Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Safety Education

Brought to you by:

Tim Acerno | N.H. Fish & Game

Be A Responsible Rider

If you are convicted of DWI, damaging property, failure to yield, disobeying an officer, skimming on open water, or other offenses, you shall be required to show successful completion of an approved safety education class or you must attend a Responsible Riders Safety Education course.

Riding a snowmobile or wheeled vehicle can be fun and exciting for the whole family. Take a class, join a club and ride responsibly.

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department strongly recommends that all riders participate in a Safety Education Class. State law requires that all operators 12 years of age and over must possess either a valid Motor Vehicle Driver’s License or must have successfully completed an approved OHRV or Snowmobile Safety Education Class when operating off their own property. Classes are free and offered throughout the state. For class schedules or more information on these requirements, contact Fish and Game at 603-271-3129 or go to

Each year, OHRV Regional Coordinators assist more than 150 volunteer OHRV safety instructors, who in turn educate some 1,500 students in snowmobile, ATV and trail bike safety. Regional OHRV Coordinators include Timothy Acerno, Karen Brousseau-Allard, Tom Duling, Bryan Hadlock, Marie Hixon, Jayson Keane, Craig Mayo and Sue Rugg.

“Our regional coordinators and volunteer instructors do an outstanding job of promoting safety and responsible riding on the trails,” said Captain John Wimsatt, who coordinates OHRV safety education and enforcement for the N.H. Fish and Game Department.

Help Teach OHRV & Snowmobile Ed!

If you are an experienced OHRV or snowmobile enthusiast, consider joining the ranks of more than 150 volunteers who are certified instructors for the OHRV and Snowmobile Education program.

Riding knowledge is helpful, of course, but just as important are enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. You’ll enjoy the camaraderie of fellow instructors!

For more information, call (603) 271-3129.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The New Hampshire Fish & Game Department allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with New Hampshire Fish & Game Department Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The New Hampshire Fish & Game Department neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: