School Bus Only
In addition to checking for spare electrical fuses (if equipped), three red reflective triangles, and a properly charged and rated fire extinguisher, school bus drivers must also inspect the following emergency equipment:
- Emergency Kit
- Body Fluid Cleanup Kit
In addition to checking the lighting indicators listed in Loading and Unloading, school bus drivers must also check the following lighting indicators (internal panel lights):
- Alternately flashing amber lights indicator, if equipped.
- Alternately flashing red lights indicator.
- Strobe light indicator, if equipped.
In addition to checking the lights and reflective devices listed in Loading and Unloading, school bus drivers must also check the following (external) lights and reflectors:
- Strobe light, if equipped.
- Stop arm light, if equipped.
- Alternately flashing amber lights, if equipped.
- Alternately flashing red lights.
In addition to checking the external mirrors, school bus drivers must also check the internal and external mirrors used for observing students:
- Check for proper adjustment.
- Checks that all internal and external mirrors and mirror brackets are not damaged and are mounted securely with no loose fittings.
- Checks that visibility is not impaired due to dirty mirrors.
If equipped, check the stop arm to see that it is mounted securely to the frame of the vehicle. Also, check for loose fittings and damage.
- Check that the entry door is not damaged, operates smoothly, and closes securely from the inside.
- Hand rails are secure and the step light is working, if equipped.
- The entry steps must be clear with the treads not loose or worn excessively.
- If equipped with a handicap lift, look for leaking, damaged, or missing parts and explain how lift should be checked for correct operation. Lift must be fully retracted and latched securely.
- Make sure that all emergency exits are not damaged, operate smoothly, and close securely from the inside.
- Check that any emergency exit warning devices are working.
- Look for broken seat frames and check that seat frames are firmly attached to the floor.
- Check that seat cushions are attached securely to the seat frames.
Regulations in red are new this year.
Purple text indicates an important note.