Sylvania Wilderness Area
Sylvania Wilderness Area Regulations
The following lakes in Gogebic County are subject to special regulations: Banks, East Bear, West Bear, Clark, Corey, Cub, Deer Island, Dorothy, Elsie, Fisher, Florence, Germain, Glimmerglass, Golden Silence, Hay, Helen, High, Honey, Jay, Johnston Springs, Katherine, Kerr, Liluis, Lois, Loon, Louise, Marsh, Moss, Mountain, Snap Jack, Trapper, and Whitefish Lakes.
Statewide seasons apply on all fish species, except that no fishing shall be allowed before the last Sat. in Apr. or after Oct. 31 of each year.
- Lake trout: not less than 30”.
- Walleye: not less than 20”.
- Northern pike: not less than 30”.
- All other species: no size limit.
- Largemouth or smallmouth bass must be returned immediately to the water without injury, and may not be possessed on the special provision lakes of the Sylvania Wilderness Area.
- Northern pike, walleye, lake trout: not more than 1 fish of any of these species.
- All other species: 10 singly or in any combination of species.
Method of Take
- Hook-and-line fishing only, not to exceed 3 lines to which may be attached a total of 6 hooks on all lines. All hooks attached to a manufactured artificial lure shall be counted as 1 hook.
- Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used. “Artificial lure” means any lure that is man-made, in imitation of or as a substitute for natural bait, used to attract fish for the purpose of taking them, and shall include artificial flies.
- Live bait, dead or preserved bait, organic or processed food, or scented material may not be used or possessed at any time on special provision Sylvania Wilderness Area lakes.
Regulations in red are new this year.
Purple text indicates an important note.