Licenses & Fees
Fishing licenses, stamps and registrations are valid for 365 days from the date of purchase, unless otherwise specified.
Resident Nontidal Sport Fishing License – $20.50
Resident 7-Day Nontidal Sport Fishing License – $7.50
Resident Trout Stamp – $5
Resident Chesapeake Bay and Coastal Sport Fishing License – $15
Resident 7-Day Chesapeake Bay and Coastal Sport Fishing License – $6
Resident Senior Consolidated Sport Fishing License – $5
(65 years or older. License includes tidal, nontidal, and trout stamp. It may be
purchased at any time in the calendar year in which you attain the age of 65)
Non-Resident Nontidal Sport Fishing License – $30.50*
Non-Resident 7-Day Nontidal Sport Fishing License – $7.50*
Non-Resident 3-Day Nontidal Sport Fishing License – $5*
*Or the same fee charged to visiting Maryland anglers by a non-resident’s home state, whichever is higher—dnr.maryland.gov/pages/service_fishing_license.aspx
Non-Resident Trout Stamp – $10
Non-Resident Chesapeake Bay and Coastal Sport Fishing License – $22.50
Non-Resident 7-Day Chesapeake Bay and Coastal Sport Fishing License – $12
Chesapeake Bay and Coastal Sport Boat License – $50
- Passengers onboard licensed boats do not need a license. However, they must have a free Maryland Saltwater Angler Registration (see below).
- An individual Chesapeake Bay and Coastal Sport Fishing License and a complimentary individual crabbing license are included for the person who purchases this license.
Maryland Saltwater Angler Registration – Free – Unless individually licensed, an annual registration is required for:
- Passengers on boats with Bay and Coastal Sport Boat Licenses.
- Anglers fishing in designated License Free Fishing Areas.
- Waterfront property owners and family fishing on private property.
- Anglers in possession of a Virginia saltwater recreational fishing license or on a Virginia-licensed boat.
The department may suspend an individual’s fishing license or privilege if that individual is convicted of, or pays a fine for, violating certain fishing rules. A full copy of suspendable fishing violations can be found in the Code of Maryland Regulations 08.02.13.05. To view this regulation, visit dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhome.html. Individuals who are suspended for violating fishing rules in Maryland may also be suspended in other states under the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.
Become a Charter Boat Guide
Have you ever been interested in a charter boat or fishing guide but not sure where to begin?
If you would like to become a guide or want to find out what to expect from your hired fishing guide go to dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/pages/bass/guides.aspx