Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
Join the Griffin's Guide HUNTING newsletter

Get weekly news, tips and photos from the world of hunting.
[contact-form-7 id="35884" title="GG Email"]
No Thanks!

2014 Saltwater Fishing Permit

Brought to you by:

Who Needs a Permit?

  • All fishermen age 16 or older that wish to engage in the recreational activity of finfishing
  • Fishermen age 60 or over need a permit but there is no charge


The following individuals DO NOT need a 2014 permit:

  • Fishermen under 16 years of age
  • Fishermen who regardless of their age otherwise meet the definition of a disabled person in M.G.L. c. 19C
  • Fishermen fishing on permitted for-hire vessels (charter/head boat)


  • All permitted MA residents may fish in the three neighboring coastal states (NH, RI, CT)
  • Permitted fishermen from these three neighboring coastal states may also fish in MA waters

Permit Fee

The fee for an individual fisherman (resident or non-resident) is $10

How will the permit fee money be used?

All money from permit fees will be deposited into a dedicated account and can only be used for implementing projects that will enhance recreational saltwater fishing including:

  • Improvement of public access for recreational saltwater fishermen
  • Development and implementation of education materials for the public
  • Other marine recreational fishing programs approved by the recreational fishing development panel

Marine Fisheries strongly recommends the use of circle hooks for their proven ability to reduce mortality of released fish.

To Obtain a 2014 Massachusetts Recreational Saltwater Fishing Permit:

Visit our website at:

Call toll-free from 5am-5pm: 1-866-703-1925

For a list of permit vendor locations and to view frequently asked questions, please visit our website at:

For questions please email:

or call:

Boston – (617) 626-1520

Gloucester – (978) 282-0308 x150

New Bedford – (508) 990-2860 x150

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Brought to you by:
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
JF Griffin Media
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: