Sea Turtles & Marine Mammals
- Call 800-628-9944 to report all (live or dead) stranded sea turtles or marine mammals including manatees, dolphins, whales, porpoise and seals.
- Do not touch, harass, feed or handle live or dead marine animals. Marine mammals and sea turtles are protected by federal and state laws that specify fines of up to $50,000, imprisonment, and/or vessel confiscation.
- Record your location using latitude/longitude, a street address, and a detailed description of your location including landmarks.
- Estimate and record the length, size, color, noticeable body parts, and any movement of the animal.
- Take photos of the animal.
- If possible, after reporting a stranding, stand by until a staff person contacts you.
- If calling from outside Maryland, please use:
- Live animals: 410-373-0083 (National Aquarium Marine Mammal Rescue Program)
- Dead animals: 443-758-6607 (Department of Natural Resources Sea Turtle and Marine Mammal Project)
- For more information, visit aqua.org/care/national-aquarium-animal-rescue
Sea turtles in Maryland include:
Kemp’s Ridley, Loggerhead, Green and Leatherback