Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
Join the Griffin's Guide HUNTING newsletter

Get weekly news, tips and photos from the world of hunting.
[contact-form-7 id="35884" title="GG Email"]
No Thanks!


Brought to you by:

To obtain permit applications or further information contact the Inland Fisheries Division at 860-424-3474. Convenient fillable PDF forms of the Importation/Liberation, Live Fish Importation and Tournament permits can be found on the DEEP web site (

DEEP’s Inland Fisheries Division administers a number of permits including the following:

importation and/or liberation permit (General)

Authorizes the importation of live fish or live fish eggs from out-of-state and/or the liberation (stocking) of live fish or live fish eggs into Connecticut waters.

  • A liberation permit is necessary whenever an individual or organization stocks live fish or fish eggs into any pond, lake or stream in Connecticut.
  • An importation permit is required for the importation into Connecticut of live fish or fish eggs.
  • See “Note,” below.

Live Fish Import Permit

Required for commercial fish hatcheries and bait dealers to import live fish or live fish eggs into the state.

Note: No permit is required to import common aquarium species. It is illegal to release any aquarium fish into public or private waters. Possession or importation of a number of fish species is prohibited. These prohibited species include piranha, walking catfish, black, silver & bighead carp, gizzard shad and all species of the family Channidae (snakeheads). For further information and a complete listing, contact Inland Fisheries at 860-424-3474.

importation and/or liberation permit for triploid grass carp

Authorizes the importation, possession and liberation of triploid grass carp into inspected/approved ponds. Possession of diploid grass carp is prohibited. Triploid grass carp represent one method of controlling nuisance aquatic vegetation. The Inland Fisheries Division inspects all ponds to determine regulatory compliance, particularly to verify that the fish can not escape from the waters in which they were stocked, thereby preventing off-site damage to aquatic habitats. Grass carp information packets and application forms can be obtained by contacting the Inland Fisheries Division at 860-424-3474.

Inland Fishing Tournament/Derby Permit

Required to conduct a fishing tournament or derby on inland waters open to public fishing involving anglers 16 years of age and older. Open water catch-and-release-only tournaments can be granted an exemption from Bass Management Area special regulations (exemptions available for all Bass Management lakes from September 1 through June 30, exemptions granted only for Gardner Lake and Mansfield Hollow Reservoir from July 1 to August 31). Additional guidelines and restrictions may apply for open-water trout tournaments/derbies conducted on waters managed by the state for trout.

Marine Fishing Tournament/Derby Registration

DEEP’s Marine Fisheries Division administers a number of permits including the following:

A permit is required to conduct a marine fishing tournament or derby in Connecticut that is open to persons 16 years of age and older as described under section 26-159a-26 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies (see back of application). There is no charge for the permit.

National Saltwater Angler Registry

Congress, through the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, called on NOAA Fisheries to create a national registry of saltwater anglers. As required by the Magnuson-Stevens Act, NOAA will deliver to congress a report on all the efforts underway to phase in the new Marine Recreational Information Program (MRIP)—a partnership working to improve saltwater recreational fishing data collection and provide more informed fisheries conservation.

The registry will improve data collection by creating a universe of saltwater anglers, essentially a phonebook of fishermen. This resource will help reduce bias and improve the efficiency of catch and effort surveys. Instead of asking a random sample of coastal U.S. residents if they’ve gone fishing (what is currently done), an angler registry would allow surveyors to call upon those who have already identified themselves as saltwater fishermen. The National Saltwater Angler Registry team is in charge of creating this “phonebook” of anglers to ensure that marine anglers are accurately accounted for.

Anglers please note:

New York, Rhode Island and Massachusetts also have marine license requirements. Though Connecticut has reciprocity with these neighboring states, residents of Connecticut are required to have a CT Resident Marine Waters Sport Fishing License to fish in the Marine District.

Connecticut anglers holding valid Marine Waters Fishing License are exempt from National Saltwater Angler Registry.

For more information, please see or

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Brought to you by:
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The The Official Fishing Regulations from the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with The Official Fishing Regulations from the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The The Official Fishing Regulations from the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
JF Griffin Media
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: