Driving at Night
Teaching Your Teen to Drive
Do not start night driving until your teen has mastered all driving skills during the daylight hours. Begin night driving in a familiar, low traffic area. Below are the directions to give your teen for driving at night:
- Turn the headlights on when darkness makes it harder to see (no later than one-half hour after sunset). It is illegal to drive using only parking lights.
- Drive more cautiously. Your teen should be able to stop the vehicle within the distance that they can see ahead.
- Leave plenty of room around the vehicle.
- Signal well in advance of every move.
- Avoid looking into the headlights of an oncoming Look to the right edge of the road. Your teen must learn to maintain the vehicle’s direction of travel when the headlights of oncoming traffic make it hard to see.
- Practice all of the skills described for a minimum of 10 hours of night driving.