Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Registration Information

Brought to you by:

Registrations Required

All snowmobiles and OHRVs must be registered if operated off of the owner’s property. A registration is a privilege to ride off of your own property on approved trails or with written landowner permission.

Conventional motor vehicles (cars and trucks) that are legally registered as a motor vehicle do not need an OHRV registration. Motorcycles which are registered for highway use must have an OHRV registration to operate off road.

Note: No registration is required for youth model ATVs, trail bikes or snowmobiles if the operator is less than 12 years of age and the youth is accompanied by a properly licensed adult. To qualify, youth snowmobiles must be less than 125cc; youth ATVs and youth 2-wheel trail bikes less than 95cc.

Individuals may register at any one of the registration agents located throughout the state, and must apply in person.

Registrations may also be purchased at Fish and Game Headquarters or through the mail by contacting Fish and Game at 603-271-4300.

A registration consists of a certificate and 2 decals. The registration certificate must be carried by the operator and the decals must be properly affixed to the OHRV or snowmobile.

Registering an
OHRV or Snowmobile

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department is the state agency responsible for the registration of off-highway recreational vehicles and snowmobiles. New Hampshire does not title off-highway recreational vehicles or snowmobiles, nor does it maintain any records of title or liens on these types of vehicles. No title, bill of sale or previous registration is required to register an off-highway recreational vehicle or snowmobile.

2013/2014 Annual OHRV/Snowmobile Registrations and 14-Month OHRV Registrations are valid from the date of issue through June 30, 2014, and are not prorated. New 14-month registration decals are available at OHRV Registration Agents in late April. New annual registration decals are available at OHRV Registration Agents in late June.

When registering an OHRV or snowmobile, the owner:

  1. Must be at least 18 years of age, present a valid driver’s license or non-driver photo ID, and apply in person.
  2. Must present a valid N.H. driver’s license or N.H. non-driver photo ID to qualify for resident rates.
  3. Must provide the following vehicle information: year of manufacture, make, model, displacement, primary and secondary colors, and VIN. OHRVs are not titled in N.H. — no title, bill of sale or previous registration is required.
  4. Will receive a registration certificate and 2 decals.
  5. Must affix the decals as noted above.

Tracked ATVS

In order to operate on state-approved snowmobile trails, an OHRV (wheeled vehicle) that has had the wheels or tires removed and replaced with tracks, cleats or skis, MUST be properly registered in New Hampshire as a snowmobile.

The tracked OHRV must meet the definition of a snowmobile as defined by law. The OHRV, with the tracks on, cannot exceed 54 inches in width and 1,200 pounds.

If operating as a wheeled vehicle, a New Hampshire OHRV registration is required.

Machines operated as a tracked OHRV on snowmobile trails in the winter, and as a wheeled OHRV must be dually registered in New Hampshire; both an OHRV and snowmobile registration are required. Both sets of decal stickers must be displayed on the machine.



One on each side of the cowling or on the outside of the windshield, clearly visible and not obstructed.

OHRV-decal-placement_opt.jpgATVs, Trailbikes, Side-by-sides

One on the front fender and one on the rear fender, unobstructed, as high as possible or at a location provided by the manufacturer.

Alteration of decals is prohibited.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The New Hampshire Fish & Game Department allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with New Hampshire Fish & Game Department Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The New Hampshire Fish & Game Department neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: