Join the Griffin's Guide HUNTING newsletter
Get weekly news, tips and photos from the world of hunting.
[contact-form-7 id="35884" title="GG Email"]
Bragging Board & Angler Awards Program
Angler Awards Program
Catching a big fish is always a thrill and usually requires exceptional fishing skill. Each year DNR recognizes the achievement of anglers who catch “trophy” fish by presenting them with an Angler Award. Fish do not have to be a new state record to qualify. Applications, minimum weights/lengths for species, and full program details are available at any Fisheries office and atwww.gofishgeorgia.com.
To qualify you must:
- Catch your fish on legal sport fishing tackle in Georgia
(see Fishing Methods).
- Meet the minimum weight or length requirements for that species.
- Take the fish to a DNR Fisheries Office and have it positively identified. A clear side view photo of the fish can now be used for identification in the case of “catch-and-release.” Please call before coming to an office to make sure that someone will be available to identify your fish (list in Contact Information & Offices).
- Complete application and submit it with a clear side view photo of the whole fish to the address listed on the form.
If you think you, or someone you know, caught a new state freshwater record, follow these steps:
- Do not clean or freeze the fish.
- Keep the fish cool, preferably on ice.
- Weigh the fish to the nearest ounce as soon as possible on scales certified accurate by the Georgia Department of Agriculture (at Fisheries Section offices and businesses that sell products by weight) in the presence of two witnesses over the age of 18. Witnesses cannot be members of the immediate family. Estimated weights are not accepted.
- Take the fish to a DNR Fisheries Office as soon as possible and have it positively identified by a DNR fisheries biologist or technician. Please call the office before you come (list in Contact Information & Offices.)
- Complete an application and submit with a clear side view photo of the whole fish within 90 days of the catch.
- Freshwater Records
- Saltwater Records
Regulations in red are new this year.
Purple text indicates an important note.
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Georgia Wildlife Resources Division allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Georgia Wildlife Resources Division Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC & eRegulations.com, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Georgia Wildlife Resources Division neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/eRegulations.com directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: www.jfgriffin.com