No resident of this state, 16 years of age or older, or nonresident, 12 years of age or older, may fish in inland waters or transport fish taken from inland waters without first obtaining a valid Maine fishing license. Maine Residents* may obtain fishing licenses from any resident license agent. Non-Residents** may obtain fishing licenses — in person or by mail from the
IF&W Department Office in Augusta or from any of the numerous nonresident license agents throughout the State. Residents AND Nonresidents are also able to purchase licenses
on our website: mefishwildlife.com
Unless otherwise specifically provided, all fishing licenses expire on December 31 of the calendar year for which they were issued.
FREE FISHING LICENSE PROVISIONS:
A free fishing license will be issued, upon application, to the following:
- Any Maine resident* who is blind;
- Any Maine Indian who is a member of the Passamaquoddy, Penobscot, Maliseet ,or Micmac Tribe (must obtain licenses from their respective tribal headquarters);
- Any Maine resident who is a war veteran, has a service connected disability of 100% or has served in a combat zone and has a service connected disability of 70% or more;
- Any Maine resident (or nonresident, if reciprocal privileges exist in the home state of the nonresident) who is suffering from the loss, or loss of use, of both lower extremities;
- Any mentally handicapped person (as defined in Title 34-B, §5001, sub-§3);
- Any person with a head injury (as defined in Title 22, §3086).
(These free licenses may be obtained at the Department Office in Augusta.)
*Resident means a citizen of the United States who is domiciled in this State or an alien who has been so domiciled for one year. You will not be considered a resident unless:
- if registered to vote, registered in Maine;
- if licensed to drive a motor vehicle, applied for a Maine motor vehicle license;
- if owning a motor vehicle(s) located within the State, registered each vehicle in Maine;
- complied with the State income tax laws; and
- if a full-time student at a Maine college or university, resides in Maine AND satisfies above requirements.
**Non-Resident means a person who does not fall within the definition of resident.