- The sale of freshwater fish is prohibited.
- Snagging fish in freshwaters is prohibited. Any fish accidentally snagged must be immediately released to the water.
- No fish may be taken by use of a set line in freshwater.
- Exceeding daily bag limits of fish is prohibited, whether taken from one or several water bodies.
- No person may have in his possession at one time more wildlife than he may lawfully take in 2 days.
- No person shall have live lake trout, landlocked salmon, brook trout, black bass, northern pike, or black crappie in their possession, except if the person is a bass tournament permittee or is an aquaculturist permittee or has a permit to import, possess, or release these fish.
- Release of fish in waters other than where caught is prohibited. Fish must be returned to the water where taken.
- Culling of fish, except during permitted bass tournaments, is prohibited.
- The water surrounding any dam containing a fishway is closed to fishing. (See Rivers and Streams with Special Rules).
- The use of alewives, carp or goldfish as live bait while fishing is prohibited. The use of shad or whitefish as bait for cusk is prohibited.
- Importation of fish or their eggs, including bait fish, is prohibited without a special permit.
- Except as otherwise specifically permitted, it is unlawful to use or have in possession a set line, net, fishing otter, trawl, grapple, spear, jack, jack light, poisons, explosives or electrical device or any other device for killing or stunning fish.
- To counsel or aid another in violating a fishing rule is prohibited.
- The use of lead sinkers (1 ounce or less) and jigs (less than 1 inch along its longest axis) is prohibited in all freshwater. Sale of lead sinkers (1 ounce or less) and jigs (less than 1 inch along its longest axis) is prohibited.
- The use of a gaff to take fish in any fresh waters of the state is prohibited.
When in doubt about whether a fish you have caught is legal, play it safe and release the fish unharmed.
Regulations in red are new this year.
Purple text indicates an important note.