Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Other—Nongame Wildlife

Reptiles and Amphibians

  • No person shall sell native species of reptiles or amphibians, including parts or eggs thereof, except:
    • Non-living snapping turtles and bullfrogs raised outside the state which may be possessed, bought and sold for use as food provided that with each package there shall be a bill of sale bearing the species, the weight of the package and the place of origin; and
    • Non-living amphibians and reptiles obtained outside the state to be used for educational purposes.
  • No person shall take or possess a spotted turtle, Blanding’s turtle, wood turtle, Eastern box turtle, black racer, Eastern hognose snake, timber rattlesnake, marbled salamander or any egg or part thereof.
  • Importation, possession and release of reptiles shall be in accordance with Fis Chapter 800.
  • No person shall take any species of indigenous turtle from May 15 to July 15.
  • Individuals may possess up to 2 each of the following native reptiles:* Musk turtle, Painted turtle, Snapping turtle, Ring-necked snake, Eastern milk snake, Northern watersnake, Brown snake, Red-bellied snake, Garter snake
  • Individuals may possess up to 5 each of the following native amphibians:* American toad, Gray tree frog, Spring peeper, American bullfrog, Green frog, Pickerel frog, Northern two-lined salamander, Red-spotted newt, Northern dusky salamander, Eastern red-backed salamander

* Although limited possession of these species is currently legal in NH, the NH Fish and Game Department encourages people to leave these wildlife species wild. Populations of some species, especially turtles, can be adversely affected by the removal of a small number of individuals.

Protected Wildlife

Wildlife not covered in this digest of regulations are protected by New Hampshire or federal law, and may not be taken.

For more information on nongame and endangered wildlife, look for the NH Wildlife Action Plan.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: