Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
Join the Griffin's Guide HUNTING newsletter

Get weekly news, tips and photos from the world of hunting.
[contact-form-7 id="35884" title="GG Email"]
No Thanks!

Deer Hunting Licensing Requirements

Brought to you by:

All hunters, with the exception of those eligible to use the special deer tag, must have a valid deer tag that has not been detached from their license/permit. Deer may be hunted using a variety of licenses and tags as described below.

Archery License: allows the taking of one deer of either sex during the archery deer season (antlered deer only Sept. 15–30).

Regular Hunting or Combination License: allows the taking of one deer during the regular firearms deer season (Wildlife Management Unit restrictions apply).

Muzzleloader License: allows the holder of a Regular NH Hunting License to take a deer during the special muzzleloading deer season, using the firearms deer tag. Nonresident youths must purchase this license to participate in the muzzleloader season. This license does not include a separate tag.

Deer Crossbow License: allows the holder of a Regular NH Hunting License to take a deer with a crossbow during the regular firearms deer season, using the firearms deer tag. This license does not include a separate tag.

Special Archery Deer Permit: allows the taking of one additional antlered deer using bow and arrow during the archery deer season. Each hunter is limited to one of these permits. Archery hunters may only buy this permit when purchasing their regular archery license. This permit may be used to tag the first deer taken by archery if it is legally antlered. All ages.

Special Unit M Permit: allows the taking of antlerless deer in WMU M, in addition to deer taken using a Regular NH Hunting or Archery License. It may be used on any day during any deer season the hunter holds a license for (archery, muzzleloader or firearm). All ages. NEW FOR 2010: Special Unit M Permits are not valid until October 1. Also, a total of up to 4,000 hunters will be allowed to purchase Special Antlerless Deer Permits for Unit M. For 2010, at the time of purchase, hunters may opt for a permit with 1 deer tag ($13) or two deer tags ($26).

Long Island and Governor’s Island Deer Permits: allows the taking of deer on Long and Governor’s Islands, respectively. Written landowner permission required on forms available at the Region 2 office in New Hampton or at Headquarters in Concord. Many special restrictions apply; see New Hampshire Fish & Game. All ages.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Brought to you by:
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
JF Griffin Media
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: