Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Laws and Rules

Brought to you by:


In 2013 only, there is limited ATV reciprocity with Vermont on state-approved ATV trails only from May 23 to December 1. Side-by-side UTVs, trail bikes and OHRVs over 50 inches wide are excluded from this reciprocal agreement and must obtain a N.H. OHRV registration.

Some states and provinces require proof of insurance and payment of a trail use fee or club membership. Call ahead for requirements and restrictions.

Snowmobile Reciprocity Weekend: Before each riding season, N.H. Fish and Game will advise as to the snowmobile reciprocity status for this weekend. This reciprocal weekend is valid only if VT and/or ME continue to make their snowmobile trails open to all legally registered N.H. snowmobiles.


If your vehicle is stolen, report the theft to your local police department immediately.

When reporting a theft and a copy of the registration is not available, the following information should be given:

  • Owner information; name, address and telephone number.
  • Vehicle information; make, model, displacement, year of manufacture, V.I.N., and primary/secondary colors.
  • Registration information; number and most recent year registered.


Any person, organization or corporation who wishes to operate or promote any snowmobile or OHRV event or contest involving the use of unregistered snowmobiles or unregistered OHRVs, shall procure an event permit from the Executive Director of N.H. Fish and Game. The application for the permit shall be on an annual basis, shall include a listing of scheduled events, and shall be accompanied by an annual fee of $50.

Note: Event permits must be received 30 days in advance. For more information and an application, please visit


It is illegal to operate or attempt to operate any OHRV or snowmobile while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, or with a blood alcohol concentration greater than .08% or .02% if less than 21 years old. Penalties for snowmobile and OHRV DWI and procedures for testing correspond with Motor Vehicle DWI. Snowmobile and OHRV operators must submit to a test or tests to determine blood alcohol concentration. Failure to consent to a test results in the loss of a driver’s license.

Speed Limits

Speed Shall Be Reasonable and Prudent for Existing Conditions.

10 MPH

  • Within 150 feet of a bobhouse or fishing hole.
  • On sidewalks that are open to OHRVs or snowmobiles.
  • On bridges that are posted open to OHRVs.
  • At trail junctions, in parking lots and when passing trail grooming equipment.
  • Public ways open to OHRV or snowmobile use.

15 MPH

On plowed roads on Dept. of Resources and Economic Development property.

35 MPH

  • On all trail connectors.
  • At night on Back Lake in Pittsburg.

45 MPH

On all trails where no speed limit is posted.

55 MPH

Turtletown Pond, Concord.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The New Hampshire Fish & Game Department allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with New Hampshire Fish & Game Department Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The New Hampshire Fish & Game Department neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: