Join the Griffin's Guide HUNTING newsletter
Get weekly news, tips and photos from the world of hunting.
[contact-form-7 id="35884" title="GG Email"]
- Hunting with birds of prey is permitted one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset, Sunday through Saturday. Coots and waterfowl may not be hunted on Sunday.
- To hunt with birds of prey, a hunter must have a valid hunting license and a Falconry Permit.
- The Falconry Season for squirrels (red, grey and Eastern fox) is from September 1 to March 31.
- The Falconry Season for ruffed grouse is October 1 to March 31.
- The Falconry Season for ring-necked pheasant (either sex), bobwhite quail and cottontail rabbit is from November 1 to March 31.
- Hunters using birds of prey are required to follow the daily bag limits and possession limits set for those species being taken.
- Possession of birds of prey is closely regulated by federal and state law.
- While hunting game birds and mammals during the open season using birds of prey, a hunter is not required to wear fluorescent orange. However, hunters are encouraged to wear fluorescent orange whenever they are afield.
- A Maryland Migratory Game Bird Stamp and a Falconry Permit are required to hunt migratory game birds.
- For more information, contact Permits Coordinator, DNR Wildlife & Heritage Service, Tawes State Office Building E-1, 580 Taylor Ave., Annapolis, MD 21401, 410-260-8540.
Regulations in red are new this year.
Purple text indicates an important note.
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Maryland Department of Natural Resources allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Maryland Department of Natural Resources Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC & eRegulations.com, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Maryland Department of Natural Resources neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/eRegulations.com directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: www.jfgriffin.com