Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Registration and Age requirements

Brought to you by:

All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV)

Registration Fees




(Prior to registration, sales or use taxes are due.)

Season – $68*

7-Day – $53*


Age Requirements***

A person under 10 years of age may not operate an ATV.

A person 10 years of age or older but under 16 years of age may not operate an ATV unless that person has successfully completed a training course approved by the department and is accompanied by an adult.

A person under 16 years of age may not cross a public way maintained for travel unless the crossing is in accordance with section 13157-A, subsection 6, paragraph A and the person satisfies the requirements of 13154-A, subsection 3.



Registration Fees




(The registration for a snowmobile owned by a resident is valid for one year, commencing on July 1st of each year. Prior to registration, sales or use taxes are due.)

Season – $88*

3-Day – $43*

(A person may purchase more than one 3-day registration in any season.)


Age Requirements***

Children must be 10 years of age or older to operate a snowmobile, unaccompanied by an adult, on land other than that owned by their parent or guardian and must be 14 years of age before crossing public ways. Anyone who allows a person under 18 years of age to operate a snowmobile is liable (jointly with the minor’s parent or guardian) for any damages caused during operation.


* Plus Agent Fee

** “Resident” means a citizen of the United States or an alien who has been domiciled in the State for one year who:

a) if registered to vote, is registered in Maine;

b) if licensed to drive a motor vehicle, applied for, or possesses a Maine motor vehicle license;

c) if owning a motor vehicle located within the State, registered each vehicle in Maine; and…

d) is in compliance with the State income tax laws

A person who is a full-time student at a college or university in Maine and has satisfied the requirements or A through D, above, can be considered a resident.

*** This does not apply to the operation of an ATV on:

a) The land on which the operator is domiciled;
b) Land owned or leased by the operator’s parent or guardian; or
c) A safety training site approved by the department.


Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: