Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation



To obtain permit applications or further information contact the Inland Fisheries Division at 860-424-3474. Convenient fillable PDF forms of the Importation/Liberation, Live Fish Importation and Tournament permits can be found on the DEEP web site (

DEEP’s Inland Fisheries Division administers a number of permits including the following:

importation and/or liberation permit (General)

Authorizes the importation of live fish or live fish eggs from out-of-state and/or the liberation (stocking) of live fish or live fish eggs into Connecticut waters.

  • A liberation permit is necessary whenever an individual or organization stocks live fish or fish eggs into any pond, lake or stream in Connecticut.
  • An importation permit is required for the importation into Connecticut of live fish or fish eggs.
  • See “Note,” below.

Live Fish Import Permit

Required for commercial fish hatcheries and bait dealers to import live fish or live fish eggs into the state.

Note: No permit is required to import common aquarium species. It is illegal to release any aquarium fish into public or private waters. Possession or importation of a number of fish species is prohibited. These prohibited species include piranha, walking catfish, black, silver & bighead carp, gizzard shad and all species of the family Channidae (snakeheads). For further information and a complete listing, contact Inland Fisheries at 860-424-3474.

importation and/or liberation permit for triploid grass carp

Authorizes the importation, possession and liberation of triploid grass carp into inspected/approved ponds. Possession of diploid grass carp is prohibited. Triploid grass carp represent one method of controlling nuisance aquatic vegetation. The Inland Fisheries Division inspects all ponds to determine regulatory compliance, particularly to verify that the fish can not escape from the waters in which they were stocked, thereby preventing off-site damage to aquatic habitats. Grass carp information packets and application forms can be obtained by contacting the Inland Fisheries Division at 860-424-3474.

Inland Fishing Tournament/Derby Permit

Required to conduct a fishing tournament or derby on inland waters open to public fishing involving anglers 16 years of age and older. Open water catch-and-release-only tournaments can be granted an exemption from Bass Management Area special regulations (exemptions available for all Bass Management lakes from September 1 through June 30, exemptions granted only for Gardner Lake and Mansfield Hollow Reservoir from July 1 to August 31). Additional guidelines and restrictions may apply for open-water trout tournaments/derbies conducted on waters managed by the state for trout.

Attention Anglers Age 65 and Older

  • „ The free resident “lifetime” inland fishing, hunting and trapping licenses for individuals age 65 and older became annual licenses effective October 1, 2009.
  • „ All “age 65 and older” free inland fishing, hunting and trapping licenses obtained since October 1, 2009 must be renewed annually.
  • „ Additionally, all “age 65 and older” free marine fishing licenses must be renewed annually.
  • „ Holders of age 65 and older “lifetime” Connecticut inland fishing licenses obtained prior to October 1, 2009 are not required to reregister, however, should one misplace this “lifetime” license, they will need to obtain a free replacement by registering through the Automated Licensing System (from their home computer or at a participating vendor).
  • „ All individuals with “lifetime” hunting or combination hunting and fishing licenses will need to register themselves in the Automated Licensing System to obtain the appropriate permits and tags along with their unique Conservation ID#.
  • „ For assistance, contact DEEP Licensing and Revenue (860-424-3105).

Discarded fishing line and other trash

Anglers are reminded that any person who intentionally discards fishing line or other litter in the waters of the state, on public property of the state or on private property not owned by such person is subject to a fine under section 22a-250 of the general statutes.

Each year, DEEP’s Wildlife Division receives numerous reports of birds and other animals that have been injured or killed after getting tangled in our trash. Discarded fishing line, hooks, lures and weights are often left behind by unthinking anglers at fishing sites, and have caused serious injury, illness or death to wildlife. Please dispose of these items and all other trash properly.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: