- Check that entry doors operate smoothly and close securely from the inside.
- Check that hand rails are secure and, if equipped, that the step light(s) are working.
- Check that the entry steps are clear, with the treads not loose or worn excessively.
- If equipped with a handicap lift, look for any leaking, damaged or missing part, and explain how it should be checked for correct operation.
- Lift should be fully retracted and latched securely.
- Make sure that all emergency exits are not damaged, operate smoothly, and close securely from the inside.
- Check that any emergency exit warning devices are working.
- Look for broken seat frames and check that seat frames are firmly attached to the floor.
- Check that seat cushions are attached securely to the seat frames.
- Check that entry/exit doors are not damaged and operate smoothly from the outside. Hinges should be secure with seals intact.
- Make sure that the passenger exit mirrors and all external mirrors and mirror brackets are not damaged and are mounted securely with no loose fittings.
External Inspection of Coach/Transit Bus
See that the vehicle is sitting level (front and rear), and if air-equipped, check for audible air leaks from the suspension system.
See that fuel tank(s) are secure with no leaks from tank(s) or lines.
Check that baggage and all other exterior compartment doors are not damaged, operate properly, and latch securely.
- Wherever located, see that battery(s) are secure, connections are tight, and cell caps are present.
- Battery connections should not show signs of excessive corrosion.
- Check that battery box and cover or door is not damaged and is secure.
Remainder of Coach/Transit Bus
Remainder of Vehicle
Remember, the pre-trip vehicle inspection must be passed before you can proceed to the basic vehicle control skills test.
Regulations in red are new this year.
Purple text indicates an important note.