Choose your state

AlabamaAlabama Hunting & Fishing

AlaskaAlaska Drivers ManualAlaska Motorcycle ManualAlaska Commercial DriversAlaska Waterfowl HuntingAlaska Hunting

ArizonaArizona HuntingArizona Waterfowl Hunting

ArkansasArkansas HuntingArkansas Waterfowl Hunting

CaliforniaCalifornia Big Game HuntingCalifornia Freshwater FishingCalifornia Fishing SupplementCalifornia Waterfowl & Upland Game & Public LandsCalifornia Saltwater FishingCalifornia Mammal Hunting

ColoradoColorado HuntingColorado Waterfowl Hunting

ConnecticutConnecticut HuntingConnecticut Fishing

DelawareDelaware HuntingDelaware Fishing

FloridaFlorida HuntingFlorida Saltwater FishingFlorida Freshwater Fishing

GeorgiaGeorgia FIshing40-Hour Parent/Teen Driving GuideGeorgia Alcohol & Drug Awareness ProgramGeorgia HuntingGeorgia Commercial DriversGeorgia Drivers ManualGeorgia Motorcycle ManualGeorgia Fishing

HawaiiHawaii Hunting

IdahoIdaho HuntingIdaho Deer HuntingIdaho Waterfowl Hunting

IllinoisIllinois HuntingIllinois Waterfowl Hunting

IndianaIndiana HuntingIndiana Fishing

IowaIowa HuntingIowa Waterfowl Hunting

KansasKansas HuntingKansas Waterfowl Hunting

KentuckyKentucky HuntingKentucky Waterfowl Hunting

LouisianaLouisiana HuntingLouisiana Fishing

MaineMaine HuntingMaine FishingMaine ATV & Snowmobile

MarylandMaryland FishingMaryland Hunting

MassachusettsMassachusetts Hunting & FishingMassachusetts Saltwater FishingMassachusetts Hunting & Fishing

MichiganMichigan FishingMichigan HuntingMichigan Waterfowl Hunting

MinnesotaMinnesota HuntingMinnesota Waterfowl Hunting

MississippiMississippi Hunting & Fishing

MissouriMissouri HuntingMissouri Waterfowl Hunting

MontanaMontana HuntingMontana Deer HuntingMontana Waterfowl Hunting

NebraskaNebraska HuntingNebraska Deer HuntingNebraska Waterfowl Hunting

NevadaNevada FishingNevada Small Game HuntingNevada Big Game HuntingNevada Hunting Applications

New HampshireNew Hampshire Saltwater FishingNew Hampshire HuntingNew Hampshire ATV & SnowmobileNew Hampshire Freshwater Fishing

New JerseyNew Jersey HuntingNew Jersey Freshwater FishingNew Jersey Saltwater Fishing

New MexicoNew Mexico HuntingNew Mexico Hunting Rules & Info – 2016-2017New Mexico Waterfowl Hunting

New YorkNew York HuntingNew York Fishing

North CarolinaNorth Carolina HuntingNorth Carolina Waterfowl Hunting

North DakotaNorth Dakota HuntingNorth Dakota Deer HuntingNorth Dakota Waterfowl Hunting

OhioOhio HuntingOhio Fishing

OklahomaOklahoma FishingOklahoma Hunting

OregonOregon Big Game HuntingOregon FishingOregon Game Bird HuntingOregon FishingOregon Big Game Hunting

PennsylvaniaPennsylvania HuntingPennsylvania Waterfowl Hunting

Rhode IslandRhode Island Saltwater Fishing Regulations GuideRhode Island HuntingRhode Island Freshwater Fishing

South CarolinaSouth Carolina Hunting & Fishing

South DakotaSouth Dakota HuntingSouth Dakota Waterfowl Hunting

TennesseeTennessee HuntingTennessee Waterfowl Hunting

TexasTexas HuntingTexas Waterfowl Hunting

UtahUtah HuntingUtah Deer HuntingUtah Waterfowl Hunting

VermontVermont HuntingVermont Fishing

VirginiaVirginia FishingVirginia Migratory Game Bird HuntingVirginia Hunting

WashingtonWashington HuntingWashington Deer HuntingWashington Waterfowl Hunting

West VirginiaWest Virginia HuntingWest Virginia Waterfowl Hunting

WisconsinWisconsin HuntingWisconsin Deer HuntingWisconsin Waterfowl Hunting

WyomingWyoming HuntingWyoming Deer HuntingWyoming Waterfowl Hunting


Farmer Hunting & Permit Information

Hunting Regulations Icon New Jersey Hunting

Regulations in red are new this year.

Farmer License Exemption

All farmers hunting deer must have a Conservation Identification number (CID#). Farmers who already receive free farmer deer or turkey permits, and farmers who have purchased a hunting license/permit and/or freshwater fishing license since 2006 already have an assigned, permanent CID#. A CID# is required to utilize Fish and Wildlife’s Automated Harvest Report System. Farmers who are exempt from the license requirement and hunt only during non-permit seasons still must obtain a CID# in order to report their harvested deer. Register for a free CID# online at No purchase is required but you must create a profile in the online license sales site. From our homepage at, click ‘Buy your licenses and permits’ and follow the instructions to create a profile. There will be options to purchase a license, apply for permits or print an identification card. Choose ‘Print an Identification Card.’ A card will print with your 9-digit CID#.

All Farmer Deer Hunters: Before going hunting, be sure to go to Fish and Wildlife’s website ( and write down the DMZ, county, township and Deer Management Unit of your hunt location prior to harvesting a deer! Record this info on your license, permit or the Deer Harvest Report Card to have accessible for when you report your deer harvest and to record your assigned Confirmation Number. When reporting a deer harvest on your farm property, farmers do not need a Harvest Number during the non-permit deer seasons. To report a deer call (855) I HUNT NJ or (855) 448-6865 or online at

A farmer and members of the immediate family (see definition below) who also reside on the farm may hunt, trap and fish on the farm without being licensed or possessing a valid rifle permit. All hunting, fishing and trapping must be conducted in the manner provided by law during the prescribed seasons. A farm is defined as an area of at least five acres and having gross income of at least $500, and tax assessed as farmland. This exemption does not apply to a tenant or employee who is not an immediate family member.

Immediate Family: For the purpose of farmers hunting and trapping, “immediate family” includes the spouse, mother, father, child, grandchild, stepchild, stepparent, legal guardian, mother-in-law, father-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, grandparent, great grandparent, brother, sister, stepsister, stepbrother, brother-in-law and sister-in-law of the farm owner or lessee who resides thereon.

Farmer Regulations

The occupant of a farm may allow his or her dog to run at large on land he or she occupies, except during the firearm deer seasons.

Farmers and their lessees occupying or farming their land, members of their immediate family (see definition above), or their farming employees may kill crows, woodchuck and fox on farm property at any time when found destroying livestock or crops. However, they must use legal firearms, ammunition and other lawful procedures. See also Wildlife Damage Control. See also General Regulations.

Farmers must possess the appropriate permit to legally hunt the farm during any hunting or trapping season which requires a permit. Permits are provided free to all qualified farmers for the following seasons: Permit Bow, Permit Muzzleloader and Permit Shotgun deer seasons plus the spring and fall Turkey Permit seasons and the Black Bear Season.

Sunday bowhunting for deer is legal only on state wildlife management areas and private property.

Farmers may trap fox destroying poultry, crops or property at any time, subject to state law and local ordinances. Farmers or their agents may shoot or trap coyotes by lawful procedures at any time when found destroying livestock or crops. A regional Fish and Wildlife Law Enforcement office must be notified within 24 hours of killing a coyote. See Law Enforcement or Telephone Directory.

Permits for Farmers

Fish and Wildlife reviews the Farmer Permit database periodically to ensure compliance. Our Bureau of Law Enforcement will contact you if additional information is required during the re-evaluation process. Farmer status will be inactivated and farmers notified if the information on file is no longer accurate.

New farmers must submit an application to obtain free turkey, deer and/or bear permits. Applications are available on our website at under Farmer Certification Application for Deer and Turkey Permits. Print out both pages and use the instruction sheet to fill out the application.

Applications are also available at your local county agricultural extension office.

The preferred application period for farmers is June 1–August 1.

Once approved, farmers may claim their farmer permits by going to any license agent. The dates when permits will become available are listed below.

Farmer Deer Permits

  • Farmers may claim deer permits beginning MONDAY, Sept. 11, 2017 at 10 a.m. at any license agent.
  • Approved farmers are eligible for one free bow, shotgun and muzzleloader permit and one free Antlered Buck Permit for each of the three permit seasons. See Farmer License Exemption, above. See also Farmer Regulations, above.
  • Two types of farmer permits—occupant and non-occupant farmer—allow the applicant to decide for which permit it is easiest to qualify; see below. Farmers who must change the occupancy status for their deer permit should call (609) 292-1473.
  • Only a qualified farmer and members of the immediate family (see definition on this page) who reside on the farm, are eligible to apply for occupant and non-occupant farmer deer permits.
  • Farmers may also apply for (or purchase at any license agent) regular deer permits in addition to the free farmer permits. See Deer Season Permits.
  • Farmers are eligible for a Farmer Buck Permit which are limited to only one per person per season. If a farmer claims their FARMER Buck Permit they cannot purchase a regular Antlered Buck Permit. Likewise, if a farmer first purchases an Antlered Buck Permit, the farmer cannot claim a Farmer Buck Permit. The Antlered Buck Permit is valid for any zone in which the farmer has an antlerless permit for the season.

Occupant Farmer Deer Permits

  • Applicants must be the owner, lessee or members of the immediate family (see definition on this page) who actually reside on the farm property.
  • Land must be at least five acres, tax-assessed as farmland.
  • Occupant permits are valid only on the farm property where the applicant resides.

Non-Occupant Farmer Deer Permits

  • Applicants are not required to live on the farm property.
  • Farmer(s) and members of their immediate family (see definition on this page) may qualify, up to a total of five people.
  • Must actively till at least 30 acres of land which is tax-assessed as farmland.
  • Woodlots do not qualify.
  • To apply for hunting leased farmland, a copy of all leases authorizing the agricultural and hunting uses of the land must be attached to the application.
  • Non-occupant permits are valid only on private land within the deer management zone designated on the permit and are not valid on public lands within that zone.
  • An applicant who lives on a farm and actively tills at least 30 acres may apply either as an occupant or a non-occupant.

Farmer Turkey Permits

Farmers may claim fall season turkey permits beginning MONDAY, September 11, 2017 at 10 a.m. at any license agent. Farmer Turkey Permits are only for Occupant Farmers. Fall Turkey Season is now open in all Turkey Hunting Areas. Farmers may claim spring season turkey permits beginning MONDAY, April 2, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. If you experience a problem obtaining the fall permit at a license agent, call (609) 292-1473.

Farmer turkey permits are available only to the farmer and immediate family who reside on the farm. See definition of “immediate family” on this page.

Farmers may also apply for (or purchase at any license agent) regular turkey permits in addition to the free farmer permits. See the turkey permit supplement, distributed each January or on our website for details.

Farmer Bear Permits

Only the owner or lessee of a farm, who resides thereon, or members of his immediate family 10 years of age or older who also reside thereon, may apply on forms provided for a special farmer black bear permit. See definition of “immediate family” on this page. Under this section a farm is an area of five acres or more, producing a gross income in excess of $500 and is tax assessed as farmland. Special farmer black bear permits will be issued only in those Black Bear Management Zones where a season is prescribed.

Farmers who applied for a farmer black bear permit in the past, do not need to re-apply this year provided that their information and farm situation has not changed. New farmers and those who did not apply in the past must submit an application. These will be reviewed and approved by Law Enforcement.

Application forms may be obtained from Fish and Wildlife’s website or at county agricultural extension offices.

Include on the application your Conservation ID Number; fill in the entire form. Properly completed applications will be accepted in the Trenton office no later than September 1. There is no fee; all qualified applicants will receive a Special Farmer Black Bear Permit via mail for the 2017 black bear season which will be valid for both segments. However, the bag limit remains at one bear.

Submit only one farmer application per individual during the initial application period. Application for a farmer black bear permit shall not preclude a farmer (as a holder of a valid hunting license) from applying for—and Fish and Wildlife issuing—regular black bear season permit(s).

Special Farmer Black Bear Permits will NOT be issued via the electronic license system for the 2017 Black Bear Season. Permits will be mailed to qualified farmers only after receiving valid applications approved by Fish and Wildlife’s Bureau of Law Enforcement.