Choose your state

AlabamaAlabama Hunting & Fishing

AlaskaAlaska Drivers ManualAlaska Motorcycle ManualAlaska Commercial DriversAlaska Waterfowl HuntingAlaska Hunting

ArizonaArizona HuntingArizona Waterfowl Hunting

ArkansasArkansas HuntingArkansas Waterfowl Hunting

CaliforniaCalifornia Big Game HuntingCalifornia Freshwater FishingCalifornia Fishing SupplementCalifornia Waterfowl & Upland Game & Public LandsCalifornia Saltwater FishingCalifornia Mammal Hunting

ColoradoColorado HuntingColorado Waterfowl Hunting

ConnecticutConnecticut FishingConnecticut Hunting

DelawareDelaware HuntingDelaware Fishing

FloridaFlorida HuntingFlorida Saltwater FishingFlorida Freshwater Fishing

GeorgiaGeorgia Alcohol & Drug Awareness ProgramGeorgia HuntingGeorgia Commercial DriversGeorgia Drivers ManualGeorgia Motorcycle Manual40-Hour Parent/Teen Driving GuideGeorgia Fishing

HawaiiHawaii Hunting

IdahoIdaho HuntingIdaho Deer HuntingIdaho Waterfowl Hunting

IllinoisIllinois HuntingIllinois Waterfowl Hunting

IndianaIndiana HuntingIndiana Fishing

IowaIowa HuntingIowa Waterfowl Hunting

KansasKansas HuntingKansas Waterfowl Hunting

KentuckyKentucky HuntingKentucky Waterfowl Hunting

LouisianaLouisiana Hunting

MaineMaine HuntingMaine FishingMaine ATV & Snowmobile

MarylandMaryland FishingMaryland Hunting

MassachusettsMassachusetts Saltwater FishingMassachusetts Hunting & Fishing

MichiganMichigan FishingMichigan HuntingMichigan Waterfowl Hunting

MinnesotaMinnesota HuntingMinnesota Waterfowl Hunting

MississippiMississippi Hunting & Fishing

MissouriMissouri HuntingMissouri Waterfowl Hunting

MontanaMontana HuntingMontana Deer HuntingMontana Waterfowl Hunting

NebraskaNebraska HuntingNebraska Deer HuntingNebraska Waterfowl Hunting

NevadaNevada FishingNevada Small Game HuntingNevada Big Game HuntingNevada Hunting Applications

New HampshireNew Hampshire Freshwater FishingNew Hampshire Saltwater FishingNew Hampshire HuntingNew Hampshire ATV & Snowmobile

New JerseyNew Jersey Saltwater FishingNew Jersey HuntingNew Jersey Freshwater Fishing

New MexicoNew Mexico HuntingNew Mexico Hunting Rules & Info – 2016-2017New Mexico Waterfowl Hunting

New YorkNew York HuntingNew York Fishing

North CarolinaNorth Carolina HuntingNorth Carolina Waterfowl Hunting

North DakotaNorth Dakota HuntingNorth Dakota Deer HuntingNorth Dakota Waterfowl Hunting

OhioOhio HuntingOhio Fishing

OklahomaOklahoma FishingOklahoma Hunting

OregonOregon Big Game HuntingOregon Game Bird HuntingOregon FishingOregon Big Game Hunting

PennsylvaniaPennsylvania HuntingPennsylvania Waterfowl Hunting

Rhode IslandRhode Island Saltwater Fishing Regulations GuideRhode Island HuntingRhode Island Freshwater Fishing

South CarolinaSouth Carolina Hunting & Fishing

South DakotaSouth Dakota HuntingSouth Dakota Waterfowl Hunting

TennesseeTennessee HuntingTennessee Waterfowl Hunting

TexasTexas HuntingTexas Waterfowl Hunting

UtahUtah HuntingUtah Deer HuntingUtah Waterfowl Hunting

VermontVermont HuntingVermont Fishing

VirginiaVirginia Migratory Game Bird HuntingVirginia HuntingVirginia Fishing

WashingtonWashington HuntingWashington Deer HuntingWashington Waterfowl Hunting

West VirginiaWest Virginia HuntingWest Virginia Waterfowl Hunting

WisconsinWisconsin HuntingWisconsin Deer HuntingWisconsin Waterfowl Hunting

WyomingWyoming HuntingWyoming Deer HuntingWyoming Waterfowl Hunting


Other Species Hunting

Hunting Regulations Icon Maine Hunting

Other Species Permits & Hunting Licenses

Pheasant Permit

A Pheasant Permit is required for hunters 16 years of age or older hunting on an adult license, in order to hunt or possess pheasant in Cumberland & York counties. Revenue derived from this permit is dedicated to the acquisition of pheasants which are raised and released by private fish and game clubs.

Coyote Night Hunting Permit

A Coyote Night Hunting Permit (which is valid from January 1 – December 31) is required to hunt coyote at night (1/2 hour after sunset until 1/2 hour before sunrise) from December 16 to August 31. Hunting under this permit is prohibited from 11:59 p.m. on Saturday until 12:01 a.m. on Monday. Hunters must be in possession of an electronic, hand-held or mouth-operated predator calling device. See Hunting with Dogs on page 23. The fee for this permit is $4*. Artificial lights may be used. In addition, the commissioner may appoint agents to hunt for coyotes at night using artificial illumination from September 1 to December 15. The commissioner shall develop policies to make the affected public and affected law enforcement officers aware of any night hunting operation.

*Plus agent fee.

Falconry License

A falconry license, in addition to a regular hunting license, is required of persons who engage in falconry. Copies of the regulations pertaining to this type of hunting are available upon request. To obtain a falconry license, contact the Department.


Crows are neither migratory waterfowl or migratory game birds. The use of lead shot and the use of a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells is permitted. A migratory waterfowl stamp is not required.

Migratory Game Birds

The Following Shall be Considered Migratory Gamebirds

Anatidae or waterfowl, including brant, wild ducks, and geese; Rallidae or rails, including coots, sora, and other rails; Wilson’s Snipe & American Woodcock.

Migratory Waterfowl Permit

The State Migratory Waterfowl Permit is required of anyone 16 years of age or older if they are hunting on an adult license, but is not required if continuing to hunt on a junior license for the remainder of the calender year. Anyone who turns 16, whether hunting on an adult license or a junior license, must purchase a Federal Stamp. See Migratory Game Birds for more information. A Migratory Waterfowl permit is not required to hunt woodcock, snipe, rails, or crow.

Attention Grouse Hunters

The Department is collaborating with the University of Maine on a research project to better understand the population dynamics of ruffed grouse. As part of this research we will be marking ruffed grouse using leg bands and radio collars in a number of areas throughout the state. If you shoot a banded grouse, please report your harvest using the contact information printed on the bird’s leg band.

2016-2017 Other Species Seasons and Bag Limits
Daily Bag Limit
Possession Limit
Pheasant* October 1, 2016 – December 31, 2016
Ruffed Grouse (Partridge) October 1, 2016 – December 31, 2016
Bobwhite Quail October 1, 2016 – December 31, 2016
Crow Wildlife Management Districts 1 – 6
August 1, 2016 – September 23, 2016
February 4, 2017 – April 15, 2017
No limit
Wildlife Management Districts 7 – 29
August 1, 2016 – September 23, 2016
January 20, 2017 – March 31, 2017
Gray Squirrel October 1, 2016 – December 31, 2016
Gray Squirrel (Falconry) October 1, 2016 – February 28, 2017
Snowshoe Hare October 1, 2016 – March 31, 2017
Snowshoe Hare (on Vinalhaven Island, Knox County) October 1, 2016 – February 28, 2017
Bobcat** December 1, 2016 – February 14, 2017
No limit
Fox** October 17, 2016 – February 28, 2017
No limit
Raccoon October 1, 2016 – December 31, 2016
No limit
Skunk & Opossum October 17, 2016 – December 31, 2016
No limit
Coyote** January 1 – December 31
No limit
Night hunting (see Coyote Night Hunting)
December 16, 2016 – August 31, 2017
Woodchuck, Red Squirrel & Porcupine No closed season for hunting
No limit
Cottontail Rabbit, Spruce Grouse, Lynx No open season

All dates are inclusive except that hunting is prohibited on Sunday.
See Laws Pertaining to Hunting Equipment for information on the use of crossbows.

* In York and Cumberland counties, a permit is required to hunt or possess pheasant. Permit is not required to hunt or possess pheasant throughout the remainder of the state.

** Species must be tagged within 10 days of the close of the season. Bobcat must be tagged within 72 hours of harvest.