Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

General Hunting Regulations & Requirements

Landowner permission is required to hunt, fish, or trap on private lands. MDWFP Wildlife Management Areas are subject to special seasons and regulations which may vary from statewide seasons and regulations. Contact the MDWFP or area personnel (see General WMA Information) for information about these areas.

License and Hunter Education Requirements

For information on license requirements, license exemptions, and hunter education requirements, see General License Information.

Unlawful Purchase of License

Any person who obtains a license under an assumed name or makes a materially false statement to obtain a license is guilty of a felony and shall be subject to a fine of two thousand dollars ($2,000) and/or may be imprisoned for a term of one (1) year.

Shooting Hours

Legal shooting hours for resident game are one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise to one-half (1/2) hour after sunset. Legal shooting hours for migratory birds are one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise to sunset.

Legal Game

For description of legal bucks, see White-tailed Deer Management Zones. Raccoon, fox, opossum, beaver, nutria, coyotes, and bobcats may be legally hunted at night, with or without the use of a light and with dogs, except during the spring turkey season. Hunters may hunt raccoon with dogs during the spring turkey season with a permit issued from MDWFP. These permits may be obtained online at

Landowners, leaseholders, or their designated agents may take nuisance animals year-round on lands owned or leased by them. Beaver, coyotes, nutria, fox, skunk, and wild hogs are classified as nuisance species and can be taken year round by licensed hunters subject to applicable regulations (see Admin. Rules -Part 2. Chapter 7 – Rule 7.1).

Weapons and Loads

Legal weapons for hunting from one-half (1/2) hour after sunset to one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise are restricted to handguns or rifles using no larger than .22 standard rimfire cartridges (no. 22 magnums) and shotguns with shot no larger than No. 6.

When hunting migratory birds, a shotgun must be “plugged” so that it can hold no more than three (3) shells at one loading.

The hunting of turkeys during the spring gobbler and fall either-sex seasons shall be restricted to shotguns with shot no larger than No. 2 and compound, recurve, crossbow, and long bows. However, any quadriplegic may hunt turkey with a rifle.

Decoys and Bait

It is illegal to hunt any wild animal or wild bird with the aid of live decoys or bait. Liquid scents may be used. Electrically operated calling or sound-reproducing devices may be used for hunting crow and nuisance animals. See Admin. Rules -Part 2. Chapter 7 – Rule 7.2 for information on baiting of nuisance animals. See supplemental feeding of wild animals regulations.

Hunting Dogs

Running of dogs during spring turkey season is allowed only by the exceptions designated in Admin. Rules – Part 4 – Chapter 5 – Rule 5.3. Dogs are not allowed for hunting deer during archery season, primitive weapon seasons, or still hunting season. Application for dog field trials must be made to the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks at least 5 working days before the opening of the trial.

Meaning of “Unloaded”

“Unloaded” means that a cartridge or shell is not positioned in the barrel or magazine of the firearm or in a clip, magazine, or retainer attached to the firearm; or in the case of a caplock muzzle-loading firearm,”unloaded” means that the cap has been removed; or in the case of a flintlock muzzle-loading firearm, “unloaded” means that all powder has been removed from the flashpan.

Hunting from Roads, Vehicles, and Boats

It is unlawful to hunt or shoot in, on, or across any street, public road, public highway, railroad, or the rights-of-way.

An unloaded muzzle-loading caplock firearm is one with the cap removed. An unloaded muzzleloading flintlock firearm is one with no powder in the flashpan.

It is unlawful to shoot at any wild animal or wild bird from any motorized land vehicle or motorized land conveyance unless the progress from such vehicle or conveyance has completely ceased and the vehicle is out of any public road and off of the right of way. It shall also be unlawful to hunt, chase, take, kill, or pursue any wild bird or wild animal from a motorboat or other watercraft having a motor, unless the motor has been shut off and its progress has ceased; provided that beaver and squirrels may be taken from a boat under power. Deer may not be taken from a boat at any time.

Animal Control Permits

Animal Control Permits may be issued to scare, harass, and/or kill deer that are destroying crops only after an MDWFP officer has inspected the damage and requested the issuance of such permits. To request an officer to inspect your damage, contact the appropriate regional office. Regional office phone numbers can be found on General WMA Information.

Killing Deer Out of Season

If a person is convicted of killing any deer out of season, that person may be fined not less than $100 and his license may be revoked for a year by the Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks.


It is unlawful to hunt deer at night with the aid of a light, lighting device, or light amplifying device. Headlighting deer is a Class I violation and a conviction is punishable by a minimum $2,000 fine and forfeiture of hunting, trapping, and fishing privileges for one to three years.

Any equipment used to hunt or kill deer at night with a lighting device that is subject to seizure is considered contraband property and will be seized by the enforcement officer. This equipment is subject to forfeiture and may become property of the State of Mississippi.

A person may be charged for headlighting if that person is caught shining lands on either side of a public road with a firearm in the vehicle. An individual who shines the lands on either side of a public road with no firearm in the vehicle may be charged with harassing wildlife. This provision does not apply to normal use of lights while driving, emergency vehicles, landowners, or agricultural leaseholders searching for livestock or lawfully hunting, trapping, or fishing.

Transporting Game

Any game animal, bird, or fish lawfully taken may be possessed at any time. A permit number is required prior to transporting live wild hogs, wild boar, or feral hogs. To obtain a permit number, contact 601-432-2170 (24-hour dispatcher) prior to transporting any live wild hog.


It is unlawful to throw, dump or otherwise dispose of, any dead wildlife, wildlife parts or waste on roads, rights-of-way of such roads, highways, or upon any private property without the permission of the owner of such property.

Selling of Animals Native to Mississippi

It is unlawful to buy, sell, offer for sale, or exchange for merchandise or other consideration, any game animal, game bird, or game fish (regardless of whether it was taken in or out of Mississippi), except as follows: the skins and sinew of legally taken deer may be bought or sold at any time, products crafted or made from deer bone or antlers not in velvet may be sold, any part of a wild turkey, except the meat may be bought or sold, and any parts of nuisance animals may be bought or sold. The carcasses of raccoons, opossums, and muskrats may be sold for food during the open trapping season, and for 30 days after the close of trapping season. It also is illegal to buy or sell any non-game wildlife native to Mississippi, or any mounted game animals, game birds, or game fish.

Protected Wildlife

All birds of prey (eagles, hawks, osprey, owls, kites, and vultures) and other non-game birds are protected and may not be hunted, molested, bought, or sold. English sparrows, starlings, and blackbirds may be taken according to regulations.

The following endangered species are also protected: black bear, Florida panther, gray bat, Indiana bat, all sea turtles, gopher tortoise, sawback turtles (black-knobbed, ringed, yellow-blotched), black pine snake, eastern indigo snake, rainbow snake, and the southern hognose snake.

Migratory Game Birds

Seasons, limits, and regulations for dove, crow, rail, gallinule, coot, woodcock, snipe, and waterfowl (ducks and geese) will be announced following release of guidelines by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Any person 16 years of age and older must have both a federal waterfowl stamp and a state waterfowl stamp (or proof of electronic purchase of the state stamp) in order to hunt migratory waterfowl (ducks and geese). Exempt landowners and hunters over the age of 65 also must have these stamps when hunting waterfowl. Dove, rail, gallinule, coot, woodcock, crows, and snipe are not classified as waterfowl and may be hunted without such stamps.

All licensed hunters hunting migratory game birds (dove, rail, gallinule, coot, woodcock, snipe, crows, and waterfowl (ducks and geese) must be H.I.P. (Harvest Information Program) certified. H.I.P. certified means taking the Migratory Bird Survey at time of license purchase or separately.

Public Waterways

Public waterways are defined in Miss. Code Ann. §51-1-4, and set forth on a map of public waterways prepared and maintained by the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality. All citizens of the state of Mississippi and other states, have the right to use the public waterways for free transport, fishing, and water sports. Any person using the public waters of the state does so at his or her own risk. The use of the public waters of the state does not entitle any person to trespass upon any lands adjacent to the stream or waterway. No person using the public waterways may harm or disturb the banks or bed of the stream, nor may any person hunt, fish, or go across any adjacent lands under floodwaters outside the natural banks of the waterway. The right of the public to use the public waterways does not include the use of motorized vehicles (ATV’s, trucks, etc.) on the streambed. Exceptions to this prohibition are set forth in Miss. Code Ann. §51-1-4.

Non-Resident Regulations

It is unlawful for a non-resident to kill an antlerless deer except: on lands that the title is vested in the non-resident, or on lands that the non-resident has leased the hunting and fishing rights. A non-resident who has a native son or daughter non-resident lifetime sportsman license or a resident lifetime sportsman license may take antlerless deer on private lands, wildlife management areas, or national wildlife refuges.


Trappers must have permission to trap on any land other than their own. A trapping license is required of anyone 16 years of age or older who traps furbearing and nuisance animals on property other than their own. A trapping license is also required of each assistant or helper 16 years of age or older employed or used by a trapper. Trappers are required to have an identification number, which is registered with the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, & Parks, attached to ALL traps by a metal tag or permanently inscribed, etched, or stamped on the trap. Any trap found without a registered identification number will be in violation and subject to removal by a conservation officer.

It shall be unlawful for any person to disturb the traps of another or to take furbearing/nuisance animals from them unless authorized by the owner. A trapping license is required to sell the pelts and/or skins of nuisance animals and furbearers, and may be sold only during the trapping season and for 30 days thereafter. All traps must be attended at least once every 36-hour period.

No traps may be placed on or set within 100 feet of any street or public road. Except, a municipality or county, or any person who has contracted with a municipality or county, may place or set only snare traps within one hundred (100) feet of any road or street located within such municipality or county. The governing authority of the municipality or the board of supervisors of the county shall make a finding that such placement of snare traps is reasonable and necessary to protect the public safety by removing fur-bearing and nuisance animals that threaten the safety of public roads and bridges. Snares shall be submerged at least fifty percent (50%). Additionally, landowners may trap on their own land within 100 feet of a public road, but not within the maintained road right-of-way.

No body-gripping (conibear-type) traps that exceed 7 inches inside jaw spread may be set on any public lands unless submerged in water.

Licensed trappers may maintain raw fur, green pelts, or dried fur in storage at any time. Anyone transporting raw fur or green pelts from 11 days after close of trapping season until the day before opening of trapping season must tag and identify such fur and pelts with the date, county of harvest, and person who trapped them.

It is illegal to trap with the aid of bait, recordings of bird or animal calls, or electrically amplified imitations of calls of any kind. Except, lure is allowed for trapping furbearers, beaver, nutria, coyote, skunk, and fox, provided that no more than two and one-half (2.5) cubic inches of such lure may be placed or located within twenty (20) feet of any trap. The lure amount of 2.5 cubic inches is approximately the volume equivalent of a regulation-sized golfball. All lure within twenty (20) feet of any trap must be covered and not visible from above. However, there are no lure restrictions when used inside live-cage type traps that do not exceed forty-two (42) inches in length, fifteen (15) inches in width, and twenty (20) inches in height. Liquid scents may be used.

The carcasses of raccoons, muskrats, and opossums may be sold for food during the open trapping season and for thirty (30) days after the close of trapping season. The holder of an All Game License, Sportsman License, or Trapping License may sell any part of any nuisance animal year-round.


Federal regulations which require tagging to account for harvest of bobcat and river otter are in effect. The Commission requires the tagging of otter and bobcat, to account for harvest of these species, which are subject to federal export regulations (CITES Tags). Bobcat and river otter harvested in Mississippi must be CITES tagged prior to shipping or transporting out of Mississippi. Effective November 2012:It is no longer required to present the carcass or pelt to the MDWFP in order to purchase CITES tags.

CITES tags (via over-the-counter purchases) are available for purchase at the following MDWFP locations: Jackson Office, North Region Office, Central Region Office, South Region Office, Buccaneer State Park, Clarkco State Park, Hugh White State Park, J. P. Coleman State Park, John Kyle State Park, Legion State Park, Leroy Percy State Park, Natchez State Park, and Paul B. Johnson State Park. Tags are $0.25 each. Quantities at each location may be limited, therefore, it is recommended to call in advance.

CITES tags (via mail purchases). Please send a request for the desired number of bobcat and/or otter tags along with a check made payable to MDWFP. Tags are $0.25 each. Each mail-in request is limited to no more than 40 total tags. Please allow 5-7 working days for processing. Send request and check to: MDWFP, Attn: WL Bureau – CITES Tags, 1505 Eastover Dr., Jackson, MS 39211.


Alligator hunting in Mississippi is allowed by special permit only. There are separate seasons for public waters and private lands. Each alligator permit allows the harvest of two alligators 4 feet long or longer, but only 1 may exceed 7 feet long. The MDWFP issues harvest tags to each permittee and harvest reporting is mandatory.

Public Water Permits – A limited number of public water permits are selected each year by an electronic drawing of applicants who must be Mississippi residents 16 years of age or older. Electronic applications must be submitted via during the first two weeks of June. Applicants may apply for any or all of the 7 geographically based public water zones. Applicants may only apply once in each zone each year. Drawn applicants must attend a mandatory alligator hunting training course to qualify for the permit. License requirements for drawn applicants are an Alligator Hunting License ($25) and an Alligator Possession Permit ($100), as well as an All Game Hunting License. Any hunting party guests 16 years of age and older must possess a valid Alligator Hunting License and an All Game Hunting License. Hunter education requirements for licenses do apply. For more specific regulations and application procedures visit .

Private Lands Permits – There are 28 counties open to private lands permits. To be eligible, properties in open counties must contain at least 20 acres of privately owned permanent surface water. One harvest permit voucher is issued for properties with at least 20 acres of eligible water and one additional voucher for each additional 100 acres of eligible water. Applications are available at Applications are submitted in June and the deadline for submission is July 1. Only one application may be submitted per property. Applicants may be residents or non-residents 16 years of age or older. Applicants must provide signed permission from the landowner, copies of property tax receipts, property deed and legal description, and a property boundary map. Qualifying applicants must attend a mandatory alligator hunting training course to qualify for the permit. License requirements for drawn applicants are an Alligator Hunting License ($25) and an Alligator Possession Permit (Resident-$100, Non-resident $200), as well as an All Game Hunting License. Any hunting party guests 16 years of age and older must purchase an Alligator Hunting License and an All Game Hunting License. Hunter education requirements for licenses do apply. For more specific regulations and application procedures visit

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: