Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Essential News & Reminders

  • Hunters and trappers that need to register a harvested deer or obtain a HIP Number, License Exempt Number (LEN), or Snow Goose Conservation Order Permit Number may do so by visiting or by calling the toll free number 1-855-DEL-HUNT (1-855-335-4868). Note that the Snow Goose Conservation Order Permit is only available through the web site. If you have problems with these systems, call (302) 735-3600 during normal business hours (8:00a.m. – 4:00p.m.) Monday – Friday.

  • Hunters and trappers that are license exempt are required to obtain an annual License Exempt Number (LEN) at no cost. See Licensing & Permits for more information.

  • Delaware maintains a fully automated recreational licensing system. Sportsmen can purchase and print licenses from our website 24 hours a day 7 days a week by visiting with a compatible computer and printer. We also partner with over 85 Licensing Agents where licenses can be purchased including our Dover Fish & Wildlife office at 89 Kings Highway. A complete listing of Licensing Agents can be found on our website or by calling 302-739-9918.
  • When purchasing your waterfowl (duck) stamp on the electronic systems, the stamp image is printed on your license if you purchase your hunting license at the same time. If you purchase the stamp separately you will receive the stamp image. The Division no longer mails original waterfowl (duck) stamps automatically at the end of the season (June 30th of each year). If you would like an original stamp sent to you please call (302) 739-9918 and give us your name, address and order ID number after you purchase the electronic stamp.
  • For more recreational licensing information or information on ordering Collector Water fowl (Duck) Stamp(s) and waterfowl prints contact Candace Dunning at 302-739-9918. The collector stamps and prints are not available online.

  • Non-toxic shot: Remember that during September, all dove hunting on State Wildlife Areas must be done using non-toxic shot.
  • Non-toxic shot is required for hunting rails, snipe and moorhens.

  • Conservation Order: The snow goose Conservation Order (CO) is expected to reopen during the winter and spring of 2014 after other waterfowl hunting is closed. When the CO is open, snow goose hunters can use unplugged shotguns and electronic calls. In addition, hunting hours are extended to a half hour before sunrise to a half hour after sunset and daily bag and possession limits are removed. Participants hunting during the CO must have a valid Delaware or Maryland resident hunting license, a 2013 Delaware waterfowl (duck) stamp (Federal stamp not required), a Delaware HIP number and the free CO permit issued by the Division. This permit can be obtained by computer registration at The need for the Delaware waterfowl stamp follows the requirements Licensing & Permits as related to hunter age.

  • The minimum legal snapping turtle size has been increased to 11” and traps must be tagged with the trapper’s name and address, or current year’s trapping license number.
  • A free snapping turtle permit number must be obtained and will be issued at the time of the trapping license purchase. Those who want to trap snapping turtles on lands administered by the Division of Fish and Wildlife will need to contact the appropriate Regional Manager for an additional special permit for these lands. Contact the Wildlife Section at 302-739-9912.

  • It shall be unlawful to possess, consume or be under the influence of alcoholic beverages, liquors or drugs while hunting or in the possession of firearms when on lands administered by the Division.
  • Collection and removal of any wildlife species from a State Wildlife Area is prohibited unless otherwise provided by statute, regulation or authorized by the Division Director.
  • It shall be unlawful to fish in any Division managed ponds except in accordance with conditions set forth on area maps and/or signs.
  • All state wildlife areas open for turkey hunting will now be open for the Youth/Non-Ambulatory Disabled Turkey Hunt. In 2014, hunters may go to any areas they choose. If overcrowding occurs, the Division may add this hunt to its pre-season lottery system in future seasons.
  • Disabled hunters must obtain a disabled hunter certification card to use all facilities and opportunities made available to disabled hunters on State Wildlife Areas and State Parks. For information on obtaining this card, call the Division of Fish and Wildlife at 302-739-9912.

Hunting and trapping license dollars are used to “match” federal aid dollars under the Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Program. License funds cover 25% of approved project costs with Federal Aid covering the rest. Now that’s an investment you can “go wild” about.

Hunters exempted from purchasing a hunting license may voluntarily purchase a license and/or duck stamp. These purchases allow the Division to match additional federal funds for those activities shown in the chart above. The Division thanks all of those who volunteer to financially support wildlife conservation in this way.


Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: