Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation


Brought to you by:

The Wildlife Management Area (WMA) system offers diverse hunting opportunities on approximately one million acres. Each WMA offers unique hunting opportunities based upon factors such as climate, topography, access, wildlife population dynamics and public desires. Therefore each WMA has specific rules and regulations. You should always be familiar with the rules and regulations for a WMA before visiting.

Q: Where can I find maps of WMAs?

A: Wildlife Resources Division offers WMA maps (line, topographic, and aerial). You view/print/download all WMA maps free of charge at:

Maps may also be found at check stations, kiosks, and region offices.

Q: What is the difference between a CHECK-IN and a SIGN-IN hunt on a WMA?

A: CHECK-IN Hunt: Hunters must check-in prior to hunting. Check-in permits are available starting at noon one day prior to the hunt, and anytime during the hunt. Complete the CHECK-IN permit; deposit the bottom copy in the permit box at the check station; keep the top copy in your possession throughout the hunt. You must have a completed permit in your possession PRIOR to hunting. Check-In is required once for each check-in period.

SIGN-IN Hunt: Hunter must sign-in prior to hunting. Sign-In is required only once per hunt.

CHECK-IN or SIGN-IN is required prior to hunting during any managed firearms deer, bear, turkey or hog hunt on a WMA (except as otherwise specified). It may also be required on some special hunts for other game species. Refer to the specific WMA listing to determine whether a hunt is designated as CHECK-IN or SIGN-IN. Check-In/Sign-In is available beginning at noon one day prior to hunt at check station/kiosk. Sign-In online is available for non-quota sign-in hunts at

SIGN-IN and CHECK-IN hunts have different requirements for handling harvested game. See below for details.


All bears must be reported and tagged. See Bear for specific requirements by Bear Zone.

Q: What weapons may be used to hunt feral hog on a WMA?

A: Feral hogs are not a game species and are considered incidental take during any hunt on a WMA (except during Special Hog Hunts). This means that you must use the legal weapons for the specific game species for which the WMA is open. So, if a WMA is open for small game then you may only use legal weapons for small game if you intend to hunt for feral hogs. Muzzleloaders and archery equipment are legal during small game and turkey seasons. However, during Special Hog Hunts only, you may use any legal firearm.

Electronic calls may be used for feral hog. Night hunting and baiting are prohibited on WMAs.

Q: Why are some gates closed on WMAs?

A: There are a number of reasons why roads may be closed to motor

vehicles. These include:

  • weather conditions may dictate closure for public safety or to minimize damage and erosion
  • road maintenance or repair
  • enhance quality of hunting experience
  • to increase huntable acres
  • protect sensitive and/or critical habitats and species
  • law enforcement tool for crime deterrence
  • during nesting or other natural wildlife cycles to minimize disturbance

Some roads are only intended for WRD personnel to perform management related activities on a WMA (such as timber harvest, habitat management, prescribed fire or emergency response). Roads that are typically closed may be open during Big Game hunts to provide better access and evenly distribute hunters. See tip below for how to get more information on access.

Tip Here’s how you can learn more about access before you go to a WMA:

  • check our website ( for notices of road closures
  • obtain a WMA map that denotes area specific access
  • contact the responsible region office regarding questions pertaining to the specific status of roads or access features

Q: How do I know if I need a Georgia Outdoor Recreation Pass (GORP)?

A: Any person, age 16–64, entering any designated fee area on WMAs and PFAs must possess a valid GORP. Persons who possess a valid three-day hunting & fishing, WMA, Lifetime, Sportsman’s, or Honorary license are exempt from this requirement. Designated fee areas are marked with the posting of a sign at the site or area entrance.

A three-day GORP is valid for no more than three days from effective start date and an annual GORP is valid for no more than 365 days from effective start date. A GORP may be purchased at, 1-800-366-2661, or license vendors. Transaction fees apply (please refer to Hunting License Information).

Any individual(s) or organization(s) who desire to sponsor or conduct an event, activity, or series of events or activities involving more than eight individuals on a WMA or PFA may be required to obtain a “Right of Entry” agreement (ROEA) from the Department. A Right of Entry agreement must be formally requested from the Department no less than thirty days prior to the proposed event, activity, or series of events or activities. Events that conflict with the primary uses (e.g. hunting and fishing) of a WMA or PFA may be prohibited. Contact the respective Game Management office for more details. Field trials are currently exempt from ROEA. For WMAs on National Forest, special use permits issued by the US Forest Service may be used in lieu of the ROEA requirement.

Q: Can I camp on a WMA?

A: All camps shall be in designated campgrounds unless otherwise posted at the check station, except that camping is allowed anywhere on National Forest Lands unless otherwise indicated or signed. Forest Service regulations govern outdoor recreation on WMAs located on National Forest Lands.

Camping, or establishment of a campsite, shall be limited to a period of time not to exceed 14 consecutive days; after which the campsite shall be vacated and all personally owned property or physical features of the camp are removed for a period of not less than 7 days. During that 7-day period a new campsite may not be established within the boundaries of the same WMA or within 1 mile radius of the vacated campsite by the same person(s).

It is unlawful for any person to use any musical instruments, radios, televisions, generators or other noise making devices after 10:00 p.m. or before 7:00 a.m. in such a manner that such devices may be heard by other WMA visitors. Camping or driving motor vehicles on managed wildlife openings is prohibited. Carving, cutting, chopping or damaging of live trees is prohibited. Loaded firearms are prohibited in camping areas, except that any person possessing a Weapons Carry License that is valid in this state pursuant to OCGA §§ 16-11-126(f) or 16-11-129 may carry such firearm subject to the limitations of OCGA §§ 16-11-126 and 16-11-127, except where prohibited by federal law. Campers are responsible for their own trash. No person shall unreasonably disturb or annoy others through abrasive, insulting, or threatening words or actions, or disobey any lawful order of a law enforcement official, or act in a manner resulting in a breach of the peace.

Q: Can I collect firewood on a WMA?

A: Only trees that are dead and down may be cut and used for firewood by visitors while staying on WMAs. Annual firewood cutting permits are issued for private use by the region office. On National Forests, firewood permits are available from the district US Forest Service offices.

Q: Can I fish on a WMA?

A: Unless otherwise posted, fishing is allowed on WMAs according to statewide regulations. When fishing on WMAs that are not one of the listed GORP areas, only a Fishing License is required (a trout license is additionally required to fish in mountain trout waters). On WMAs listed as GORP areas, requirements for the GORP must be met in addition to having a fishing license. On these GORP WMA areas, a three-day combo hunting & fishing license fulfills both fishing (non-trout) & GORP requirements. There are other license combinations that fill both GORP and fishing license requirements for these GORP areas (for example, anglers possessing a Three-Day Fishing, Honorary, Disability, Sportsman’s, or Lifetime Sportsman’s License are not required to have a WMA or GORP to fish on these areas.

A Fishing License and a WMA License are required to fish on state Public Fishing Areas (PFAs) and Waters Creek Trophy Trout Stream on Chestatee WMA (see fishing regulations). A trout license is required in trout waters. Anglers possessing a Three-Day Fishing, Honorary, Disability, Sportsmen’s, or Lifetime Sportsman’s License are not required to have a WMA License for fishing.

Q: What are the restrictions for tree stands and other hunting structures on WMAs?

A: Hunting structure means any portable tree stand, ground blind, stool, chair, bucket, waterfowl blind, or other similar device used for the purpose of hunting. Hunters may not construct or hunt from any tree stand that is not portable or natural. Tree stands may not be placed on utility poles or other structures supporting utility lines. For big game and feral hog hunts, hunting structures shall not be placed any sooner than one day prior to the hunt and shall be removed from the WMA no later than 12 noon the day following the hunt. For small game hunts, hunting structures may be placed and shall be removed from the WMA only on the day of the hunt, except that on opening day of dove season hunters shall not enter a managed dove field and hunting structures shall not be placed on a managed dove field prior to 10 a.m.

Q: What do I need to know about riding horses or bicycles on WMAs?

A: Horses and bicycles are restricted to open improved roads, designated trails, or designated areas. (GORP fee may apply. Visit for a list of areas requiring GORP.) Bicycles may be used on closed improved roads for the purpose of hunter access. Horses may be used off roads and trails during permitted field trials. Horses and bicycles may be used on National Forest Lands not otherwise closed. Horses and bicycles are prohibited on the Appalachian Trail.

Q: What do I need to know about motor vehicles (including ATVs) on WMAs?

A: ATVs may be operated only on open improved roads within WMAs during the period between 2 hours before sunrise and 2 hours after sunset one day prior to and during big game, small game, and special hog only hunts by hunters actively participating in the hunt except where otherwise specified according to 391-4- 2-.70. However, on National Forest Lands including WMAs on the National Forest, ATVs are restricted to designated trails unless posted otherwise. Roads may be closed at the discretion of the DNR. Vehicles may not be parked in such a way as to block an open or closed roadway. All motor vehicles are restricted to improved roads open for vehicular access. “Improved Roads” are roads that receive maintenance for the purpose of hunter access, and “Open Roads” are roads not closed with a gate, sign, earthen berm or similar device intended to prevent vehicular access. Motor vehicles (including ATVs, dirt bikes, utility vehicles, golf carts, and other off-road vehicles) must meet applicable safety, licensing, insurance and registration requirements for use on public roads. Vehicle and ATV operators must be at least 16 years old.

Fees on National Forest Lands: Fees may be charged for camping, ATV/ORV trails, shooting ranges, and boat ramps on the National Forest. These fees apply to all users. For more information, visit or contact any US Forest Service Office.

Q: What do I need to know about supervising children on WMAs?

A: “Direct supervision” or “directly supervised” means uninterrupted, unaided visual contact and auditory communication of a child by an adult. All children under sixteen years of age shall be accompanied by and under direct supervision of an adult eighteen years of age or older when hunting.

Adult/Child Hunts on WMAs, State Parks & NWRs (Hunts for those under age 18)

On Adult/Child Hunts for big game, all children (17 years old and under) shall be accompanied and directly supervised by a responsible adult; an adult shall supervise no more than one child. On Adult/Child Hunts for small game, one adult may directly supervise no more than two children (17 years old and under). Adults and children may possess firearms and hunt on small game and non-quota big game Adult/Child Hunts provided that an adult hunting on such hunts shall be directly supervising a child who is actively participating in the hunt. During Adult/Child big game quota hunts, only one firearm is allowed and only the child may hunt. All Adult/Child big game hunts are firearms hunts unless specified otherwise.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Georgia Wildlife Resources Division allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Georgia Wildlife Resources Division Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Georgia Wildlife Resources Division neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: