Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
Join the Griffin's Guide HUNTING newsletter

Get weekly news, tips and photos from the world of hunting.
[contact-form-7 id="35884" title="GG Email"]
No Thanks!

License Information

Brought to you by:

Welcome to the 2013 Indiana Fishing Guide and the fishing opportunities that await you on Hoosier waterways.

The following pages provide you with the basic information about license requirements, bag and size limits and other rules you need to know before heading to your favorite lake, river or stream.

It is a summary of Indiana regulations designed as a service to anglers and is not intended to be a complete digest of all fishing regulations. Some rules may change after printing of this booklet, so be sure to check the DNR website ( for updates.

Who Needs a Fishing License

To fish in public lakes, streams, rivers or tributaries in the state of Indiana or its boundary waters, you must have a valid fishing license or qualify for a license exemption. License holders must carry their license while fishing and present it to an Indiana Conservation Officer (or any authorized law enforcement official) upon request. There are fines and penalties for fishing without a license.

You also must have a valid trout and salmon stamp in your possession to legally fish for or take trout and salmon from public waters.

These regulations only apply to fish that originate from, or are taken from, the public waters of Indiana. Fish from public waters that migrate into or from private waters are still covered by these regulations. These regulations do not apply to fish in private waters that did not originate from public waters.

A fishing license may be revoked if the license holder is convicted of violating fish and wildlife regulations. Any equipment, appliances and apparatus used in the violation of Indiana fish and wildlife laws may be seized for evidence and, upon conviction, confiscated.

A resident is a person who has lived in Indiana continuously for a period of 60 days preceding the date of license or permit purchase. All others are non-residents.

Trout/salmon stamp privileges purchased through the Indiana Outdoor website must have an original signature, in ink, on the license on which the stamp privilege is listed. You do not need a traditional stamp in addition to the purchase of this stamp privilege.

Trout/salmon stamps will still be available for purchase separately as a commemorative issue. Commemorative stamps do not convey hunting or fishing privileges and are available through the DNR Customer Service Center in the Indiana Government Center South, 402 W. Washington St., Room W160, Indianapolis, IN 46204.

License Exemptions

A fishing license and trout and salmon stamp are NOT required for:

  • Indiana residents born before April 1, 1943. However, such residents should carry their driver’s license or other identification to verify age and residency.
  • Resident and non-resident anglers under age 18.
  • Residents who are legally blind.
  • Residents of a state-owned mental rehabilitation facility.
  • Residents of any licensed health care facility in Indiana taking part in a supervised fishing activity sponsored by the facility.
  • Fishing in a private pond. However, an angler must have permission from the property owner to fish.
  • Residents of Indiana who are engaged in full-time military service may fish without a license while on approved military leave. However, the angler must carry leave orders and a valid Indiana driver’s license or voter registration card.
  • Landowners or lessees of farmland, who farm that land, their spouses and children living with them, while fishing in public waters from the farmland they own or lease.
  • Some non-resident landowners, while fishing in public waters from the farmland they own, according to the exemptions that their state provides to Indiana residents. See or call (317) 234-5191 for specific information.

(NOTE: Non-resident military personnel on active duty and stationed in Indiana may purchase an Indiana resident license.)

Buying a License

Online …

To purchase resident and non-resident licenses online—24 hours a day, seven days a week—go to:

In Person …

Bait shops, retailers and DNR offices across the state have computer stations to sell Indiana resident and non-resident fishing, hunting and trapping licenses and stamp privileges. For a list of these retailers and more information about the system, go to

Licenses are also available at the DNR Customer Service Center located in the Indiana Government Center South, Room W160, 402 W. Washington St., Indianapolis. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday–Friday.

By Phone …

To purchase licenses by phone, or for more information, call the Indiana DNR Customer Service Center at (317) 232-4200. Please allow two weeks for delivery. All licenses issued by the DNR are non-transferable and non-refundable.

By Mail …

Send your order with the following information:

  • Name, date of birth
  • Complete address, city, state, ZIP, phone number
  • Height, weight, sex, color of hair and color of eyes
  • Social Security or Indiana driver’s license number is mandatory
  • Specify the licenses that you need and dates for one-day or multi-day licenses

Send check, money order or credit card number (Visa or MasterCard only) for licenses, made payable to Indiana DNR to:


DNR Customer Service Center

402 W. Washington St., Rm. W160

Indianapolis, IN, 46204

Indiana disabled American veterans can get a DAV fishing and hunting license application form from the County Service Officer or download the application form at Mail the form with a stamped self-addressed envelope to the DNR Customer Service Center.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Brought to you by:
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Indiana Department of Natural Resources allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Indiana Department of Natural Resources Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Indiana Department of Natural Resources neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
JF Griffin Media
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: