Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Shellfish & Crab License And Agents


A clamming license is now called a shellfish license and is required for harvesting of all species of benthic mollusks (with the exception of conchs, addressed in the commercial marine fisheries regulations), including, but not limited to, hard and soft clams, surf clams, oysters, bay scallops and mussels. Other specific commercial shellfish licenses exist such as surf clam dredge, Delaware Bay oyster dredge boat, and Delaware Bay licenses to harvest in Areas 1, 2 and 3.

Prior to harvesting any shellfish, be certain to consult the Shellfish Growing Water Classification Charts published by DEP’s Bureau of Marine Water Monitoring, available at any shellfish license agent, state shellfish offices, online at or call the Bureau of Marine Water Monitoring at (609) 748-2000. Shellfish licenses are available for purchase online at

Shellfish License Fees

  • Resident recreational shellfish: $10
    Harvest limit of 150 shellfish (in aggregate) per day. Sale of catch prohibited.
  • Non-resident recreational shellfish: $20
    Harvest limit of 150 shellfish (in aggregate) per day. Sale of catch prohibited. License valid only during the months of June, July, August and September.
  • Juvenile recreational shellfish: $2
    For persons under 14 years of age. Subject to same restrictions as resident or nonresident adult recreational license holders.
  • Resident commercial shellfish: $50
    Unlimited harvest. Shellfish may be sold only to certified dealers.
  • Non-resident Commercial Shellfish: $250
    Unlimited harvest. Shellfish may be sold to certified dealers only.
  • Senior citizen recreational shellfish license: FREE ($2 application fee)
    NJ residents age 62 years or older. Harvest limit, 150 shellfish (in aggregate) per day. Sale of shellfish prohibited.
  • Disabled veterans: Fish and Wildlife-certified disabled veterans are eligible for free shellfish license at any shellfish license agent location. For more information on how to become certified, call (908) 637-4125.

Crab licenses are available at all agent locations:

Recreational Crab Pot/Trot Line Licenses and Non-Commercial Crab Dredge Licenses are available for purchase online at: or at any Fish and Wildlife-certified license agent including those license agents listed at right. For a current list of Fish and Wildlife-certified license agents, look in future hunting issues of the New Jersey Fish & Wildlife Digest or go to

  • Recreational crab pot/trot line license: $2
    Harvest limit of one bushel per day. Refer to the shellfish regulations on page 14 for all recreational crabbing regulations.
  • Non-commercial crab dredge license: $15
    Harvest limit of one bushel per day during the crab dredge season. Refer to the crab regulations on page 14 for all recreational crabbing regulations.

Terrapin Excluders and Biodegradable Panels Are Required on Chesapeake-Style Crab Pots


Users of non-collapsible, Chesapeake-style crab pots should be aware that all pots set in any body of water less than 150-feet wide at mean low tide or in any manmade lagoon MUST include diamondback terrapin excluder devices. In addition, all non-collapsible, Chesapeake-style crab pots set in any body of water MUST include biodegradable panels.

These crab pot modifications will help reduce the unintentional drowning of terrapins and allow for escapement of these and other species in the event that pots are lost or abandoned. Terrapin excluder devices must be no larger than 2-inch high by 6-inch wide and securely fastened inside each funnel entrance. Biodegradable panels must measure at least -inch wide by 5-inch high and be located in the upper section of the crab pot. The panel must be constructed of, or fastened to the pot with wood lath, cotton, hemp, sisal or jute twine not greater than 3/16″ diameter, or non-stainless steel, uncoated ferrous metal not greater than 3/32″ diameter. The door or a side of the pot may serve as the biodegradable panel ONLY if it is fastened to the pot with any of the material specified above. Crabbers should be aware that ALL non-collapsible, Chesapeake-style crab pots MUST be licensed and marked with the gear identification number of the owner. For crab pot license information and regulations, see the regulations on page 14 and license agents below. AtlanticBonito.EPS

Shellfish and Non-Commercial Crab Pot License Agents
(For over-the-counter sales only.)


Egg Harbor True Value, 208 N. Philadelphia Ave., Egg Harbor City: (609) 965-0815

Fish Finder Marina, 3645 Atlantic-Brigantine Blvd., Brigantine: (609) 457-5384

Main Street Hardware, 6016 Main St., Mays Landing: (609) 625-4941

NJ Div. Fish and Wildlife, 360 Rt. 9 N: (milepost 51): (609) 748-2021

Zeus Sporting Goods, 6679 Black Horse Pike, Egg Harbor Twp.: (609) 646-1668


Towne News, 81 So. Whitehorse Pike, Berlin: (856) 768-9132


Avalon Hodge Podge, 2389 Ocean Dr., Avalon: (609) 967-3274

Belleplain Supply, 346 Handsmill Rd., Bellplain: (609) 861-2345

Budd’s Bait & Tackle, 109 Fullingmill Rd., Villas: (609) 886-6935

Capt. Tate’s Tackle Box, 450 No. Route 47, Cape May CH: (609) 861-4001

City of Ocean City, 861 Asbury Ave., Ocean City: (609) 525-9328

Smuggler’s Cove, 370 83rd St., Stone Harbor: (609) 368-1700

Upper Township, 2100 Tuckahoe Rd., Tuckahoe: (609) 628-2805

Wal*Mart, 3159 Rt. 9S, Rio Grande: (609) 465-7760


Beaver Dam Boat Rentals, 514 Old Beaver Dam Rd., Newport: (856) 447-3633

Big Daddy’s Sport Haven, 595 Sherman Ave., Millville: (856) 453-9009

Delaware Bay Office, 1672 E. Buckshutem Rd., Millville: (856) 785-0730

Shire Products, 389 S. Lincoln Ave., Vineland: (856) 692-3646


Sportsman’s Outpost, 2517 Fries Mill Rd., Williamstown: (856) 881-3244


Caso’s Gun-A-Rama, 176 Danforth Ave., Jersey City: (201) 435-5099


Auto Parts of Woodbridge, 108 Main St., Woodbridge: (732) 634-6264

Sayreville Sportsman Shop, 52 Washington Ave., Sayreville: (732) 238-2060


Brielle Tackle, 800 Ashley Ave., Brielle: (732) 528-5720

L & H Woods and Water, 2045 Rt. 35, Wall: (732) 282-1812


American Sportsman, 857 Mill Creek Rd., Manahawkin: (609) 597-4104

Bob Kislin’s, 1214 Rt. 37 East, Toms River: (732) 929-9300

Chumbucket, 381 Rt. 9, West Creek: (609) 294-2500

Downes Bait & Tackle, 287 Brennan Concourse, Bayville: (732) 269-0137

Fish Bonz Bait & Tackle, 103 Lacey Rd., Forked River: (609) 971-2928

Grizz’s Forked River B & T,232 N. Main St., Forked River: (609) 693-9298

Lacey Marine, 308 Rt. 9, So., Forked River: (609) 693-0151

L & H Woods and Water, 403 Rt. 9, Waretown: (609) 242-1812

Pell’s Fish & Sport Shop, 335 Mantoloking Rd., Bricktown: (732) 477-2121

Surf City Bait & Tackle, 317 Long Beach Blvd., Surf City: (609) 494-2333

Tip’s Hardware, 218 Main St., West Creek: (609) 296-3192


Efinger Sporting Goods, 513 W. Union Ave., Bound Brook: (732) 356-0604

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: