Indiana Freshwater Fishing
Indiana anglers have two options when it comes to trout fishing — inland waters and Lake Michigan.
The following information covers regulations for inland trout fishing. Lake Michigan trout and salmon regulations are on Lake Michigan Regulations.
Lakes: No closed season for taking trout from inland lakes except March 15 to April 1 at Greene-Sullivan State Forest.
Streams: The opening day of trout season for inland streams, other than Lake Michigan tributaries, is the last Saturday in April and runs through Dec. 31.
The starting time is 6 a.m. local time.
Catch-and-release applies to all trout streams from Jan. 1 through April 14. See Lake Michigan Regulations for special tributary restrictions and closure information for Lake Michigan streams.
A closed season for selected trout streams (see below) runs from April 15 to the last Saturday in April (opening day) while DNR staff complete the annual trout stockings.
- Pigeon River and Pigeon Creek in LaGrange County from the Steuben County line to CR 410 E (Troxel’s Bridge). This does not include the impoundment known as Mongo Mill Pond
- Harding Run, Curtis Creek, Bloody Run, and Graveyard Run (tributaries of Pigeon River) in LaGrange County
- Turkey Creek north of CR 100 S in LaGrange County
- Rainbow Pit located on Pigeon River Fish & Wildlife Area, approximately one mile east of Ontario in LaGrange County
- Little Elkhart River and Rowe-Eden Ditch in LaGrange County
- Solomon Creek and Cobus Creek in Elkhart County
- Little Kankakee River in LaPorte County from CR 800 E upstream to Division Road
- Spy Run Creek within Franke Park in Allen County
- Mississinewa River within the boundaries of the Randolph County Wildlife Management Area
- Big Blue River within the boundaries of Wilbur Wright Fish & Wildlife Area in Henry County
Three streams in Elkhart County (totaling 2.8 miles) are designated as year-round “catch-and-release only” and “artificial lures or flies only” trout fishing areas. Only artificial lures and artificial flies can be used in the following catch-and-release waters in Elkhart County:
- Little Elkhart River from CR 43 downstream to CR 16, except for waters along Riverbend Park from CR 16 upstream to the pedestrian footbridge
- Solomon Creek from CR 33 downstream to the Elkhart River
- Cobus Creek from Old U.S. 20 downstream to the St. Joseph River
Brown Trout Minimum Size Limit Waters: An 18-inch minimum size limit exists at Oliver, Olin, and Martin lakes in LaGrange County, and the Brookville Lake tailwater in Franklin County.
Inland Trout sizes and limits
Daily Bag Limit
5 singly or in aggregate for all trout.
No more than 1 may be brown trout.
*18″ minimum size limit for brown trout at Oliver, Olin and Martin lakes in LaGrange Co., and Brookville Lake tailwater in Franklin Co.