Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
Join the Griffin's Guide HUNTING newsletter

Get weekly news, tips and photos from the world of hunting.
[contact-form-7 id="35884" title="GG Email"]
No Thanks!
The 2014 New Jersey Freshwater Fishing Guide is now available!
To view the new guide, please download the pdf. Check back in the coming days as we work to put up the new 2014 website.

Below is content from the 2013 guide.

License Requirements

Brought to you by:

No resident of this state, 16 years of age or older, or nonresident, 12 years of age or older, may fish in inland waters or transport fish taken from inland waters without first obtaining a valid Maine fishing license. Maine residents* may obtain fishing license from any resident license agent. Nonresidents** may obtain fishing licenses in person or by mail from the IF&W Department Office in Augusta or from any of the numerous nonresident license agents throughout the state. Residents and nonresidents are also able to purchase licenses on our website:

A person is required to keep his/her fishing license with him/her at all times while fishing or transporting fish and must exhibit their license for inspection by any warden, department employee, guide or landowner upon request.

Possession of fishing tackle in the fields or forest or on the waters or ice of this State without a fishing license is prima facie evidence of fishing in violation of the law.

The commissioner may allow a licensee who has received a complimentary fishing license to have a person accompany and assist that licensee in fishing. The person accompanying and assisting the holder of a complimentary fishing license may do so without obtaining a separate fishing license. This subsection does not authorize the person accompanying and assisting the licensee to assist that licensee with more than one fishing rod and reel. The person accompanying and assisting the licensee must remain within the immediate proximity of the licensee while that licensee is fishing.


A free fishing license will be issued, upon application, to the following:

  1. Any Maine resident* who is blind;
  2. Any Maine Native American who is a member of the Passamaquoddy, Penobscot, Maliseet, or Micmac Tribe (must obtain licenses from their respective tribal headquarters);
  3. Any Maine, NH, or VT resident who is a war veteran and has a service-connected disability of 50%.;
  4. Any Maine resident (or nonresident, if reciprocal privileges exist in the home state of the nonresident) who is suffering from the loss, or loss of use, of both lower extremities;
  5. Any person with a developmental disability (as defined in Title 5, §19503);
  6. Any person with a head injury (as defined in Title 22, §3086).
  7. Any resident 16 or 17 years old who is in the custody of DHHS, who holds a valid license, and is in DHHS custody.

(These free licenses may be obtained at the Department Office in Augusta.)

Please note: All waters which have the S-9 restriction (previously known as “youth fishing only waters”, are now open for persons under 16 years of age or for persons holding a complimentary fishing license. All categories listed above are eligible in S-9 waters.

*Resident means a citizen of the United States who is domiciled in this State or an alien who has been so domiciled for one year. You will not be considered a resident unless:

  • if registered to vote, registered in Maine;
  • if licensed to drive a motor vehicle, applied for a Maine motor vehicle license;
  • if owning a motor vehicle(s) located within the State, registered each vehicle in Maine;
  • complied with the State income tax laws; and
  • if a full-time student at a Maine college or university, resides in Maine AND satisfies above requirements.

**Nonresident means a person who does not fall within the definition of resident.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Brought to you by:
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
JF Griffin Media
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: