Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Secure ID Documentation Requirements

Proof of Identity

Acceptable documents for U.S. citizens

Bring 1 of the following documents:

  • U.S. Birth Certificate, Amended or Delayed Birth Certificate – Original or certified copy (Includes U.S territories and the District of Columbia). Note – ‘Keepsake’ birth certificates issued by hospitals are not acceptable;
  • U.S. Passport or Passport Card – Expired less than 10 years.
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by U.S. Department of State (FS-240, FS-545 or DS-1350);
  • State of Georgia Certificate of Foreign Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570), Original or certified copy;
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560, N-561), Original or certified copy;
  • U.S. Military Discharge Papers (For customers born prior to 01/01/1940;)
  • Statement from Social Security Administration Containing Customer’s Name and DOB (For customers born prior to 01/01/1940 – must prove U.S. citizenship. If the document does not indicate where the customer was born, the customer must still provide proof of U.S. citizenship.)

Acceptable documents for non-U.S. citizens

First Immigration Document

(For Proof of Identity)

Second Immigration Document

(For Proof of Lawful Presence)

Unexpired Foreign Passport with valid U.S. Visa (Immigration Status A, B, E, H, I, L, O, P, Q, R, or S) and valid I-94 or I-797

Not required

Unexpired Foreign Passport with valid U.S. Visa (Immigration Status F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2, M-1 or M-2) and valid I-94 or I-797

I-20 (for F-1, F-2, M-1, or M-2 Status) or
DS-2019 (for J-1 or J-2 Status)

I-94 with Asylee or Refugee Status/Stamp

Not Required

I-766 with Temporary Protection Status

Not Required

I-766 without Temporary Protection Status

Unexpired Foreign Passport

I-551 or I-551 Stamp with photo on I-94 form

Not Required

I-551 Stamp

Unexpired Foreign Passport

Visa Waiver Stamp

Unexpired Foreign Passport

Proof of Name Change

If the name on your proof of identity document does not match the current name on your Driver’s License or ID Card, please provide one of the following:

  • U.S. Passport or Passport Card – Expired less than 10 years;
  • Divorce Decree – Stating the name change, Original or certified copy;
  • Court Order for Legal Name Change – Original or certified copy;
  • Court Adoption Document – Original or certified copy;
  • Marriage Certificate/License – Original or certified copy;
    Note – Photocopy is acceptable for those customers who hold a valid GA Driver’s License or ID – Card

    As of June 26, 2015, same-sex marriage is recognized in the State of Georgia.

  • Marriage License Application – Original or certified copy.


Existing Georgia Customers may use the following for proving name change due to marriage if they cannot locate their Marriage certificate or if it is a Church issued certificate. Please redact account numbers.

  • Social Security Administration document showing married name plus one of the following:
    • Bank Account/Financial Statement in married name (please redact account number);
    • Death Certificate for Spouse;
    • W-2 Form in married name;
    • Federal/State Tax Return in married name;
    • Medicare or Medicaid Card in married name;
    • Property Deed, Property Tax Bill or Vehicle Registration in married name;
    • Military ID Card or Military Dependent ID Card in married name.


Existing Georgia Customers whose names have changed for reasons other than marriage who hold a valid GA Driver’s License or ID Card must present the original or certified document which supports the most recent name change;

Customers who are new to Georgia must provide the complete trail of original or certified documents which support ALL name changes or a valid U.S. Passport or Passport Card with the current name.

Proof of Social Security Number

Bring 1 of the following documents:

  • Social Security card – Original or copy;
  • Print-out from SSA with your name and SSN;
  • W-2 or 1099 form from employer showing your name and full or partial SSN;
  • Paycheck stub showing your name and full or partial SSN;
  • SSA-1099 or Non-SSA-1099 form showing your name and full or partial SSN;
  • SSN Denial Letter [SSA Refusal Letter] from the Social Security Administration; (If you are unable to provide such a letter, you will be required to sign an affidavit.)
  • Federal/State Tax Return with Applicant’s name & SSN **Also acceptable for proof of SSN for Dependents**
  • Medicare / Medicaid card with Applicant’s name & SSN;
  • Annual Social Security Statement available at;
  • Selective Service Notice with Applicant’s name and SSN;
  • Military Discharge Papers (DD214) or Military ID with Applicant’s name & SSN.

Proof of Georgia Residency

Bring 2 from any of the following document categories:


The two documents must be from separate sources or separate accounts (please redact account numbers).

The documents must show your name and current residential address. P.O. Boxes do not prove residency.

  • Household Information – From current or preceding calendar year – Mortgage, payment coupon, Lease, deed, HUD settlement statement, escrow statement, property tax bill, Homeowners insurance policy or premium bill, title search documentation or Military housing agreement letter. Current (dated within past 2 years) valid rental contract/agreement, rent payment receipt for a home, apartment, mobile home, dorm, extended stay motel.
  • Any physical postmarked mail delivered by the U.S.P.S.
  • Documents Issued by Federal, State or Local Governments – From current or preceding calendar year – Social Security documentation, Annual Benefits statement, Numident record, Social Security check. Government assistance documents such as Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment insurance claims, Disability, WIC, Georgia or Federal Income Tax Return or refund check, Voter Registration card, unexpired firearms license, unexpired Merchant Marine license, I-797A, I-797C, correspondence from DDS, USPS Change of Address confirmation, Jury Summons, Military discharge benefit statement, and other documents issued by Federal/State/Municipal government.
  • Financial Statements/Utility Bills – Dated within previous 2 years, please redact account numbers. Financial statement for bank/credit union account, investment account, credit card account or loan/credit financing. Utility bill for services installed at your residential address (water, sewer, gas, electricity, cable/satellite TV, Internet, telephone/cell phone, or garbage collection). Please redact account number.
  • Motor Vehicle Information – Vehicle Registration or Title, Insurance policy or Insurance Card with address displayed.
  • Georgia Driver’s License – Valid GA Driver’s License or ID card with current address (valid means unexpired or expired less than two years). Minors and dependents, unexpired GA driver’s license, permit or ID card issued to parent, guardian or spouse residing in same household. For dependent parents, unexpired GA driver’s license, permit or ID card issued to a relative residing in the same household.
  • Employer Documentation – From current or preceding calendar year – Employer verification including paycheck, paycheck stub, letter from employer on company letterhead or W-2 form.
  • School Records – School record/transcript for the current or prior school year, report card, student loan documentation, or form DS-1.
  • Medical Statements – From current or preceding calendar year – Health insurance statement, explanation of benefits (EOB) for a claim, or a health care bill/invoice.
  • Other accepted documents: Department of Corrections Residency Verification Form (DS-752); Refugee Address Verification Affidavit (DS-20); letter from a shelter, half-way house, or other similar facility on letterhead, dated within the last six months. **Accepted as stand-alone proof of residency

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Georgia Department of Driver Services allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Georgia Department of Driver Services Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Georgia Department of Driver Services neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: