Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
Join the Griffin's Guide HUNTING newsletter

Get weekly news, tips and photos from the world of hunting.
[contact-form-7 id="35884" title="GG Email"]
No Thanks!
The 2014 New Jersey Freshwater Fishing Guide is now available!
To view the new guide, please download the pdf. Check back in the coming days as we work to put up the new 2014 website.

Below is content from the 2013 guide.

General License Regulations

Brought to you by:
  • With a few exceptions (see License Exemptions below), a valid hunting license issued by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources and applicable state or federal stamp privileges are required to hunt any wild animal on public or private land in Indiana.
  • To qualify for resident hunting licenses, a person must have established a true fixed and permanent home and primary residence in Indiana for 60 consecutive days prior to purchasing a license or permit and not claim residency for hunting, trapping or fishing in another state or country. All others are nonresidents.
  • A hunting license (and applicable stamp privileges and federal stamps or permits and HIP number) must have an original signature and be carried with you while hunting and produced on the request of an Indiana Conservation Officer or other authorized law enforcement officer.
  • Anyone born after Dec. 31, 1986 must successfully complete a DNR-offered hunter education class to purchase an Indiana hunting license (see below for Apprentice License exceptions).
  • Lost licenses can be reprinted for $3. Go to
  • Game bird or waterfowl stamp privileges must have an original signature, in ink, on the license. A traditional stamp is not required in addition to the purchase of this stamp privilege. Traditional game bird or waterfowl stamps are available for purchase as a commemorative issue. Commemorative stamps, which do not convey hunting privileges, are available through the DNR Customer Service Center.
  • DNR-issued licenses may be revoked at the discretion of a court upon conviction of fish and wildlife law violations, or at the discretion of the Department for non-compliance with conditions under which licenses are issued.
  • Licenses are non-transferable and non-refundable.

How to Purchase a Hunting or Trapping License

1. Online …

Go to

2. In Person …

Visit one of the over 800 retailers statewide at IndianaOutdoor.IN.govor visit the DNR Customer Service Center. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

3. By Mail …

Send a check or money order (payable to DNR) or Visa or MasterCard (include number, expiration date) to:


DNR Customer Service Center

402 W. Washington St., W160

Indianapolis, IN, 46204

Allow 2-3 weeks for delivery. Include the following information:

  • Specify the license(s) and season (e.g., deer muzzleloader)
  • Name, date of birth, Indiana Driver’s License number and Social Security number (required by IC 14-22-11-3)
  • Hunter education certificate number if born after Dec. 31, 1986
  • Complete address, city, state, Zip code and phone number
  • Height, weight, color of hair and color of eyes

4. By Phone …

Call (317) 232-4200

License Exemptions

The following are exempt from license requirements:

  • Residents or nonresidents participating in a DNR-licensed field trial.
  • Resident owners of Indiana farmland or lessees of Indiana farmland who farm that land, their spouses and children living with them, while hunting, fishing or trapping on the farmland they own or lease. This exemption does not apply to land owned by a business, corporation or partnership unless the shareholders, partners, members or owners are comprised solely of the members of an immediate family and farm that land. Farmland means agricultural land that is devoted or best adaptable to the production of crops, fruits, timber or the raising of livestock, or is assessed as agricultural land for property tax purposes.
  • Residents of Indiana engaged in full-time military service and who are carrying their leave orders and a valid Indiana driver’s license or Indiana voter registration card.
  • Youth participating in free youth hunting weekends.

The following nonresidents can hunt with a resident license:

  • A nonresident younger than 18 years old may hunt, trap or fish with a resident license if a parent, grandparent or legal guardian is an Indiana resident.
  • Nonresident military personnel on active duty and stationed in Indiana may hunt or fish with a resident license.

Nonresident owners of Indiana farmland (and their spouse and children who reside with the nonresident) may hunt, fish or trap on the farmland the nonresident owns without a license only if the following conditions are met:

  1. The nonresident’s state allows the same exemption for the same species for Indiana residents who own farmland in that state*;
  2. While hunting, fishing, or trapping on the farmland, the nonresident must keep proof of ownership (for example, a tax receipt identifying the nonresident as owner) in a place where the proof is readily accessible by the nonresident.

* For example, if a nonresident is from state X that only allows Indiana residents who own land in that state an exemption to hunt small game on land they own without a license, then the same exemption would apply in Indiana for a nonresident who owns Indiana farmland and is hunting small game on that farmland. If state X does not include other species (e.g., deer, turkey) in the exemption, then the nonresident must have and carry a valid nonresident license and any applicable stamp privileges to hunt those species in Indiana.

This exemption does not apply to land owned by a business, corporation or partnership unless the shareholders, partners, members or owners are comprised solely of the members of an immediate family and farm that land.

Nonresidents who lease land in Indiana are not exempt and must purchase nonresident licenses.

Hunter Education

Anyone born after Dec. 31, 1986 must successfully complete a DNR-offered hunter education class to purchase a hunting license. See apprentice license exception below. Hunters certified in another state or Canada can also present a card or certificate and purchase an Indiana hunting license.

The DNR offers hunter education courses in counties throughout the state. The pro-gram takes approximately 10 hours to complete. For information on classes in your area, see or contact the nearest hunter education office:

  • Hunter Education North, (317) 605-1028; email
  • Hunter Education South, P.O. Box 917,
    Jasper, IN 47547, (812) 482-3093;

Youth Licenses

The resident youth hunt/trap license, for individuals 17 or younger, includes annual hunting, annual trapping, deer, turkey, Indiana gamebird habitat stamp, Indiana waterfowl migratory stamp and trout/salmon stamp privileges.

Nonresident youths 17 or younger may purchase the appropriate nonresident youth license: annual hunting, deer, turkey, or trapping. However, a nonresident 17 or younger who has a parent, grandparent or legal guardian who is an Indiana resident, may purchase a resident youth hunt/trap license to hunt or trap in Indiana.

A free Harvest Information Program (HIP) number is required to hunt migratory birds, except during the free youth hunting days. See Waterfowl/Migratory Birds for HIP registration information.

The youth licenses do not include the Federal migratory bird stamp that is required for hunters age 16 and older.

All youth hunting licenses are valid for the designated license year, even if the individual turns 18 during that year, but the license must be purchased before the youth turns 18.

Apprentice Licenses

A resident or nonresident can buy an apprentice hunting license without having to take a hunter education class. An individual can purchase up to three apprentice hunting licenses, of any combination, in his/her lifetime before needing to take a DNR-offered hunter education class.

While hunting, the apprentice hunter at all times must be in close proximity to and able to communicate with a hunter who is at least 18 years old and has a valid hunting license (unless exempt from needing a hunting license). The individual who accompanies the apprentice hunter cannot accompany more than two apprentice hunters at one time while afield.

The apprentice resident youth hunt/trap license includes the same licenses and stamps as the regular resident youth hunt/trap license; it only exempts the license holder from needing to take a hunter education class.

Landowners or lessees of farmland and their children living with them who meet the requirements for license exemptions listed here also are exempt from needing an apprentice hunting license.

Youth Free Hunting Days

Youth free hunting days for 2013 are Sept. 7-8 and Nov. 30 – Dec. 1. Any resident age 17 or younger on the date of the hunt, and accompanied by an adult of at least 18 years of age, can take any legal game in season during these youth free hunting days. The youth hunter does not have to possess a hunting license, HIP number or any state stamp but must comply with all other hunting regulations. To hunt waterfowl, a Federal duck stamp is required for all persons 16 years or older.

The accompanying adult must be in close enough proximity to monitor and be able to communicate with the youth hunter at all times and may assist the youth hunter, including calling, but may not carry a firearm, crossbow, or bow and arrow. The accompanying adult must possess a valid hunting license, unless exempted from needing a license.

Nonresident Private Shooting Preserve

Nonresidents must purchase a nonresident shooting preserve license and any applicable stamp privilege requirements for species they are hunting at a private shooting preserve. The nonresident private shooting preserve license expires April 30, immediately following the date the license is effective. The nonresident shooting preserve license is $17 and the nonresident youth shooting preserve license is $7.

Persons with Disabilities

Individuals with a disability that prevents them from taking wildlife under regular hunting regulations may request a special permit from the DNR. A special permit may be issued to an individual with a physical impairment resulting from injury or disease, excluding impairment due to normal aging.

Special permits allow those who cannot walk or have serious walking limitations to hunt from a vehicle or gain special vehicle access. On state and federal lands, permit holders must obtain permission in advance from a property manager to gain vehicle access to lands or roads that are otherwise closed to vehicular traffic.

Those who have a disability that prevents them from using a regular bow may be issued a permit to use a draw-loc.

For rules or application forms, contact the Division of Fish and Wildlife, 402 W. Washington St., W273, Indianapolis, IN 46204; (317) 232-4102 or at

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Brought to you by:
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Indiana Department of Natural Resources allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Indiana Department of Natural Resources Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Indiana Department of Natural Resources neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
JF Griffin Media
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: