Before you Fish
Before you go fishing, crabbing, or clamming in Delaware you must:
- Purchase a 2019 Delaware fishing license and keep it with you while fishing (Fishing License Information).
- Get a free 2019 FIN number (automatically generated with the purchase of an individual license) and keep it with you while fishing (Fishing License Information).
- If fishing for freshwater trout get a 2019 trout stamp and affix it to your license (Freshwater Trout Fishing).
While fishing, crabbing, or clamming in Delaware, you must:
- Abide by size and possession limits.
- Be aware of area and seasonal closures.
Please be aware that:
- Delaware does not have fishing license reciprocity with other states. You must have a Delaware fishing license to fish, crab or clam in Delaware.
- Delaware does not recognize Federal FIN numbers or FIN numbers from other states. You must have a free Delaware FIN (Fishing License Information).
- You must have a New Jersey FIN number if you fish in New Jersey waters of Delaware Bay.
A guide to public ponds, available online, is updated annually with the latest fisheries data. Each pond’s information includes: fish populations, vegetation conditions, special regulations and facilities, and a contour map of the pond.
This information is available at: http://de.gov/pondbook.