Choose your state

Alabama Alabama Hunting & Fishing

Arizona Arizona Hunting

Arkansas Arkansas Hunting

California Big Game Hunting

Colorado Colorado Hunting

Connecticut Connecticut Fishing Connecticut Hunting

Delaware Delaware Hunting Delaware Fishing

Florida Florida Freshwater Fishing Florida Saltwater Fishing Florida Hunting

Georgia Georgia Hunting 40-Hour Parent/Teen Driving Guide Georgia Fishing Georgia Drivers Manual Georgia Commercial Drivers Georgia Motorcycle Manual Georgia Alcohol & Drug Awareness Program

Hawaii Hawaii Hunting

Idaho Idaho Hunting

Illinois Illinois Hunting

Indiana Indiana Hunting Indiana Fishing

Iowa Iowa Hunting

Kansas Kansas Hunting

Kentucky Kentucky Hunting

Louisiana Louisiana Hunting Regulations 2015

Maine Maine Hunting Maine Fishing Maine ATV & Snowmobile

Maryland Maryland Fishing Maryland Hunting

Massachusetts Massachusetts Saltwater Fishing Massachusetts Hunting & Fishing

Michigan Michigan Fishing

Minnesota Minnesota Hunting

Mississippi Mississippi Hunting & Fishing

Missouri Missouri Hunting

Montana Montana Hunting

Nebraska Nebraska Hunting

Nevada Nevada Fishing Nevada Big Game Hunting Nevada Hunting

New Hampshire New Hampshire Freshwater Fishing New Hampshire Saltwater Fishing New Hampshire Hunting New Hampshire ATV & Snowmobile

New Jersey New Jersey Freshwater Fishing New Jersey Saltwater Fishing New Jersey Hunting

New Mexico New Mexico Hunting New Mexico Hunting Rules & Info – 2016-2017

New York New York Hunting New York Fishing

North Carolina North Carolina Hunting

North Dakota North Dakota Hunting

Ohio Ohio Hunting Ohio Fishing

Oklahoma Oklahoma Hunting Oklahoma Fishing

Oregon Oregon Fishing Oregon Big Game Hunting Oregon Game Bird Hunting

Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Hunting

Rhode Island Rhode Island Saltwater Fishing Regulations Guide Rhode Island Freshwater Fishing Rhode Island Hunting

South Carolina South Carolina Hunting & Fishing

South Dakota South Dakota Hunting

Tennessee Tennessee Hunting

Texas Texas Hunting

Utah Utah Hunting

Vermont Vermont Hunting Vermont Fishing

Virginia Virginia Hunting Virginia Migratory Game Bird Hunting Virginia Fishing

Washington Washington Hunting

West Virginia West Virginia Hunting

Wisconsin Wisconsin Hunting

Wyoming Wyoming Hunting


License & Permits

Hunting Regulations Icon Connecticut Hunting

Licenses and permits to hunt and trap in Connecticut are available online, at most town clerks, and at some sporting good stores and DEEP offices. Licenses are valid for a calendar year. To buy licenses online, or for a listing of places that sell licenses, go to:

Conservation ID#s: Everyone issued a license has been issued a unique Conservation ID# that should be used every time and every year when purchasing licenses and permits. If you log on to the Online Sportsmen Licensing system, or go to a vendor for your licenses, always use your Conservation ID# as a means of identification. You should write your Conservation ID# down and keep it in a safe place. Your Conservation ID# is your license number.

Hunter Education Requirements: No hunting or trapping licenses will be issued to any person unless proof is provided that they have held a RESIDENT license in the respective sport within the last 5 years OR the person has a certificate indicating successful completion of a Connecticut Conservation Education/Firearms Safety (CE/FS) course (or recognized equivalent) in the respective sport for which they are applying. “Apprentice” or “Mentored” hunting licenses issued in other states do not qualify. Courses are available during most months. To become certified in firearms or bowhunting, a person must be 10 years or older. All bowhunters must show proof when purchasing a small game/deer archery permit that they have completed the CE/FS bowhunting course (since 1982) or its equivalent from another state or country. Certifications from another state or country must specify Bowhunter Education. If you have previously purchased a 2002, or later, Connecticut bowhunting license you have already provided such proof. Obtain course listings by visiting the DEEP website at or calling the Wildlife Division at 860-424-3011.

Age 65+ Annual Licenses: Firearms hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses are still issued free to residents who meet hunter education requirements. These licenses must be renewed annually.

Hunting by Minors: A person must be 12 years of age or older to hunt. Persons 12 through 15 years of age must be licensed and accompanied by a licensed hunter 18 years of age or older while hunting. A person may not supervise more than 2 minors at one time while hunting. Minors are entitled to their own bag limits. Junior license holders do not have to purchase a new license if they turn 16 years of age during the same calendar year.

Trapping by Minors: There is no minimum age requirement for trapping. Persons under age 16 must purchase a Junior Trapping License.

Free License for Hunters with Disabilities: A person who has permanently lost the use of a limb may be issued a hunting or trapping license free of charge (permits, stamps not included). Non-residents are eligible for this free license if their state provides the same privilege to Connecticut residents. Verification of the disability, signed by a licensed physician or advanced practice registered nurse, must be presented. These licenses are available at town clerk and select DEEP offices.

Armed Forces: Any active full-time member of the U.S. armed forces may purchase a Connecticut hunting, fishing or trapping license for the same fees as a resident. Proof of full-time membership during the calendar year must be carried while using the license. These licenses are only issued at DEEP or town clerk offices.

Lost License: At any time, you can log on to the Online Sportsmen Licensing system and reprint your license. You can also go to a licensing vendor or DEEP office to have your license reprinted.


Anyone providing fishing and hunting guide services in Connecticut needs to register annually with DEEP. Guides can register online using DEEP’s Online Sportsmen Licensing System (, in person at DEEP offices, or at other vendors where hunting and fishing licenses and permits are available. There is a $100.00 fee for this registration.


  • Required when using traps to catch snapping turtles. Available for free online or at DEEP offices.
  • Season Dates: July 15 – September 30
  • NEW! Bag Limits: Daily 5, Possession 10, Season 10
  • Size Limit: Minimum 13″ shell length
  • Turtle eggs cannot be taken and turtle nests cannot be disturbed without DEEP authorization.
  • Legal Methods: Hand capture, dip net, turtle hook, floating or non-floating turtle trap, or hook and line.
  • A maximum of 3 turtle traps can be used per individual at any given time, traps must be set in such manner as to allow turtles to surface and breathe and be constructed of 1” minimum mesh size. All traps must have a functional escape hole with minimum diameter of 7.5” to allow passage of fish and smaller turtles. Box-type traps cannot exceed 4’x4’x4’ and hoop-style traps cannot exceed 84”. Traps must be tagged with a plate or tag visible above the water line bearing the Conservation ID# of the trapper. All traps may only be tended by the authorized trapper and must be checked at least once every 24 hours and emptied of catch. Any other wildlife captured must be immediately released at the point of capture.
  • Traps cannot be used on any body of water owned, leased or otherwise under control of the DEEP.
  • Using a hook and line to capture snapping turtles requires a fishing license

Three-Day Out-of-State Bird Hunting License

NEW! This license allows out-of-state hunters to hunt migratory and resident (non-migratory) game birds for three consecutive privilege days (Sundays not included). The $35 fee for this license will go into the Game Bird Conservation account, which is exclusively for the purchase and management of game birds and their habitat. Out-of-state hunters will still need to purchase a Connecticut Migratory Bird Conservation Stamp and/or a Connecticut Resident Game Bird Conservation Stamp, depending on what species they intend to hunt.

Take a Hunter Education Course!

The DEEP Wildlife Division offers courses in firearms, bowhunting, and trapping education. Obtain a listing of available courses and sign-up at



(Ages 18 – 64)



NON-RESIDENT 12 and older

Firearms Hunting



see below


Firearms Hunting & Inland Fishing




Firearms Hunting & All Waters Fishing




Firearms Hunting &
Marine Waters Fishing




Archery Deer/Small Game



see below


Archery Deer/Small Game &
All Waters Fishing






see below


NEW! 3-day Out-of-state Bird Hunting License (must also purchase a Connecticut Resident Game Bird and/or Migratory Bird Conservation Stamp, depending on what species are being hunted.)



Junior Firearms Hunting (Ages 12 to 15)



Junior Archery Deer/Small Game
(Ages 12 to 15)



Junior Trapping (Ages 15 and under)




Age 65+ Annual Hunting License


Age 65+ Annual Trapping License



NEW! Connecticut Resident Game Bird Conservation Stamp





NEW! Connecticut Migratory Bird Conservation Stamp (Now combined with the HIP permit.)





Fall and Spring Turkey Permits have been replaced by the Resident Game Bird Conservation Stamp.

Connecticut Resident Game Bird and Migratory Bird Conservation Stamps

NEW! Connecticut Resident Game Bird Conservation Stamp

  • Valid for Calendar Year
  • Fees: $28 Resident, $28 Non-Resident
    $14 for resident 12 to 17 year olds

This stamp replaces all turkey permits. Required for hunting pheasant, partridge, grouse, quail, and wild turkey. Current firearms hunting license or Small Game and Archery Deer Permit required. When purchased, authorization for resident game bird hunting will be printed on your license.

Connecticut Migratory Bird Conservation Stamp

  • Valid for Calendar Year
  • Fees: $17 Resident, $17 Non-Resident
    $9 for resident 12 to 17 year olds (junior hunters are no longer exempt)
  • NEW! This stamp has been merged with the Harvest Information Program (HIP) Permit. It is required for hunting waterfowl, woodcock, rail, snipe, and crow. When purchased, authorization for migratory bird hunting will be printed on your license. The actual state stamp no longer needs to be signed or carried while hunting. If you want a copy of the actual stamp mailed to you, answer “yes” to the prompt when selecting the stamp for purchase. Physical stamps can also be purchased by mailing a request with the enclosed fee to DEEP Licensing & Revenue, 79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT 06106.

Federal Migratory Bird Conservation Stamp

  • Valid from July 1 through June 30
  • Fees: $25 Resident $25 Non-Resident

Available at most Post Offices. Also available by telephone and online. Go to
for more information. Stamp must be signed in ink across its face. Junior hunters ages 12–15 are exempt from purchasing a federal stamp.

Firearms Deer Hunting Permits

  • A current firearms hunting license is required to purchase firearms deer permits.
  • Lottery permits can be applied for starting January 1.
  • No one may purchase both a State Land Lottery Permit and a State Land No-Lottery Permit. If you are rejected for a lottery permit, you may still purchase a State Land No-Lottery Permit.
  • NEW! Permit fee for resident 12 to 17 year olds is $10.

Deer PermitS



Opening Day


State Land Lottery (includes Controlled Hunt Areas)

“A” Season



Nov. 15

“B” Season



Nov. 25

State Land No-Lottery

“A” Season



Nov. 15

“B” Season



Nov. 25

Private Land Shotgun/Rifle



Nov. 15

Private Land Muzzleloader



Dec. 6

State Land Muzzleloader



Dec. 6

Revolver Deer Endorsement – Fee: $5

Allows persons hunting with a Free Landowner Permit or Connecticut residents hunting with a Private Land Shotgun/Rifle Permit to use a revolver rather than a rifle or a shotgun to hunt deer on private lands of at least 10 acres in size.

Landowner Hunting Permits
(10 or more CONTIGUOUS acres required)

Turkey permits have been replaced by the Resident Game Bird Conservation Stamp. Landowners may take turkeys on their property (any season) with either a Free Landowner Resident Game Bird Conservation Stamp or Resident Game Bird Conservation Stamp. There is no additional bag limit for turkeys due to the free stamp.

Landowner Permits







Free Resident Game Bird Conservation Stamp (required for wild turkey, pheasant, quail, partridges, and ruffed grouse)



Sportsmen’s Dollars at Work

Wildlife management is largely funded through the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Program. This program was initiated by sportsmen and conservationists in the 1930s to provide states with funding for wildlife programs. Funds are derived from a federal excise tax on firearms, ammunition, and archery equipment. These funds are collected from the manufacturers by the Department of the Treasury and are apportioned each year to the states for wildlife programs.