Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

2014-15 Licensing Information


Resident means a citizen of the United States or an alien who has been domiciled in the State for one year who:

  • if registered to vote, is registered in this State;
  • if licensed to drive a motor vehicle, has made application for or possesses a motor vehicle operator’s license issued by the State;
  • if owning a motor vehicle located within the State, has registered each such vehicle in the State; and
  • is in compliance with the state income tax laws.

A full-time student at a Maine college or university who satisfies above requirements.

Nonresident means a citizen of the United States who does not fall within the definition of Alien OR Resident.

ALIEN means a person who is not a citizen of the United States.

Who Needs a License?

Anyone 10 years of age and over must obtain a license to hunt wild birds or wild animals. Maine resident landowners, including immediate family members over 10 years of age, as long as their license to hunt has not been revoked or suspended, may hunt without a license, including archery, crossbow (see below) and muzzleloader (but must purchase all other permits) on land they own and reside provided the land exceeds 10 acres in size and is used exclusively for agricultural purposes. This does not apply to moose hunting. A license is required

  • Children under 10 years of age are not allowed to hunt.
  • Hunters 10 years of age to 15 years of age must possess a junior license.
  • Hunters 16 years of age and over must possess an adult license to hunt. (NOTE: A Junior License holder who turns 16 may hunt with that Junior License for the remainder of the year except on youth hunting days. See Junior Hunters for more information.)
  • A person may assist in a hunt without a license or permit for that activity as long as that person does not carry hunting equipment (means to kill) or engage in driving deer. .

What Are the Requirements for Obtaining a License?

Applicants for an adult hunting license must show proof of having previously held an adult license to hunt with firearms in any year beginning with 1976 or successful completion of an approved hunter safety course from this or any other state. Residents must provide proof of residency when applying for a license.

Convicted felons who have not been issued a permit to carry a firearm cannot purchase or possess a firearms hunting license in Maine (Title 15, sub-§393, sub-§§ 1 & 2).

To obtain an adult archery hunting license, you must show proof of having held an adult license to hunt with bow and arrow in any year after 1979 or successful completion of an archery education course.

Native Americans are exempt from safety course requirements for archery, crossbow and trapping.

A member of the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty who is permanently stationed outside of the United States and home on leave is exempt from hunter, archery, and crossbow safety course requirements if that member shows proof at time of application for the license that the member’s home state of record is Maine.

How Are Licenses Obtained?

Residents and Nonresidents may obtain hunting licenses from agents throughout the state (sporting good stores, many convenience stores, town clerks, and turnpike service centers) or from the Department office in Augusta. Nonresidents may also obtain them by mail from the Department office in Augusta.

(Note: Not all town clerks issue nonresident licenses.)

Licenses may also be purchased online at Agents are authorized to process applications online for moose and antlerless deer permits; they may charge a fee of $2.00.

It is unlawful to obtain any license or permit through misstatement or misrepresentation or to possess any license or permit which has been altered, mutilated or tampered with in any manner.

Other Hunting License Provisions

  • You are required to keep your hunting license and any necessary permits with you while hunting or transporting wild birds and wild animals and, if requested to do so, must present it for inspection to any warden, law enforcement officer, Department employee, guide or landowner upon whose land you are hunting.
  • Any license issued by the Department must be signed prior to use.

Please Note: The commissioner may revoke the license of any person convicted of violating the fish and wildlife laws, in addition to any penalty which may be imposed by a court of law. Some violations result in mandatory revocation. See License Revocation Information for a list of violations.

Are There Any Other Permits Required?

There are certain permits required (in addition to the regular hunting license). See individual species pages for this permit information.

Special Licenses

Special Privilege Licenses

  • Anyone serving in the U.S. Armed Forces and permanently stationed at a military base in Maine (includes spouse and dependent children if they permanently reside with that person) may purchase a resident license to hunt, trap, or fish.
  • Maine military personnel who are on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and permanently stationed outside Maine may purchase either a hunting, fishing, trapping or combination hunting and fishing license for $3.00*. Spouse and dependent children who reside with that person may obtain a combination license for $20.00*, or a hunting, fishing or trapping license for $10.00* upon proof that their home of record, as recorded in a service record, is Maine. *Plus agent fee.
  • Any citizen of a foreign nation, under 21 years of age, who is living with a family in Maine in connection with any cultural or educational exchange program may purchase a resident license to hunt or fish.

Complimentary Licenses

  • Veterans who are residents of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont who have a service-connected disability of 50% or more will be issued, upon application, a complimentary license to fish, trap, or hunt (including all necessary permits and other permissions and upon meeting qualifications, a guides license). Must still apply for any-deer & moose permits each year when applications become available. These licenses may only be obtained from IF&W’s main office in Augusta.
  • Maine residents and nonresidents (if reciprocal privileges exist in their home state) who are suffering from the loss of, or loss of use of, both lower extremities, will be issued, upon application, a complimentary license to hunt or fish as well as an antlerless deer permit. These licenses may only be obtained from IF&W’s main office in Augusta.
  • The commissioner shall issue a hunting, archery, trapping and fishing license, including permits and other permissions needed to hunt, trap and fish, to a person, 10 years of age or older, who is an enrolled member of the Passamaquoddy Tribe, the Penobscot Nation, the Houlton Band of Maliseet Indians or the Aroostook Band of Micmacs that is valid for the life of that person without any charge or fee if the person presents certification from the respective reservation governor or the Aroostook Micmac Council stating that the person described is an enrolled member of a federally recognized nation, band or tribe listed in this subsection.
    NOTE: Holders of disabled veteran licenses & Native American licenses are subject to rules governing a lottery or drawing system for issuing a particular permit.

Other Licenses

(Available at the Augusta Office only.) For detailed information on the following licenses, contact the Department at (207) 287-3614.

  • Hide Dealers License: See prohibition regarding selling of wild birds section under General Hunting Provisions.
  • Seasonal Hide Dealers License: Required for any place of business that butchers wild animals and commercially sells or barters the heads or untanned hides of deer or moose that they have butchered.
  • Taxidermist License: Allows a place of business to lawfully possess fish or wildlife for the sole purpose of preparing and mounting them and to also buy, sell or barter raw, untanned hides or heads of wild animals. This includes skull and bone mounts, commonly referred to as European mounts.
  • Guides License: Required for anyone who receives any form of remuneration for their services in accompanying or assisting others while hunting, fishing, trapping, boating, snowmobiling, ATVing, or camping at a primitive camping area.

Apprentice Hunters License

An apprentice hunting license is available to a resident or nonresident 16 years of age or older who has never held a valid adult hunting license. A person may not obtain an apprentice hunting license more than twice. A person holding this license may not hunt other than in the presence of an adult supervisor at least 18 years of age who has held a valid Maine hunting license for the prior 3 consecutive years. The supervisor is responsible for ensuring that the holder of an apprentice license follows safe hunting protocol as well as all hunting laws. For more information contact IF&W at (207) 287-8000.

Apprentice Licenses

Resident Hunting (includes bear and turkey permits) $25

Resident Crossbow $25

Resident Archery $25

Nonresident Hunting $114

Nonresident Small Game $74

Nonresident Crossbow $55

Nonresident Archery $74

Harassment of Hunters & Trappers

It is illegal for any person to willfully interfere with the lawful hunting and trapping of any wild animal or wild bird, including the willful disturbance of wild animals or wild birds with intent to interfere with their lawful taking. (Note: This law does not limit the ownership, use, access, or control of property rights otherwise provided by law.)

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: