Proof of Name Change
If the name on your proof of identity document does not match the current name on your Driver’s License or ID Card, please provide one of the following:
- U.S. Passport or Passport Card – must be valid, not expired with current name;
- Divorce Decree – Stating the name change, Original or certified copy;
- Court Order for Legal Name Change – Original or certified copy;
- Court Adoption Document – Original or certified copy;
- Marriage Certificate/License – Original or certified copy; Note – Photocopy is acceptable for those customers who hold a valid GA Driver’s License or ID – Card
- Marriage License Application – Original or certified copy.
Existing Georgia Customers may use the following for proving name change due to marriage if they cannot locate their Marriage certificate or if it is a Church issued certificate. Please redact account numbers.
- Social Security Administration document showing married name plus one of the following:
- Bank Account/Financial Statement in married name (please redact account number);
- Death Certificate for Spouse;
- W-2 Form in married name;
- Federal/State Tax Return in married name;
- Medicare or Medicaid Card in married name;
- Property Deed, Property Tax Bill or Vehicle Registration in married name;
- Military ID Card or Military Dependent ID Card in married name.
Existing Georgia Customers whose names have changed for reasons other than marriage who hold a valid GA Driver’s License or ID Card must present the original or certified document which supports the most recent name change;
Customers who are new to Georgia must provide the complete trail of original or certified documents which support ALL name changes or a valid U.S. Passport or Passport Card with the current name.
Proof of Social Security Number
Bring 1 of the following documents:
- Social Security card – Original or copy;
- Print-out from SSA with your name and SSN;
- W-2 or 1099 form from employer showing your name and full or partial SSN;
- Paycheck stub showing your name and full or partial SSN;
- SSA-1099 or Non-SSA-1099 form showing your name and full or partial SSN;
- SSN Denial Letter [SSA Refusal Letter] from the Social Security Administration;
- Federal/State Tax Return with Applicant’s name & SSN **Also acceptable for proof of SSN for Dependents**
- Medicare / Medicaid card with Applicant’s name & SSN;
- Annual Social Security Statement available at http://www.ssa.gov/mystatement/;
- Selective Service Notice with Applicant’s name and SSN;
- Military Discharge Papers (DD214) or Military ID with Applicant’s name & SSN.
Proof of Georgia Residency
Bring 2 from any of the following document categories:
The two documents must be from separate sources or separate accounts (please redact account numbers).
The documents must show your name and current residential address. P.O. Boxes do not prove residency.
- Household Information – From current or preceding calendar year – Mortgage, payment coupon, Lease, deed, HUD settlement statement, escrow statement, property tax bill, Homeowners insurance policy or premium bill, title search documentation or Military housing agreement letter. Current (dated within past 6 months)valid rental contract/agreement, rent payment receipt for a home, apartment, mobile home, dorm, extended stay motel.
- Documents Issued by Federal, State or Local Governments – From current or preceding calendar year – Social Security documentation, Annual Benefits statement, Numident record, Social Security check. Government assistance documents such as Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment insurance claims, Disability, WIC, Georgia or Federal Income Tax Return or refund check, Voter Registration card, unexpired firearms license, unexpired Merchant Marine license, I-797A, I-797C, correspondence from DDS, USPS Change of Address confirmation, Jury Summons, Military discharge benefit statement, and other documents issued by Federal/State/Municipal government.
- Financial Statements/Utility Bills – Dated within previous 6 months, please redact account numbers. Financial statement for bank/credit union account, investment account, credit card account or loan/credit financing. Utility bill for services installed at your residential address (water, sewer, gas, electricity, cable/satellite TV, Internet, telephone/cell phone, or garbage collection). Please redact account number.
- Motor Vehicle Information – Vehicle Registration or Title, Insurance policy or Insurance Card with address displayed.
- Georgia Driver’s License – Valid GA Driver’s License or ID card with current address (valid means unexpired or expired less than two years). Minors and dependents, unexpired GA driver’s license, permit or ID card issued to parent, guardian or spouse residing in same household. For dependent parents, unexpired GA driver’s license, permit or ID card issued to a relative residing in the same household.
- Employer Documentation – From current or preceding calendar year – Employer verification including paycheck, paycheck stub, letter from employer on company letterhead or W-2 form.
- School Records – School record/transcript for the current or prior school year, report card, student loan documentation, or form DS-1.
- Medical Statements – From current or preceding calendar year – Health insurance statement, explanation of benefits (EOB) for a claim, or a health care bill/invoice.
- Other accepted documents: Department of Corrections Residency Verification Form (DS-752); Refugee Address Verification Affidavit (DS-20); letter from a shelter, half-way house, or other similar facility on letterhead, dated within the last six months. **Accepted as stand-alone proof of residency