Choose your state

AlabamaAlabama Hunting & Fishing

AlaskaAlaska Drivers ManualAlaska Motorcycle ManualAlaska Commercial DriversAlaska Waterfowl HuntingAlaska Hunting

ArizonaArizona HuntingArizona Waterfowl Hunting

ArkansasArkansas HuntingArkansas Waterfowl Hunting

CaliforniaCalifornia Big Game HuntingCalifornia Freshwater FishingCalifornia Fishing SupplementCalifornia Waterfowl & Upland Game & Public LandsCalifornia Saltwater FishingCalifornia Mammal Hunting

ColoradoColorado HuntingColorado Waterfowl Hunting

ConnecticutConnecticut FishingConnecticut Hunting

DelawareDelaware HuntingDelaware Fishing

FloridaFlorida HuntingFlorida Saltwater FishingFlorida Freshwater Fishing

GeorgiaGeorgia Alcohol & Drug Awareness ProgramGeorgia HuntingGeorgia Commercial DriversGeorgia Drivers ManualGeorgia Motorcycle Manual40-Hour Parent/Teen Driving GuideGeorgia Fishing

HawaiiHawaii Hunting

IdahoIdaho HuntingIdaho Deer HuntingIdaho Waterfowl Hunting

IllinoisIllinois HuntingIllinois Waterfowl Hunting

IndianaIndiana HuntingIndiana Fishing

IowaIowa HuntingIowa Waterfowl Hunting

KansasKansas HuntingKansas Waterfowl Hunting

KentuckyKentucky HuntingKentucky Waterfowl Hunting

LouisianaLouisiana Hunting

MaineMaine HuntingMaine FishingMaine ATV & Snowmobile

MarylandMaryland FishingMaryland Hunting

MassachusettsMassachusetts Hunting & FishingMassachusetts Saltwater Fishing

MichiganMichigan FishingMichigan HuntingMichigan Waterfowl Hunting

MinnesotaMinnesota HuntingMinnesota Waterfowl Hunting

MississippiMississippi Hunting & Fishing

MissouriMissouri HuntingMissouri Waterfowl Hunting

MontanaMontana HuntingMontana Deer HuntingMontana Waterfowl Hunting

NebraskaNebraska HuntingNebraska Deer HuntingNebraska Waterfowl Hunting

NevadaNevada FishingNevada Small Game HuntingNevada Big Game HuntingNevada Hunting Applications

New HampshireNew Hampshire Freshwater FishingNew Hampshire Saltwater FishingNew Hampshire HuntingNew Hampshire ATV & Snowmobile

New JerseyNew Jersey Saltwater FishingNew Jersey HuntingNew Jersey Freshwater Fishing

New MexicoNew Mexico HuntingNew Mexico Hunting Rules & Info – 2016-2017New Mexico Waterfowl Hunting

New YorkNew York HuntingNew York Fishing

North CarolinaNorth Carolina HuntingNorth Carolina Waterfowl Hunting

North DakotaNorth Dakota HuntingNorth Dakota Deer HuntingNorth Dakota Waterfowl Hunting

OhioOhio HuntingOhio Fishing

OklahomaOklahoma FishingOklahoma Hunting

OregonOregon Game Bird HuntingOregon FishingOregon Big Game Hunting

PennsylvaniaPennsylvania HuntingPennsylvania Waterfowl Hunting

Rhode IslandRhode Island Saltwater Fishing Regulations GuideRhode Island HuntingRhode Island Freshwater Fishing

South CarolinaSouth Carolina Hunting & Fishing

South DakotaSouth Dakota HuntingSouth Dakota Waterfowl Hunting

TennesseeTennessee HuntingTennessee Waterfowl Hunting

TexasTexas HuntingTexas Waterfowl Hunting

UtahUtah HuntingUtah Deer HuntingUtah Waterfowl Hunting

VermontVermont HuntingVermont Fishing

VirginiaVirginia Migratory Game Bird HuntingVirginia HuntingVirginia Fishing

WashingtonWashington HuntingWashington Deer HuntingWashington Waterfowl Hunting

West VirginiaWest Virginia HuntingWest Virginia Waterfowl Hunting

WisconsinWisconsin HuntingWisconsin Deer HuntingWisconsin Waterfowl Hunting

WyomingWyoming HuntingWyoming Deer HuntingWyoming Waterfowl Hunting


Licenses & Fees

Hunting Regulations Icon Massachusetts Hunting & Fishing



Hunting, Freshwater fishing, & Trapping licenses

Licenses are valid from January 1 through December 31 (except for limited term licenses).

Who Needs a License?

p-12__replacement_buck__bill_byrne_-processedLicenses are required for all persons 15 years of age and over for hunting any game bird or mammal; and/or for fishing the inland waters of Massachusetts. No person under the age of 12 may hunt. Anglers under 15 may fish, but do not need a license. A trapping license is required for all persons age 12 years of age and older. In addition, to trap on the land of another, a Trap Registration Number is required.

Agricultural Landowners: Any person who owns or leases land that is principally used for agriculture and any immediate family members and who are domiciled on said land does not need a hunting, fishing, or trapping license to hunt, fish, or trap on that property. Permits and stamps are still required.

License Display: All hunters, anglers and trappers must have their license, permits and stamps in possession while engaging in these activities. Hunters and anglers may display a true, complete and legible image of a valid license using a mobile device. Hunters must still comply with all tagging requirements. If a tag is required, as it is for hunting deer, bear, and turkey, hunters must carry a paper copy of the tag attached to the appropriate documentation (i.e. license or permit).

Resident & Non-Resident Licenses: To obtain a resident hunting, fishing, or trapping license, applicant must reside in Massachusetts for six consecutive months immediately prior to purchase.

NOTE: For non-residents, a valid Massachusetts non-resident license is required. A big game license (license Class H5) is required of non-residents to hunt deer, bear, and wild turkey. For more information, see page 22.

Purchasing Licenses, Stamps & Permits

Licenses, stamps, and permits may be purchased online by anglers 15 years and older, and by hunters and trappers 18 years or older at Minor hunters (15-17 years old) and minor trappers (12-17 years old) cannot purchase a license online due to documents needed for verification. Minors (or parent/guardian) must purchase the license at a MassWildlife office or other license vendor including some city and town clerks, and selected sporting goods retailers.

Hunting/Sporting License

Hunting and sporting (fishing/hunting) licenses for anyone aged 15 years or older can be purchased only if the buyer has successfully completed a Basic Hunter Education course or held a hunting license anywhere in North America prior to 2007.

Minor Hunters (15–17 Years Old): All minors 15-17 years old must be licensed and have required stamps and permits to hunt any bird or mammal. To obtain a hunting or sporting license, a minor must have a letter of consent from a parent or guardian and either a Basic Hunter Education Certificate from anywhere in North America or a letter signed by a parent affirming that the minor will be accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older. Minor hunting and sporting licenses can only be purchased from MassWildlife offices or license vendors, a vendor must verify the minor has a consent letter and either a Basic Hunter Education Certificate or an “adult accompaniment” letter. Minors must carry their Hunter Education Certificate while hunting. If gun hunting, a Firearms Identification card (FID) is required.

Minor Hunters (12-14 years old): No person under the age of 12 may hunt. All minors 12–14 years old may hunt when accompanied by a duly licensed adult, provided that a single bag limit shall be observed and only one firearm/bow is possessed by the two. Only one minor per adult is permitted. No Firearms Identification (FID) card is needed by 12-14 year old minors.


Hunting with birds of prey is allowed under a special permit from MassWildlife. A hunting license is also required. Contact MassWildlife at (508) 389-6300 or visit for more information.

Freshwater Fishing License

Anglers 15 and older must have a freshwater fishing license to fish inland (fresh) waters of Massachusetts. Anglers under 15 may fish, but do not need a license. A freshwater (inland) fishing license is not required on the Merrimack River seaward of the first upstream bridge (northbound traffic) of Route 495 in Haverhill however a saltwater fishing permit is required. (See page 11)

Trapping License & Trap Registration Number

To trap on the land of another, a Trap Registration Number is required and may be obtained from the Permit Section, Boston Office (617) 626-1575 only after successful completion of a Trapper Education course from any U.S. state. To obtain a trapping license, minors 12–17 years-old must have a letter of consent from a parent or guardian. For more trapping information, see page 43.


Bear, turkey, and antlerless deer permits may only be used by the hunter to whom they are issued. They are not transferable.

ANTLERLESS DEER PERMIT: Required to take an antlerless deer during archery, shotgun, and primitive firearms seasons in all zones. The deadline to apply for an antlerless deer permit is July 16 at any license vendor or online through the MassFishHunt system. Only one application per person. The application is free. See page 36 for more details.

YOUTH DEER HUNT PERMIT: Youth hunters ages 12–17 are required to obtain a free permit to hunt deer on the 4th Saturday following Labor Day. See page 38.

BEAR PERMIT: Required to hunt bear. Hunters may purchase this permit when purchasing their hunting/sporting license or at any time prior to the end of the third segment of the bear season through any license vendor or online computer. Fee is $5.00.

TURKEY PERMIT: Required to hunt turkey. Hunters may purchase this permit when purchasing their hunting/sporting license or at any time prior to the end of the fall turkey season through any license vendor or online computer. Fee is $5.00.


Special licenses or permits are necessary for sale, possession, importation or release of certain fish and wildlife, and for fur dealers, propagators, wildlife rehabilitators, taxidermists and/or fur buyers. Sale and importation of baitfish require separate dealer and importation permits. Apply to MassWildlife Boston office, Permit Section (617) 626-1575. For permits regarding crossbows, falconry, problem animal control, or shooting preserves contact Field Headquarters at (508) 389-6300.


ARCHERY STAMP: ($5.10) Required to hunt deer during the archery deer season.

PRIMITIVE FIREARMS STAMP: ($5.10) Required to hunt deer during the primitive firearms deer season.

MASSACHUSETTS WATERFOWL STAMP: ($5.00) Required of all waterfowl (ducks and geese) hunters age 15 and older. Massachusetts state stamps are valid Jan. 1 – Dec. 31 and may be purchased online at or wherever hunting licenses are sold. Stamp purchase includes mandatory Harvest Information Program (HIP) Registration.

FEDERAL MIGRATORY GAME BIRD STAMP: ($25.00) Required of all waterfowl hunters 16 years or older. Federal stamps are valid July 1 – June 30 of the following year. Federal stamp must be signed across the stamp in ink. Federal stamps are available at all National Wildlife Refuges, selected U.S. Post Offices, and at New this year, federal stamps are also available for purchase online through MassFishHunt ( or wherever hunting licenses are sold.

New this Year


Waterfowl hunters may purchase a Federal Migratory Game Bird Stamp through the MassFishHunt online licensing system, at any authorized license agent, or at any MassWildlife office. When purchasing the federal stamp online, a federal “eDuck Stamp” will be added to your Massachusetts hunting or sporting license and can be used immediately. This eDuck Stamp provides all the privileges of a Federal Duck Stamp on a temporary basis and will expire 45 days from the date of purchase. Before your eDuck Stamp expires, a physical Federal Duck Stamp will be sent to you via U.S. mail. As soon as you receive the Federal Duck Stamp, you must sign it in ink across the face and carry it with you while hunting. If you bought an eDuck Stamp and did not receive your physical Duck Stamp after a few weeks, contact Amplex at or (800) 852-4897. If you experience difficulty purchasing the Federal eDuck Stamp through the MassFishHunt system, call (888) 773-8450. Visit for more information.

2017 License, Stamp & Permit Fees





Resident Fishing



Resident Minor Fishing (Age 15–17)



Resident Fishing (Age 65–69)



Resident Fishing (Age 70 or over)
Or paraplegic, blind, intellectually disabled*



Non-resident Fishing



Non-resident Fishing (3 day)



Resident Fishing (3 day)



Non-resident Fishing (Age 15–17)



Quabbin One Day Fishing



Resident Citizen Hunting



Resident Citizen Hunting (Age 65–69)



Resident/Non-resident Hunting, Paraplegic*



Resident Alien Hunting



Non-resident (adult/minor) Hunting, Big Game
(Deer, Bear, Turkey, and all other game species)



Non-resident (adult/minor) Hunting, Small Game
(All game species except deer, bear, and turkey)



Non-resident Commercial Shooting Preserve (1 day)



Resident Minor Hunting (Age 15–17)



Resident Commercial Shooting Preserve (1 day)



Resident Citizen Sporting



Resident Citizen Sporting (Age 65–69)



Resident Citizen Sporting (Age 70 or over)
(includes trapping)



Resident/Non-Resident Paraplegic Sporting*



Resident Trapping



Resident Minor Trapping (Age 12–17)



Resident Trapping (Age 65-69)


M/N 1

Archery Stamp


M/N 2

Waterfowl Stamp


M/N 3

Primitive Firearms Stamp



Wildlands Stamp, Resident



Wildlands Stamp, Non-resident


Antlerless Deer Permit (when issued)


Bear Permit


Turkey Permit


Trap Registration Number (Boston Office)


Trap Registration Number Renewal (Boston Office)


Non-resident Trapping Permit
(Field Headquarters Office)


Resident Furbuyer*


Non-resident Citizen/Alien Furbuyer*



NOTE: Fee for first resident license and all non-resident
licenses includes a $5.00 fee for the Wildlands Conservation Stamp. Fee for second resident license in calendar year does not include the $5.00 fee for the Wildlands Conservation Stamp. City and town clerks must add an additional one dollar ($1.00); other sales agents may add up to an additional one dollar and fifty cents ($1.50) service fee to the price of each license sold. An additional service fee of $1.50 per license is applied to all licenses purchased through a sales agent. The same service fee, plus an additional 3% internet handling charge on the total transaction, is applied to all online license purchases. There are no service fees or internet handling charges for licenses purchased at offices of the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife, where only cash or checks are accepted.

Ask the landowner

Hunting, fishing, and trapping are permitted on private land that is not posted against trespass. As a courtesy, ask the landowner for permission in advance. Landowners with posted land may provide (written) permission for individuals to access their property. Written landowner permission is required to trap on posted land. Hunters should also check for relevant town bylaws pertaining to hunting and discharge of firearms.

Saltwater Fishing Permits

Saltwater anglers in Massachusetts are required to purchase a state recreational saltwater fishing permit. The fee for this permit is $10 and is the same cost for all anglers, including non-residents. Anglers younger than 16, or disabled, or who fish only on charter boats or “head boats” are exempt from this requirement. Anglers age 60 and older will need to obtain a permit, but the saltwater permit is free. The permit is available online, by mail, and in person at participating vendors and the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries offices in Gloucester, Boston, and New Bedford. For more information, please visit:

Marine Fisheries


Have any questions regarding saltwater fishing regulations?

Call the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries information hotline at (617) 626-1520 or visit or email