Join the Griffin's Guide HUNTING newsletter
Get weekly news, tips and photos from the world of hunting.
[contact-form-7 id="35884" title="GG Email"]
The 2014 New Jersey Freshwater Fishing Guide is now available!
To view the new guide, please download the pdf
. Check back in the coming days as we work to put up the new 2014 website.
Below is content from the 2013 guide.
Tagging & Checking
Deer & turkey tagging and checking instructions
Before moving each deer or turkey from the place of kill*, the hunter must:
- Complete the Maryland Deer and Turkey Field Tag (example below) in ink and attach it to the animal. The Field Tag must be attached to the head of the deer or leg of the turkey. These tags are available in this 2014–2015 Guide to Hunting & Trapping in Maryland or a tag with the appropriate information can be made by the hunter.
* Place of kill is the location where the animal expired and was first recovered.
- Fill out a block on the Maryland Big Game Harvest Record (example at right) in ink. Record the species, date, county, sex, and weapon class (Confirmation Number will be provided later). The Big Game Harvest Record is included on the Hunting License.
- After completing Steps 1 and 2, the deer or turkey can legally be moved from the place of kill.
- Hunters should use their DNRid number when checking in a deer or turkey via the Internet or Maryland Big Game Registration Phone Line. The DNRid number is printed on all hunting licenses. Landowners hunting without a license need to obtain a free DNRid number (see Licenses, Stamps, & Permits).
- Hunters then have until 24 hours after the kill is field tagged to check in their game using the Internet check-in site http://gamecheck.dnr.state.md.us or calling the Maryland Big Game Registration Phone Line 1-888-800-0121to complete the check-in process. TTY users, call through the Maryland Relay. For ease of use, deaf and hard of hearing hunters are encouraged to use the Internet check-in site.
- Important: At the end of the Internet or telephone check-in, a Confirmation Number will be issued which must be recorded in the Confirmation Number space on the Big Game Harvest Record.
- A hunter may not remove the head or hide or any part from any deer (except internal organs), or cut the meat into parts, until the deer has been checked in and the confirmation number recorded on the Big Game Harvest Record.
- Each deer and turkey harvested must be checked via the Internet or telephone and each will have its own Confirmation Number that must be recorded on the Big Game Harvest Record. It is possible to receive the same Confirmation Number for multiple animals. Please do not recheck a deer or turkey you have already checked. If you have a question or need to retrieve a Confirmation Number, call your local Wildlife & Heritage Service office.
- Hunters will be required to furnish the Confirmation Number to taxidermists and or processors/butchers before they can leave their deer or turkey. Hunters should also complete a Butcher/Taxidermy Tag (example below) to give to the Butcher/Taxidermist for their record keeping. These tags are provided in this 2014–2015 Guide to Hunting & Trapping in Maryland or one can be made by the hunter. For deer, the Field Tag must remain on the head and should not be removed at the butcher shop. Hunters who plan to have their deer mounted should attach the tag to the antler and not through a hole cut in the ear.
- The completed Big Game Harvest Record with associated Confirmation Numbers serves as the hunter’s possession tag and must remain in the hunter’s possession. If the hunter harvests more than 6 animals (combination of deer and turkeys), he/she can obtain another Big Game Harvest Record free-of-charge from a Maryland Sport License agent.
- In cases where the hunter is not required to have a Hunting License, the hunter must complete the tagging procedure. Field Tags can be made by using other paper and providing the information as described above or by using the Field Tags provided in the Guide to Hunting & Trapping In Maryland. Hunters not required to have a license must obtain a free DNRid number and a free Maryland Big Game Harvest Record if they intend to hunt deer or turkeys. These items may be obtained from a DNR Sport License agent or online at http://dnr.maryland.gov/service. Hunters not required to have a license must then use their DNRid number when checking in a deer or turkey.
Regulations in red are new this year.
Purple text indicates an important note.
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Maryland Department of Natural Resources allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Maryland Department of Natural Resources Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC & eRegulations.com, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Maryland Department of Natural Resources neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/eRegulations.com directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: www.jfgriffin.com