Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
Join the Griffin's Guide HUNTING newsletter

Get weekly news, tips and photos from the world of hunting.
[contact-form-7 id="35884" title="GG Email"]
No Thanks!

Outdoor Safety Courses

Brought to you by:

Do you need to take an outdoor safety course to obtain your license for firearms, archery, crossbow, or trapping?

Maine law requires completion to obtain your adult license unless you have previously done so or have held an adult license.

These courses are made available in your area by volunteer instructors certified by the Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife. Pre-registration is requested and/or required. Courses will include 6 to 12 hours of instruction dependent on the subject. Sponsors include school districts, sports clubs, civic groups, and others. Courses will be scheduled based on instructor availability.

For information on becoming a Volunteer Instructor, contact your local Regional Safety Coordinator or the Recreational Safety Division Office at (207) 287-5220.

For course listings visit our web site at

Recreational Safety Division

  • Mailing Address: 284 State Street, Station 41, Augusta Maine 04333
  • Office Address: 8 Federal Street, Augusta Maine 04330
  • Michael Sawyer, Recreational Safety & Vehicle Coordinator (207) 287-5222, (207) 557-0553 (cell)
  • Brenda Chaplin, Secretary, (207) 287-5220



Perry Edwards

(207) 583-4322


Androscoggin (Assist)

Michael Feeney

(207) 446-8822 (cell)


Clinton Gaskill, Jr.

(207) 290-7144 (cell)



Northern Somerset

Craig Gerry

(207) 655-7681



Harland Hitchings

(207) 214-8914 (cell)



Vic MacCallum

(207) 975-4447 (cell)



Hancock (Assist)

Bruce Martin

(207) 284-4692


Cumberland (Assist)


N. Aroostook

Reginald Read

(207) 442-8421



Rick Rogers Jr.

(207) 639-5421



Richard Tidd

(207) 538-6638 (cell)


N. Penobscot


Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Brought to you by:
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
JF Griffin Media
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: