Logo

Celebrating 80 Years of Support for Wildlife Conservation

Hunting Regulations Icon New Jersey Hunting

By Bob Longcor, Federal Aid Coordinator

In 1937, the U.S. Congress passed what is arguably the most effective conservation law in history, the Pittman-Robertson (PR) Wildlife Restoration Act. The Act established an excise tax on firearms, ammunition and archery equipment that is apportioned back to states through the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s Wildlife Restoration Program to support the conservation mission of fish and wildlife agencies.

The Wildlife Restoration Program funds up to 75 percent of conservation project costs, with state fish and wildlife agencies typically matching the remaining 25 percent through hunting and fishing license revenues. Since the program’s inception, New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife has received over $100 million in Pittman-Robertson funds, matching it with approximately $33 million in license revenues and other sources. Combined, these funds have provided for conservation actions such as the preservation of over 35,000 acres of wildlife habitat, the restoration of white-tailed deer and wild turkey populations along with research and monitoring of an endangered shore bird, the red knot, among many other valuable wildlife projects.

The logo above serves not only to identify the federal program providing critical conservation dollars to the Division of Fish and Wildlife, it symbolizes the committed, 80-year partnership between the hunting and shooting-sports industries, millions of hunters plus state and federal wildlife agencies whose efforts have contributed to the restoration of many wildlife populations, generating a wide variety of hunting- and wildlife-associated recreation opportunities for the New Jersey public.