License Information

Hunting Regulations Icon Maine Hunting

Who Needs a License?

In general, anyone who hunts wild birds or animals in Maine needs a hunting license. The type of license you need depends upon your age, resident status, and other factors, and there are some exceptions. In addition to a license, most hunting activities also require a permit. See individual species pages for details.

Junior and Adult Hunters: Hunters under age 16 must possess a junior license, and those 16 and up need an adult license. Note: a junior license holder who turns 16 may hunt with that junior license for the remainder of the calendar year.

Exception for Assisting in a Hunt: A person may assist in a hunt without a license or permit for that activity, as long as they do not carry hunting equipment (means to kill) or drive deer.

Landowner Privilege: Maine resident landowners and their immediate family members may hunt without a license using firearm, archery, crossbow, or muzzleloader (permits are required for other equipment types) on land they own and reside upon, provided the land exceeds 10 acres in size and is used exclusively for agricultural purposes. The landowner privilege is not available to hunters with revoked or suspended licenses, and does not apply to moose hunting, for which a license is still required.

What Are the Requirements for Obtaining a License?

To obtain a hunting license in Maine, you generally need to show that you have either (1) held that license in a prior year, or (2) taken a hunter safety course. License-specific requirements and exceptions follow.

How Are Licenses Obtained?

From MDIFW: Residents and nonresidents may obtain hunting licenses from the MDIFW office in Augusta, either in person, online at mainefishwildlife.com, or (for non-residents) by mail.

From Agents: Licenses can also be purchased from agents throughout the state (sporting good stores, many convenience stores, town clerks, and turnpike service centers). Agents who process applications online for moose and antlerless deer permits may charge a fee of $2.00. Note: Not all town clerks issue nonresident licenses.

All trapping licenses are issued by the MDIFW office in Augusta and cannot be purchased online.

It is unlawful to obtain a license or permit through misstatement or misrepresentation, or to possess a license or permit that has been altered or tampered with in any way.


Resident means a citizen of the United States or an alien who has been domiciled in the State for one year who:

  • if registered to vote, is registered in this State;
  • if licensed to drive a motor vehicle, has made application for or possesses a motor vehicle operator’s license issued by the State;
  • if owning a motor vehicle located within the State, has registered each such vehicle in the State;
  • is in compliance with the state income tax laws;
  • is a full-time student at a Maine college or university who satisfies above requirements.

Nonresident means a citizen of the United States who does not fall within the definition of Alien or Resident.

Alien means a person who is not a citizen of the United States.

Keep Your License With You

You are required to keep an electronic and/or paper copy of your hunting license and any necessary permits with you while hunting or transporting wild birds and wild animals and, if requested to do so, must present it for inspection to any warden, law enforcement officer, MDIFW employee, guide or landowner upon whose land you are hunting.

Special Licenses

Special Privilege Licenses

Military Currently Stationed in Maine: Anyone serving in the U.S. Armed Forces and permanently stationed at a military base in Maine (including spouse and dependent children if they permanently reside with that person) may purchase a resident license to hunt, trap, or fish.

Maine Resident Military Currently Stationed Anywhere: Residents who are on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and permanently stationed outside of Maine may purchase either a hunting, fishing, trapping, or combination hunting and fishing license for the Maine Resident Serviceman combination price upon verification that Maine is their home of record. Their spouse and any dependent children residing with them are also entitled to discounted rates.

Exchange Students: Any citizen of a foreign nation under age 21 who is living with a family in Maine for a cultural or educational exchange program may purchase a resident license to hunt or fish.

Complimentary Licenses

Disabled Veterans: Maine resident and nonresident veterans (if reciprocal privileges exist in their home state) who have been honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces or the National Guard and have a service-connected disability of 50% or more will be issued, upon application, a complimentary license to fish, trap, or hunt (including all necessary permits and other permissions, and upon meeting qualifications, a guide’s license) as well as one expanded archery either sex permit and one expanded archery antlerless deer permit. Veterans must still apply for any-deer & moose permits each year. These licenses may only be obtained from IF&W’s main office in Augusta.

Native Americans: The commissioner shall issue a complimentary lifetime hunting, archery, trapping and fishing license, including permits and other permissions needed to hunt, trap and fish, to a person, who is an enrolled member of the Passamaquoddy Tribe, the Penobscot Nation, the Houlton Band of Maliseet Indians, or the Aroostook Band of Micmacs, if the person presents certification from the respective reservation governor or the Aroostook Micmac Council stating that they are an enrolled member of that federally recognized nation, band or tribe.

Other Licenses

Available at the Augusta Office only. For detailed information on the following licenses, contact the Department at (207) 287-5232.

Hide Dealers License: See Prohibition Regarding Selling of Wild Animals.

Seasonal Hide Dealers License: Required for any place of business that butchers wild animals and commercially sells or barters the heads or untanned hides of deer or moose that they have butchered.

Taxidermist License: Allows a place of business to lawfully possess fish or wildlife for the sole purpose of preparing and mounting them and to also buy, sell or barter raw, untanned hides or heads of wild animals. This includes skull and bone mounts, commonly referred to as European mounts.

Guides License: Required for anyone who receives any form of remuneration for their services in accompanying or assisting others while hunting, fishing, trapping, boating, snowmobiling, ATVing, or camping at a primitive camping area.

Outdoor Safety Courses

Maine law requires all firearms, archery, crossbow, or trapping license applicants to complete an outdoor safety course, unless they have previously held an adult license. These 6 to 12-hour courses (depending on the subject) are sponsored by school districts, sports clubs, civic groups, and others, and are taught statewide by volunteer instructors certified by MDIFW.

Courses are scheduled based on instructor availability, with pre-registration typically required. To view course listings, see Safety/Edcuation Courses. For information on becoming a volunteer instructor, contact your local Regional Safety Coordinator or the Recreational Safety Division Office. Recreational Safety Division (207) 287-5220.

Firearms Licenses: When applying for an adult firearms hunting license in Maine, you must show proof of residency, and that you have either possessed an adult license to hunt with firearms in any prior year beginning with 1976, or successfully completed an approved hunter safety course in any U.S. state. Convicted felons cannot purchase or possess a firearms hunting license in Maine unless they have been issued a permit to carry a firearm.

Archery Licenses: To obtain an adult archery hunting license, you must show proof of having held an adult license to hunt with bow and arrow in any year after 1979, or successful completion of an archery education course.

Exceptions to Safety Course Requirements:

  • Native American Exception: Native Americans are exempt from the safety course requirement for archery, crossbow, and trapping.
  • Military Exception: An active-duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces who is permanently stationed outside of the U.S. and home on leave is exempt from hunter, archery, and crossbow safety course requirements if they can show proof at time of license application that their home state of record is Maine.

Apprenticeship Hunters License

An apprentice hunter license is available to a resident or nonresident 16 years or older who has never held a valid adult hunting license. A person may not obtain an apprentice hunter license more than five times. A person holding this license may not hunt other than in the presence of an adult supervisor at least 18 years of age who has held a valid hunting license for the prior three consecutive years. The supervisor is responsible for ensuring that the holder of an apprentice hunter license follows safe hunting protocol as well as all hunting laws.

Apprenticeship Licenses Fee
Resident Hunting (includes bear and turkey permits) $26.00
Resident Crossbow $26.00
Resident Archery $26.00
Nonresident Hunting $115.00
Nonresident Small Game $75.00
Nonresident Crossbow $56.00
Nonresident Archery $75.00

License Fees

License Fee
Maine Residents Hunting (16 and older) $26.00
Junior Hunting (0 to 15 years) $8.00
Small Game* Hunting (16 and older) $15.00
Combination Hunting & Fishing (16 and older) $43.00
Combination Archery & Fishing (16 and older) $43.00
Serviceman (resident) Combination Hunting & Fishing $3.00
Serviceman (dependent) Combination Hunting & Fishing $20.00
Serviceman (dependent) Hunting $10.00
Disabled War Veteran Free
Archery Hunting (16 and older) $26.00
Trapping (16 and older) $35.00
Junior Trapping (10 to 15 years) $9.00
Apprentice Hunter License (16 and older) See Apprentice Hunter Licenses
Superpack $201.00
Nonresidents Big Game Hunting (16 and older) $115.00
Combination Hunting & Fishing (16 and older) $150.00
Small Game* Hunting (16 and older) $75.00
3-Day Small Game* Hunting (valid for 3 consecutive days) $50.00
Junior Hunting (0 to 15 years) $35.00
Archery Hunting (16 and older) $75.00
6-Day Archery Hunting $26.00
Apprentice Hunter License (16 and older) See Apprentice Hunter Licenses
Alien Big Game Hunting (16 and older) $140.00
Combination Hunting & Fishing (16 and older) $191.00
Small Game* Hunting (16 and older) $80.00
Archery Hunting (16 and older) $85.00
6-Day Archery Hunting $26.00
Junior Hunting (0 to 15 years) $35.00
Other Bear Permits See Bear Hunting Permit
Coyote Night Hunting Permit $4.00
Crossbow Hunting Permit
(16 and older)**
Maine Resident $26.00
Nonresident $56.00
Alien $80.00
Deer, Moose, and Bear Registration $5.00
Duplicate License $2.00
Expanded Archery Permits
(See Expanded Archery Permit)
Antlerless Deer $12.00
Either-Sex Deer $32.00
Falconry Permit $26.00
Moose Permit See Moose Hunting
Muzzleloader Permit
(16 and older)**
Maine Resident $13.00
Nonresident $69.00
Alien $79.00
Pheasant Permit (Cumberland and York Counties) $17.00
State Migratory Waterfowl Permit (16 and older)**** $7.50
Outdoor Partners Program $15.00
Taxidermist, Hide Dealer, and Guide Licenses See Other Licenses
Wild Turkey Permits (Spring/Fall) $20.00 See Wild Turkey Hunting Permit
Fees listed do not include the agent fee.

The commissioner may revoke all licenses and permits to any person who fails to pay the fees due and may recover fes associated with insufficient funds.

* Small game license permits hunting of all legal species except deer, bear, moose, raccoon, and bobcat.

** A resident, nonresident, or alien under 16 years of age may hunt with a crossbow or muzzleloader if that person holds a valid junior hunting license.

*** In addition to the State Migratory Waterfowl Permit, a Federal Migratory Waterfowl Permit is required. Federal Migratory Waterfowl Permits can be purchase at your local post office.

Lifetime License Fees

A Maine Tradition and a Gift that Lasts a Lifetime: A lifetime license, purchased for yourself or as a gift, allows the bearer to fish, trap, and/or hunt for their lifetime, regardless of where they live in the future. Revenues generated by these licenses are deposited in a special trust fund that provides long term financial support for Maine’s fish and wildlife.

Applicants 70 Years of Age:

For a one-time fee of $8.00, a senior lifetime license entitles the holder to all privileges they are qualified to receive including hunting, trapping, archery, and fishing. The license also includes the following permits: bear hunt, bear trap, muzzleloader, migratory waterfowl, pheasant, spring and fall turkey, coyote night hunt, crossbow, one expanded archery antlerless and one expanded archery either sex. (Must still apply for any deer and moose permits each year).

Note: If you purchased a senior lifetime license before age 70, you do not have to pay the $8.00 fee, and the permits listed in the previous paragraph are included with your lifetime license anytime during the calendar year you turn 70 years of age.

A lifetime license holder who turns 16 years of age is able to hunt with their lifetime license as an adult big game license, they must show proof of having completed the required safety course, contact the Department to upgrade to an adult license, & obtain all necessary permits. For more information see Junior Hunters.

Residents Fishing Hunting Archery Trapping Combination
of any two*
Combination of any three*
5 years & under $150 $150 $150 $150 $250 $400
6 – 15 years $300 $300 $300 $300 $500 $800
65 years of age $50 $50 $50 $50 $80 $110
66 years of age $40 $40 $40 $40 $64 $94
67 years of age $30 $30 $30 $30 $48 $78
68 years of age $20 $20 $20 $20 $32 $52
69 years of age $10 $10 $10 $10 $16 $26
70 and older $8.00 — Covers all authorities that you are qualified to receive, see below.
Nonresidents Fishing Hunting Archery Trapping Combination
of any two*
Combination of any three*
5 years & under** $450 $450 $450 $450 $750 $1,200
6 – 15 years $900 $900 $900 $900 $1,500 $2,400
* hunting, fishing, archery
** These fees are subject to change, please check with the Department for current fees.

Superpack License

To be eligible for this license, the applicant must be a Maine resident. This license permits a person who has met the eligibility requirements for each license or permit to hunt and fish for all legal game and fish species subject to all of the laws covering these activities; fishing, hunting, and archery. The Superpack license includes muzzleloader, crossbow, migratory waterfowl, pheasant, spring/fall turkey, bear, coyote night hunt, and three expanded archery antlerless permits. The Superpack license also includes one free chance in the moose lottery and entry into a special category in the annual any-deer permit lottery.

License Revocation Information

The MDIFW Commissioner may, at his discretion, revoke the hunting privileges of anyone convicted of a hunting violation, or any violation of fish and wildlife laws. This is in addition to any penalties imposed by a court of law. Some violations result in mandatory revocation (summarized below):

Minimum Mandatory Lifetime Hunting License Revocation

Second offense of placing or hunting over bait for deer.

Minimum Mandatory Ten Year Revocation of Hunting Licenses

If a person is convicted of Assault While Hunting [17A MRSA §208(A)] and the offense occurred in the context of hunting activity, and if, through failure of the hunter to make proper target identification, the offense resulted in the injury or death of another person.

Minimum Mandatory Five Year Revocation of Hunting Licenses

  • Shooting a domestic animal while hunting.
  • Hunting under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs.
  • Conviction of violation of 17A MRSA while on a hunting or fishing trip or in the pursuit of wild animals, birds or fish and when the wounding or killing of a human being has occurred.

Minimum Mandatory Three Year Revocation of ALL MDIFW Licenses

  • Disturbing traps.

Minimum Mandatory Two Year Revocation of ALL MDIFW Licenses

  • Burglary or criminal trespass of a building located within any unorganized township.
  • Theft of any equipment used for hunting, fishing and trapping.
  • Theft of any animal which has been obtained by hunting or trapping and which was in the possession or control of the person who hunted or trapped the animal.

Hunting Violations with a Minimum One Year License Revocation

  • Illegally hunting and/or possessing deer, bear, or moose during closed season.
  • Night hunting.
  • Discharging a firearm within 100 yards of a building or residential dwelling without permission of the owner, or in the owner’s absence, an adult occupant who dwells in that location.
  • Illegally buying and/or selling deer, bear, moose or wild turkeys.
  • Illegally hunting/possessing wild turkeys including using illegal hunting methods.
  • Hunting deer, bear, moose, or wild turkey after having killed one and/or exceeding the bag limit.
  • First offense of placing or hunting over bait for deer.
  • Destroying or tearing down a property posting sign (loss of hunting and fishing license).
  • Hunting over another person’s bear bait without written permission from that person.

Littering on WMAs

In addition to penalties provided by Maine’s littering laws, a person convicted of littering on a state owned wildlife management area or sanctuary as defined in Title 12 shall surrender their hunting and/or fishing licenses for a period of up to one year.

Interstate Violations/Suspensions

Maine is a participating member of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact, an agreement that recognizes suspension of hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses across member states. This means that illegal activities in one state can affect a person’s hunting, fishing, or trapping privileges in all participating states as well. If a person plans to hunt, fish, or trap in another state, and they have a license suspension in Maine, it is their responsibility to contact the other state to see if they can legally hunt, fish, or trap in that state.