Before You Fish
Before you go fishing, crabbing, or clamming in Delaware you must:
- Purchase a 2018 Delaware fishing license and keep it with you while fishing (Fishing License Information).
- Get a free 2018 FIN number (automatically generated with the purchase of an individual license) and keep it with you while fishing (Fishing License Information).
- If fishing for freshwater trout get a 2018 trout stamp and affix it to your license (Freshwater Trout Fishing).
While fishing, crabbing, or clamming in Delaware, you must:
- Abide by size and possession limits.
- Be aware of area and seasonal closures.
Please be aware that:
- Delaware does not have fishing license reciprocity with other states. You must have a Delaware fishing license to fish, crab or clam in Delaware.
- Delaware does not recognize Federal FIN numbers or FIN numbers from other states. You must have a free Delaware FIN (Fishing License Information).
- You must have a New Jersey FIN number if you fish in New Jersey waters of Delaware Bay.
Hey, having trouble identifying your catch? Want to know a good bait to use to catch a certain species? Need to find out what the current state record is for a species? Check out our “Fish Facts” page with loads of helpful information on over 180 species of fish and shellfish you can catch in Delaware waters. Just type fishspecies.dnrec.delaware.gov in any browser and click on a category. Many folks keep it bookmarked on their smartphone for quick access. Enjoy!