenses, permits and stamps. Further information can be obtained by visiting or writing to: NJ Department of Military and Veteran Affairs, 101 Eggerts Crossing Rd., Lawrenceville, NJ 08648, Attn: 1st Sgt. Turrian, or call (609) 530-6866.

Non-resident Licenses

Non-residents must show either a resident license from their state or proof of successfully completing an appropriate hunter education course in order to obtain a license to hunt or trap in New Jersey. Non-immigrant aliens who temporarily import firearms to the United States must first obtain an application for the permit from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). For importation of firearms, use both forms ATF F 5330.3A and .3B. The approval may take up to 12 weeks. Contact ATF’s Explosives Imports Branch at (202) 927-8320 or download a form from their Web site.

Non-resident Servicemen Licenses

Any person on active duty in the armed services, regardless of their current residency, may buy a New Jersey resident hunting license. Present a previous resident license (from this or any other state) of the appropriate type or show proof to the license agent of successful completion of the appropriate hunter education course along with proof of your current active duty status in the armed services.

One-day License

A one-day license may be issued for hunting on a licensed commercial shooting preserve. This license may be obtained at the shooting preserve and is valid only on the day issued for the species covered by the preserve’s license. Hunter education requirements still apply.

Resident Licenses

A resident license may be purchased if one has resided in the state for at least six months immediately prior to application.

Revocation of Licenses

Anyone convicted of a second fish and game violation within a period of five years will have their New Jersey hunting and fishing privileges revoked for two years. Certain violations carry greater periods of revocation, ranging from three years to lifetime revocation. Two convictions of any wildlife management area regulation will result in a five-year revocation of all sporting privileges. Two convictions of the following will result in lifetime revocation: safety zone violation, causing damage to real or personal property and negligent use of a firearm or bow. Fish and Wildlife may revoke any permit or other authorization issued for violation or due cause.

Youth Licenses, Resident and Non-Resident

See Take a Kid Hunting. Properly licensed youth hunters ages 10–13 may hunt only when under the direct supervision of a properly licensed adult age 21 or older. Youths 15 years of age and under are able to hunt, fish and trap for free provided they have passed a hunter or trapper education course. Youth hunters who pre-registered and successfully complete a hunter education course will receive their youth license at the course. A Youth Firearm or Youth Bow and Arrow License is valid from the time of issuance until end of the year when the youth turns 16.

Permits for Hunters and Trappers

Lottery Permit Application Process

A lottery is conducted to allocate turkey, beaver, otter and black bear hunting or trapping permits; application is required for these lottery permits. There will be no lottery for deer permits this year. See Special Areas, for specific deer permit requirements on those properties. To receive certain permits you must first apply for the lottery. The application period is listed below with each permit type. Apply at license agents or via the Internet. Be sure to have your Conservation ID (CID) number on hand. A non-refundable $2 application fee is charged for each lottery application.

Hunters or trappers will have three choices in each lottery. If you will accept a permit only for one particular zone (and/or period), complete only a first choice selection. There is no obligation to select a second or third choice; these are optional. When an applicant’s first choice cannot be filled, the computer will check for the second choice listed. If this selection is also sold out, the computer will check for your third choice. Each lottery is completely random and awards only ONE permit — not three. Your chance of winning a permit in the lottery depends on the number of applicants and the number of permits allocated (permit quota.)

Application via the Internet—Before You Start

  • Know your Conservation ID (CID) number or Social Security Number and date of birth (DOB).
  • Know your desired permit zone and, if applicable, time period or season. Note: After a period of inactivity, the Internet transaction will time out, requiring you to start over from the beginning.
  • Have your payment ready. Internet transactions may be paid either by electronic check (e-check) or major credit card. For e-check transactions, have ready your bank routing number and your check book before you begin.
  • During every transaction, there are several opportunities to review your information for accuracy. A complete review at each step will allow you to make corrections now, if necessary. Once a purchase transaction is complete there will be NO refunds or exchanges. Permit applicants will have the opportunity to edit their application at any time during the permit application period; see Changing Your Lottery Application, below. Applicants are responsible to make application carefully. When the process is complete, print the confirmation page or note the transaction number for your records.

Application at License Agent Locations—Know Before You Go

  • Know your Conservation ID (CID) number or Social Security Number and date of birth (DOB.)
  • Know your desired permit zone and, if applicable time period or season. The store proprietor or clerk is not responsible to know the zone/area of your hunting/trapping property. Be sure to review the map and zone descriptions at home before you arrive at the license agent. Not sure of your area? Study a county map, then using a pencil or highlighter, follow the zone or area description shown either on Fish and Wildlife’s Web site, in this hunting Digest or in the turkey permit supplement to trace the zone boundary.
  • To speed your transaction, write down your information (CID#, DOB, lottery type, first, second and third choices) and hand it to the license agent.
  • NOTE for applying at license agents: Agents using a VeriFone® machine (a special keypad) can print a transaction receipt, but might do so only at your request. Therefore, you should ask for a receipt of the transaction. This receipt will list your choices and the transaction number. Agents using Web-based (computer) systems may or may not be able to print a receipt. ASK FIRST! When an agent cannot print a receipt, it’s important to have the clerk orally verify your application choices and to provide your transaction number. Keep this transaction number; it can be helpful should a problem occur with your application.
  • Each agent decides what types of payment to accept. Learn this in advance, then have the correct payment ready when you arrive.

Changing Your Lottery Application

Regardless of where or how you applied for a lottery, applicants may review their information at any time from any computer with Internet access. Check your application status or edit your application if you discover a correction is necessary. With your CID and DOB, visit to access your profile and follow the prompts. Applications may be edited only during the actual application period. Once the application period is closed, it is impossible to change your application. License agents and Fish and Wildlife offices DO NOT have the ability to change your application once submitted. Only you can make changes, so take care during the application process.

Application Status Check

Hunters and trappers may check their application status at any time. Go to the licensing Web site to access your profile using your CID and DOB, then follow the prompts. The license system displays if the lottery has been run and if you won a permit. When the system shows ‘pending,’ the lottery has not been completed. During the application period the system displays your application as ‘pending.’

Notification of Lottery Results (Did you win a permit?)

Once the lottery is complete, applicants will be notified of their results. When hunters or trappers first apply, the system may have asked your choice for either e-mail or postcard lottery results notification. For those who choose e-mail, be sure to review your junk or spam e-mail filters so the lottery results notification is accepted by your computer. When applying at a license agent, applicants may or may not be asked to choose a notification mode. Some license issuing machines must use the default method of mailing a postcard notification. Applicants who don’t receive notification by the date posted in this Digest can check their application status online.

Claiming Your Permit

Lottery permit winners may claim their permit(s) by going to any license agent or via the Internet. See the corresponding lottery permit “pick up” dates listed in this Digest for beaver/otter, black bear and fall turkey permits. Recall that at the time of application, you paid only the non-refundable $2 application fee; the actual permit fee must still be paid. At license agents, be sure to bring your CID; tell the agent you’re there to pick up your Fish and Wildlife-awarded lottery permit. Permits claimed via the Internet are subject to an additional convenience fee and will take 7–10 business days to arrive.

Purchasing Non-lottery and Unclaimed Lottery Permits

Leftover (unclaimed) lottery permits and non-lottery permits are available at license agents and via the Internet. Internet permit purchases CANNOT be printed from home. Plan ahead, as it may take 7–10 business days for your permit(s) to arrive. During every transaction there are several opportunities to review your information for accuracy. A complete review at each step will allow you to make corrections now, if necessary.
Note: Once a purchase transaction is complete there will be NO refunds or exchanges. When purchasing permits at a license agent, speed your transaction by presenting to the agent a written note with your CID# and DOB, plus the season and zone of your permit choices.

Beaver and Otter Permits

  • Beaver and otter trapping are allowed by special permit only.
  • Additional information—including the zone map and descriptions—becomes available Sept. 13 on Fish and Wildlife’s Web site.
  • Application period: Oct. 1–31.
  • Leftover permits, if available, will be sold at all license agents and at Fish and Wildlife’s Internet license sales site. Award notifications will go out during the week of Nov. 15, the same time successful applicants may begin to claim their awards. Beaver and Otter Permits awarded in the lottery must be claimed prior to 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 12. Awarded permits that are not claimed prior to 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, Dec 12 will be returned to the quota and become available for sale over the counter. Leftover and unclaimed permits will become available for sale beginning at 10 a.m. on TUESDAY, Dec. 14, 2010. Permits will be available at all license agents and via the Internet. For leftover and unclaimed permit availability, see our Web site late in the afternoon of Monday, December 13, 2010. .
  • For trapping season information including regulations, season dates and bag limits see Trapping Regulations.

Black Bear Hunting Permits

A total of 10,000 black bear hunting permits, allocated by black bear hunting areas, will be available to properly licensed hunters who have successfully completed at mandatory black bear hunting seminar. A random lottery will be conducted if the demand exceeds the supply in any black bear hunting area.

Application can be made at any license agent or online on our Internet sales site. Hunters are limited to one black bear hunting permit. Application fee: $2. Application period: Oct 1 – 30.

Any leftover permits will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis beginning at 10 a.m. on MONDAY, Nov. 22, 2010. Permits will be available for sale at all license agents and online on our Internet sales site. Leftover permit availability will be posted on our Web site by Thursday, Nov. 18, 2010.

2010 Black Bear Hunting Permit Quota

Black Bear
Management Zone

# of Permits









Coyote, Red and Gray Fox Hunting Permits

  • A $2 permit is required to hunt coyote, red or gray fox during the special permit season from Jan. 1–March. 15, 2011.
  • Permits will be available at any license agent or via Fish and Wildlife’s Internet license sales site beginning Dec. 15, 2010. A 2011 hunting license must be purchased prior to, or in conjunction with, the purchase of a 2011 Coyote/Fox Permit.
  • For season details, see Small Game Hunting.

Deer Hunting Permits

Permits are required to hunt during the Permit Bow, Permit Muzzleloader and Permit Shotgun deer seasons. There will be no lottery for deer permits this year. See Special Areas for specific deer permit requirements on those properties.

Permits may be purchased either at a license agent or at Fish and Wildlife’s Internet license sales site. For details, see Deer Season Permits.

Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) Permits

DMAP allows landowners, administrative agencies, municipalities, organizations and managers to improve localized deer management success by allocating additional hunting permits for problem properties located within deer management zones that have restricted bag limits. See also Permits for Farmers for more information and contact numbers. Visit our Web site at for details.

Farmer Permits

See Farmer Hunting and Permit Information.

Falconry Permits

Hunting with raptors (birds of prey) is allowed only with both a falconry permit and a hunting license. For hunting regulations see Falconry.

Rifle Permits

A valid rifle permit is required, and must be in possession, while hunting coyote, deer, fox, squirrel and woodchuck with a muzzleloading rifle; raccoon and opossum hunting with a .22 caliber rifle; and for dispatching trapped animals, other than muskrat, with a .22 caliber rifle. Initial rifle permit applicants must be at least 10 years old and have successfully completed a rifle Hunter Education Course.

  • Rifle permits may be purchased at license agents or at Fish and Wildlife’s Internet license sales site. Rifle permits for 10- to 17-year-olds will be valid only for muzzleloaders. No persons under age 18 may hunt with centerfire or rimfire rifles.
  • Rifle permits are valid from July 1–June 30.

Turkey Hunting Permits, General

  • Turkey hunting is by permit only. See turkey season details.
  • Spring and fall permit applications are now handled on two separate applications; only one application may be made for each season.
  • Complete instructions for the 2011 Spring Gobbler season will be detailed in the 2011 Wild Turkey Hunting Season Permit Supplement, available in late January at license agents, Fish and Wildlife offices, and on our Web site.

Turkey Permits, 2010 Fall Season

  • Fall turkey hunting is by permit only.
  • The 2010 Fall Turkey Permit Lottery Application period is Aug. 1–Aug. 31.
  • Award notification and permit pickup will begin Sept. 13.
  • All permits awarded in the lottery will be held until 11:59 p.m. on Oct. 3. Unclaimed, awarded permits will be placed in the over-the-counter sale. Application fee(s) will not be refunded for unclaimed permits
  • Leftover permits will go on sale beginning Tuesday, Oct. 5, at 10 a.m., first come, first served, at license agents and at Fish and Wildlife’s Internet sales site .
  • Detailed information on the application procedures, season dates, bag limits and permit quotas are available in the 2010 Wild Turkey Hunting Season Permit Supplement, which can be found on Fish and Wildlife’s Web site or at license agents.
  • For more detailed information including the status of available permits, check the Web site or call the 24-hour automated Permit Hotline at (609) 292-9192.

Permits for Hunters with Disabling Conditions

A permit to use alternative methods/equipment for taking game during the prescribed seasons for certain physically challenged persons may be issued. The application period is Jan. 1 to Aug. 31 of each year.

Permits to Shoot from a Standing Vehicle

A permit to hunt or shoot from a standing vehicle that is parked off the road may be issued to licensed hunters who:

  1. have a permanent or irreversible physical disability that limits their ambulatory ability,
  2. suffer from cardiovascular disease and are classified as Class 3 or 4 heart patients according to American Heart Association standards, or
  3. suffer from chronic lung disease. This permit will be issued if the need is certified by a licensed physician or chiropractor.

Individuals hunting with a permit to hunt or shoot from a motor vehicle must mark the vehicle being used for the purpose of hunting either with handicapped license plates issued by the Motor Vehicle Commission or by displaying a sign provided by Fish and Wildlife in the rear window of the vehicle being used.

To learn the latest information on this issue, hunters may call the Permit Hotline at (609) 292-9192. Additional information about permits for hunters with disabling conditions is available by writing: NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife, Handicapped Permits, Mail Code 501-03, P.O. Box 420, Trenton, NJ 08625-0420 or downloaded directly from our Web site.

Bow Use Permit

Previously, a special Bow Use Permit was issued to disabled hunters who were not able to use a conventional bow as was described in the Game Code. The Special Bow Use Permit is now superfluous with the New Jersey Fish and Game Council’s adoption of the 2009–2012 Game Code. The amended Code expands the definition of “bow” by removing the prohibition on all draw locking and draw holding devices and by including crossbows in the definition. Crossbows are now allowed in any bow and arrow hunting season and other hunting seasons for all species where the use of bow and arrow is allowed. Crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 75 pounds and a minimum stock length of 25 inches. All crossbow hunters must have in possession a valid archery license. (Note that crossbows are NOT legal for bowfishing at this time; bowfishing is covered by the Freshwater Fish Code.)

Permits, Other

Captive Wildlife Permits

The possession, ownership and release of wildlife is regulated and allowed only for limited purposes. Information and applications may be obtained online or by calling:

Deer Road-kill Permits

Deer accidentally killed by motor vehicles may be possessed only for private consumption by obtaining a free permit from the local police department or from a Fish and Wildlife regional law enforcement office. The permit authorizes only possession of the meat for consumption and is valid only for 90 days. The possession of all other parts such as antlers, under terms of this permit, are expressly prohibited. Wrapped venison packages must be labeled with the permit number.


Stamps (such as federal migratory bird stamps) are not transferable to another person and are not valid unless signed across the face in ink. Stamps need not be affixed to the license. Beginning July 1, 2009 state waterfowl “stamps” began printing either directly on your hunting license or as a separate tag, replacing the former paper stamp for these privileges. Pheasant and quail “stamps” also print directly on your license at the time of purchase, replacing the former paper stamp for these privileges. Waterfowl stamps may be purchased ONLY for a specific individual; hunters can no longer purchase multiple stamps on behalf of a fellow hunter.

Pheasant and Quail Stamp

Anyone aged 16 and over (except 16 year olds whose youth license remains valid through the end of the year in which they turn 16) hunting or possessing pheasant or quail on the following designated wildlife management areas shall have in possession a current Pheasant and Quail Stamp (the free youth hunting license includes a pheasant and quail stamp):

  • Assunpink, Berkshire Valley, Black River, Clinton, Colliers Mills, Dix, Flatbrook, Glassboro, Greenwood Forest, Howardsville, Heislerville, Mad Horse, Manahawkin, Manasquan River, Medford, Millville (Bevan), Nantuxent, Peaslee, Pequest, Port Republic, Stafford Forge, Tuckahoe (MacNamara), Walpack, Whittingham and Winslow. The Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is also a designated pheasant and quail stamp area. Pheasant and quail stamps are valid for the calendar year, January–December.

New Jersey Waterfowl Stamp

Anyone 16 or older who hunts waterfowl must possess a New Jersey Waterfowl Stamp (now printed directly on your license at the time of purchase) in addition to the Federal Migratory Bird Stamp. Both stamps are valid for the fiscal year, July 1–June 30. A Harvest Information Program (HIP) certification is also required. For HIP details, see Migratory Bird Regulations.


Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: