Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
Join the Griffin's Guide HUNTING newsletter

Get weekly news, tips and photos from the world of hunting.
[contact-form-7 id="35884" title="GG Email"]
No Thanks!

Rules for State Wildlife Areas

Brought to you by:

Hunters are advised to check each area map for specific rules and information.

All vehicles used on wildlife areas must be licensed, use only designated roads, not exceed 20 m.p.h., and not make excessive noise. See wildlife area maps for detailed regulations.

  • No person may trespass into areas closed by the Division.
  • Entry limited from sunrise to sunset, except to lawfully hunt and fish.
  • No camping or swimming without special authorization of the Division.
  • No dumping or littering, no target shooting including paintball.
  • Hunting can only be done as specified on area maps available from the Division.
  • Horses may be used on wildlife areas only on established roads open to vehicular traffic. No off road vehicles registered or unregistered.
  • Waterfowl may be hunted on each area only as posted. See wildlife area maps for details.
  • No firearms on Division lands from March 1 – August 31 except during legal hunting seasons or authorized by the Division of Fish and Wildlife.
  • No rifled guns allowed on lands along the C&D Canal except muzzleloaders and shotguns during the deer seasons when it is lawful to use such firearms.
  • Firearms may not be discharged on Sunday except in designated areas.
  • No firearms are permitted on dikes and walking on dikes is prohibited during the waterfowl season.
  • No trapping on state areas without a valid lease. Leases will be bid in September of each year.
  • Non-resident hunters may not participate in deer drives.
  • Small game hunting closed during some deer seasons. See area maps for details.
  • No baiting for deer hunting.
  • Rabbit dogs may be trained on some areas on Sundays during September, October, and November except for the Sunday during firearms season. See specific wildlife area maps for dog training regulations.
  • No permanent non-state deer stands are allowed and all parts of a portable deer stand must be removed at the end of each day’s hunt. No screw-in steps or stands allowed.
  • It shall be unlawful to possess, consume or be under the influence of alcoholic beverages, liquors or drugs while hunting or in the possession of firearms when on lands administered by the Division.
  • Collection and removal of any wildlife species from a State Wildlife Area is prohibited unless otherwise provided by statute, regulation or authorized by the Division Director.


Maps for all state wildlife areas may be obtained from the Division of Fish and Wildlife Office, 89 Kings Hwy., Dover, Delaware 19901. Regulations covering each area are included. Individuals can receive up to 5 maps free. Additional maps will cost 50 cents each. A complete booklet of maps can be obtained for $5.00 plus $1.00 for shipping. Maps are also available for free on the Division’s Web Site (

  • Hunters should note that days open for hunting some species on public lands may vary from the general hunting season. Hunters should check the regulations for each public area they plan to hunt.

Wildlife Area Deer Stand/Waterfowl Blind Lottery Permit

Hunters that use a State Wildlife Area waterfowl blind or deer stand for hunting that was assigned through a daily lottery must purchase a $20 annual Wildlife Area Deer Stand/Waterfowl Blind Lottery Permit. All individuals must be in possession of this permit when using the blind or stand. These permits can be purchased where hunting licenses are sold or online at The following State Wildlife Areas use a daily lottery to assign blinds and stands: New Castle Co.: Augustine Wildlife Area, Cedar Swamp Wildlife Area / Kent Co.: Woodland Beach Wildlife Area, Little Creek Wildlife Area, Ted Harvey Conservation Area, Milford Neck Wildlife Area (select areas and seasons) / Sussex Co.: Assawoman Wildlife Area.

Rules For
Delaware Forest Service Lands

(Blackbird, Redden,
and Taber State Forests)

(Administered by Delaware Forest Service, Department of Agriculture)

  • For Redden State Forest information call: (302) 856-2893.
  • For Blackbird State Forest call:
    (302) 653-6505.
  • For Taber State Forest call:
    (302) 698-4549.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Brought to you by:
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
JF Griffin Media
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: