New for 2018
NEW laws and Regulations for 2018–2019
- The statewide combined total antlered white-tailed bag limit for Archery, Muzzleloader and Firearms Seasons is now two (2). Hunters in Region B will be eligible to take a third antlered deer with the purchase of a Bonus Antlered Deer Stamp.
- Hunters may only harvest one (1) antlered white-tailed deer per day within the prescribed bag limit.
- Hunters may now harvest one (1) antlered white-tailed deer within the prescribed bag limit that does not meet the requirement of having at least 3 points on one antler. Junior hunters and apprentice license holders 16 years of age or younger are exempt from this requirement.
- Hunters in Region B are no longer required to harvest two (2) antlerless white-tailed deer before using the Bonus Antlered Deer Stamp.
- Hunters in Region A may now harvest either an antlerless or an antlered white-tailed deer during the early muzzleloader season on public land.
- The Region B Archery Season antlerless white-tailed bag limit has been changed from unlimited to fifteen (15).
- Additional Sunday hunting opportunities for archery hunters have been added in Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Kent, Montgomery, Garrett and Washington Counties. See Sunday Deer Hunting for details.
- Black bear hunting season has been extended by one day. The season will now run from Monday-Friday. See Black Bear Hunting for more details.
- The daily bag limit for pheasant has been increased to two (2) birds and they may be of either sex. The season has also been expanded.
- Fall Turkey season has been extended by one (1) day.
- The Maryland Natural Resources Police has partnered with Maryland Wildlife Crimestoppers to prevent poaching of our fish and wildlife resources. You can report poaching and wildlife crime while remaining anonymous and be eligible for a cash reward. You can call or text Maryland Wildlife Crimestoppers at 1-443-433-4112 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also report violations from your phone using the Maryland DNR App!
- Special event pheasant hunts will be held on December 15 and 16, 2018 at five Wildlife Management Areas in western Maryland. A lottery will provide Junior and Apprentice License holders only, an exclusive opportunity to hunt pheasants. Those wishing to participate must apply for a permit through a lottery process. See Special Event Pheasant Hunt.
- Hunters may now maintain their harvest report card electronically. See Deer & Turkey Tagging & Checking.
Legislation passed during the 2018 General Assembly created several changes for hunters in Maryland:
- Hunters may now wear daylight fluorescent pink in addition to fluorescent orange.
- In Montgomery County archery hunters are no longer required to use a tree stand when hunting but must be in an elevated position when hunting within 50 to 100 yards of any building or camp occupied by human beings.
NATIONAL HUNTING AND FISHING DAY
The Department of Natural Resources will be sponsoring the eleventh annual Maryland’s Celebration of National Hunting and Fishing Day on Saturday, September 22, 2018. The event will be held at the Izaak Walton League of America in Washington County located at 12759 Independence Rd., Clear Spring, MD 21722. Open to the public, this FREE EVENT will run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. This family oriented day offers fun and educational hands-on activities that everyone will enjoy. It is a great way to introduce young people and newcomers to outdoor sports, while teaching them about the important role that hunting and fishing play in Maryland’s wildlife conservation programs. A few of the fun and challenging hands on activities participants can try include archery, target shooting and clay shooting on the grounds with skilled instructors. There will be displays of hunting and fishing equipment, outdoor and hunting related organizations and demonstrations of outdoor skills.
For more information, visit dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/hunt_trap/NHFD.aspx or contact Chris Markin at 410-221-8838 X105 or email@example.com.