Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Public Hunting: General Information

Brought to you by:

Information on Florida’s public dove fields is available in late September. Visit to get the latest information on special-opportunity dove hunts and dove fields on Florida’s WMAs. Information is updated every Thursday throughout dove season and includes dove densities, previous week’s harvests and field conditions.

Green Swamp camping: Camping permits are available for the archery, general gun, small game, hog, spring turkey, and fish and frog seasons on designated sites within the Green Swamp Wildlife Management Area.

For information on specific WMA’s choose a region below:

National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) hunts: The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has partnered with FWC to make several NWR hunt permits available through FWC’s limited entry permitting system. These are U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service hunts issued by FWC. For more information on NWR hunting opportunities, contact the local NWR office (see Hunting Florida’s national wildlife refuges).

  • Lake Woodruff archery and muzzleloading hunts
  • Lower Suwannee antlerless deer and hog hunts
  • Merritt Island waterfowl hunts
  • handicapped_logo_small.tifSt. Marks archery, general gun, and mobility-impaired hunts
  • St. Vincent Island Sambar and white-tail deer hunts

Quota permits: Quota permits are a specific sub-type of limited entry permits that have their own unique set of rules and regulations on how to apply. Some of these permits allow group applications, guest permits, and the accumulation of preference points. Be sure to check the permit specific information and application worksheets at (under “Limited Entry Hunts”) for a complete list of details for each of these quota permit types.

  • Airboat
  • Archery*
  • General gun*
  • Family
  • handicapped_logo_small.tifMobility impaired*
  • Muzzleloading*
  • Quail
  • Spring turkey*
  • Track
  • Wild hog*
  • Youth
  • Youth spring turkey

*Guest permits are available for this permit type.

Residents age 65 or older; residents with a Disabled Person Hunting and Fishing Certificate; residents in the U.S. Armed Services stationed out of state and home on leave for 30 days or less; and children under age 16 are exempt and not required to have quota permits to participate in many hunts. Due to lease agreements, size and other factors, some hunts do not allow exemptions. Hunts where all persons must have quota permits are listed in bold print on the quota permit worksheets. This also is indicated by the phrase “no exemptions” found under the Quota Permit Information section in specific WMA brochures. Children under the age of 16 may accompany any quota permit holder, age 18 or older, on hunts with “no exemptions” provided the youth and permit holder share a single bag limit. A person whose license indicates Hunter Safety Deferral may hunt with any quota permit holder age 21 or older who holds a hunting license provided that both hunters share a single bag limit. A supervisor (must be 21 years of age or older) who holds a valid license (unless exempt) may hunt with any license holder whose license indicates Hunter Safety Deferral and who also holds a quota hunt permit (must share a single bag limit).

Recreational use permits: Recreational use permits are designed to provide more revenue to private landowners in the Wildlife Management Area (WMA) System. Money set aside by the FWC to compensate those private landowners for hunting use on their lands was not sufficient enough to compete with private hunting leases. Rather than have WMAs drop out of the system, the FWC offers recreational use permits. Fees collected from these permits supplement the private landowners, keeping their lands open to public hunting.

Except for hunting, recreational use permit holders and their spouses or dependent youth (under 16 years of age) may participate in other activities on designated WMAs. Only permit holders and one dependent youth (under 16 years of age) may hunt. If spouses or more than one dependent youth (under 16 years of age) wish to hunt, they must purchase a recreational use permit. These permits also include a management area permit that may be used when hunting other public lands not in the recreational use program.

Recreational use permits are only valid on the area designated on the permit and may not be used on other recreational use program areas. Once permits are issued, they can be renewed annually for two additional years, essentially making them a three-year permit.

The six recreational use areas and their annual permit fees are:

Flint Rock WMA

Jefferson and Wakulla counties


Grove Park WMA

Alachua County


Gulf Hammock WMA

Levy County


Nassau WMA

Nassau County


Relay WMA

Flagler County


Twelve Mile Swamp WMA

St. Johns County


Return to the home page
Brought to you by:
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
This is not the full law. Consult the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission for further details. All persons are reminded that the statutes, code and regulations are the legal authorities.
JF Griffin Media
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: